my candela maple faceplate upgrade-now with a picture

lazydays

« Reply #20 on: 4 Jun 2006, 05:06 pm »
Quote from: Tweaker
Thanks, I missed that thread. Good looking unit and a good idea to make a window in your new faceplate, the tubes look pretty cool.
 I have a tube preamp that I need to sell. It's been sitting in the closet orphaned because it is not remote controllable. I stuck it back in to the system the other day to see how it would compare to my Marsh preamp and wow. Just seemed like there was a lot more texture coming through. It's like denim compared to polyester. The Marsh is very nice but it does seem to smooth things over just a bit.

how well I know your situation! I yanked out a solid state preamp out of my upstairs system to help me break in my extreme mono blocs, and put in an older Conrad Johnson PV10AL that is in near mint condition. Wow what a difference. Now I know of a preamp that's soon to be given away!
      And while on the difference a tube makes in a sound system, you should hear the difference a tubed output stage makes in a CD player!
Almost a joy to listen to.
gary

Tweaker

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jun 2006, 06:09 pm »
lazyday,
I've always thought that a tubed cd player would be a really good idea. I have Squeezebox now so that is not an option any more and I'm also using the DAC from my Behringer DEQ2496 which sounds very nice for the money. I've played around with the idea of inserting a tube buffer into the chain and even tried the Musical Fidelity X-10 which did not add the slightest trace of tube goodness so it got sent back. Space-tech labs makes a variety of tube buffers that look promising but I really think the way to go is a tubed preamp and the Candela would really seem to fit the bill.
Nice job on the faceplate, rosconey. I can't help but feel that it's staring back at me though. :o

rosconey

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jun 2006, 09:03 pm »
Quote from: Tweaker
That is a great idea. It is something I've been thinking about doing to the faceplates of my power amps. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

you know-if your wood is thick enough(bevis and buthead laugh-you said thick wood-huhuh)say 3/4"make the style faceplate you want and router out the back side so it fits over the existing odyssey faceplate,use some 2way tape to hold it on-

if you do this i claim all the glory-now that i think aboot it my amps could use alittle more oomph looks wise 8)

btw-today i sanded and applied the first coat of tungoil-grain just pops with attitude-i love it-

want to make you one with some eyebrows? maybe a smile :wink:

btw-the unit under the candela is a tube cdp :mrgreen:

Tweaker

« Reply #23 on: 4 Jun 2006, 09:30 pm »
btw-the unit under the candela is a tube cdp

That's right, rub it in.
My amps are Van Alstine Omegastar. Now I'm sure you understand why I might want to replace the faceplate with something nicer. (What did you do with that pink corian you are no longer using?).

rosconey

« Reply #24 on: 4 Jun 2006, 10:23 pm »
same thing-trace your faceplate on a piece of wood and go-i suppose you could do it to any amp-
kind a wood cover-

and you dont want the pink corian-its fugly as all hell-and small pieces thats why i cut up a little piece for a top cover and didnt use the grey-
i do have a piece of grey corian(cheap granite look) thats 5"x 40"x3/8

the cdp is a shengya s10-paid $425 a few years ago with shipping and tax-total steal-

rosconey

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jun 2006, 12:40 am »
a little update-

today i decided to add some brass button head tacks to the knobs for some show(inset in the dimple) and will also use them as stop spots for the different source's on the new faceplate-
also found a 8"x 8ft piece of maple that also has a  grain like the piece used for the pre-more red than brown but works for me-has a dark grain split with the clear grain-so tomorrow i start my soon to be famous-

AMPOVERS
-
worlds first aftermarket amp cover that goes over your existing faceplate :mrgreen:

will keep the look the same as the pre

rosconey

Re: my candela maple faceplate upgrade-now with a picture
« Reply #26 on: 1 Jul 2006, 08:09 pm »
well i havent started the amp overs yet- but i did start the cover for the candela-all i can say is i am a sick puppy-

its so stinkin sweet its beyond description-

will try and post some photos when i can borrow a camera-

1/2" maple with 2 special riser's for 8 extra tubes built into the top-so now you can show off your tubes and your rig at once-

nice little maple cover over the tube access hole -so the whole cover doesnt have to come off too swap-

im not being modest when i say i should be lead designer for a audio company that wants the best looking equipment in the industry-

when i send it back in for the remote volume im afraid klaus wont sent it back-