connecting external DAC to HD-AVA

envydd

connecting external DAC to HD-AVA
« on: 1 May 2021, 07:50 pm »
Hi there I have a HD-AVA that I have been very happy with - paired with LS50 + Martin Logan sub. Of late I read some reviews of all these "cheap" 9038 and 4499 based DACs that measure so well on audiosciencereview and I wanted to try it for my needs. Maybe I won't even find a difference due to my ears :)

Which analog input would have the least amount of signal path. I guess the amp is a IDA16 module so I would love to know how to get an analog input directly fed into the amp and then to the speakers without the multichannel DAC's in the way.

Thoughts?

rustydoglim

Re: connecting external DAC to HD-AVA
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2021, 09:16 pm »
We tried ESS9038, 9028, and the good old 9018. I can tell you that you shouldn't base your decision just because of the chips or measurement improvement that you can't hear. The challenge of making a DAC that measured too well is figure out how to make it sound natural.
So if you really want to try another DAC, evaluate it based on its overall sound quality, not the chip.

envydd

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2021, 11:02 pm »
Agree with you. Hence wanted to try a 9038 based DAC with the AVA to keep most of the variables the same .... and just listen. If I dont find a difference, I will not care about the specs and  I am all good for a few more years. :)

Hence my question.... is AN1 my best bet? FWIW I have been using the AVA as a simple 2.1 audio system to leverage the amp and drive it via the USB (computer) and the optical input (chromecast audio)

envydd

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2021, 12:38 am »
BTW I connected a DAC to AN1 and I might have bricked the AVA :( I saw the display freeze and the buttons froze. Power cycled and it won't turn on. Bad experiment :( That DAC powered my friend's NCore power amps well so the DAC is functional

Is there something I can do on my own. Sending that brick to a service center won't be fun amidst a pandemic :)

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2021, 12:19 pm »
Connecting another DAC to the analog input shouldn't brick the HD-AVA. Did you connect by accident to the output? Anyway, you should create a help desk ticket, support staff might have some suggestion to reset it.

envydd

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2021, 04:16 pm »
Thx Jason. I connected it to AN1 but I might have connected to the preamp outs for a bit by mistake and disconnected it soon. I loved that amp for the last few years and hope to resurrect it. I have compared with a hypex 502MP and a ice AS1200 based amp and it was very similar when paired with the ls50.

Opened a ticket. Fingers crossed
« Last Edit: 2 May 2021, 05:19 pm by envydd »