stratos and power conditioners

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #20 on: 13 Nov 2004, 07:19 am »
Verdammte Sauerei,  Du bloedes Arschloch, geistesloser,  hirnverbrannter,    ^&$%^$^&%&*.  Guess  that's what you mean,  Mike :lol:   Well,  kind of.  Seriously,

1.  of course the transfomer are 220  capable,  but ys,  we'll have to do it.

2.  Haven't heard a conditioner yet other than my own,  a Symphonic Line that is especially build for amps,  where there isn't a trade off.  Of course I haven't heard the BPT's,  but there are some aspects to consider,  i.e.  the bumping up o the actual voltage going to the amps  as observed by some of my customers.  So,  I have a ?  on this,  and yes,  the SL  is expensive,  about 2 K.

3.  Lastl,  a dedicated line and really good outlets do make a difference, yes.  As electronic engineers would tell you,  it's bs,  BUT  if I can hear enough of a positive differenc,  then I'm in.  And in I am.

Late

hifimojo04

« Reply #21 on: 13 Nov 2004, 03:03 pm »
Klaus,

Maybe you'd consider making an Odyssey Line power conditioner..   I'm sure you'd get LOTS of customers!

djbnh

Re: powerconditioning
« Reply #22 on: 13 Nov 2004, 03:07 pm »
audioslave wrote:
For the longest time, I had my Stratos/Tempest plugged into my Monster Power conditoner. Then finally I had enough sense to try just plugging the amp into the wall and BAM! So much more dynamics. It made a big difference even on the Tempest as well. I guess my power conditoner was just filtering out too much and was also not supplying enough current to my equipment. I would never go back to any sort of power conditioning for this combo. I guess my 20amp lines help.

Thanks for the info re: Tempest. I have a set-up similar to yours, but have always run the Stratos from the wall and the Tempest from the Power conditioner. I'll give the Tempest a try straight fromt the wall and see if it makes a difference.

audioslave, you were exactly right re: Tempest. Thanks, I'll quaff a homebrew tonight to salute you!  :beer:

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 14 Nov 2004, 07:08 pm »
I have played around with power conditioners (for amps) many years... I have also built a couple of my own in the past utilizing line transformers used in 4kVA FERRUPS units! ( I had access to this beasts from a company I worked for that manufactured UPS's)...and my experience tells me NO for amps... so far. I have not experienced the BPT 3.5.

As Klaus indicated voltage output is critical as it will affect bias settings on the amps even as low diferentials of 1 or 2 volts! I can attest first hand to this...

I just finished   :P a dedicated HT/Music room that included five independent 20A circuits wired with 12-gauge wire! I have one circuit powering my Extreme Monos only, a second circuit for the line (source) components using dedicated quad boxes on both circuits, and the other three circuits for additional outlets, lighting and small office space. As stated before, the use of good quality AC box outlets is critical. I used good industrial grade screwed in type outlets. Stay away from clip-ons!

I do have however a power conditioner for the source components. I have been very pleased so far...

Klaus... I am still waiting for you to come and listen!

AlexG

KarlDL

« Reply #24 on: 14 Nov 2004, 11:10 pm »
Agree fully with those who advocate direct powering of Stratos, using dedicated circuit from house breaker panel if at all possible and oversized wire (#10AWG seems like a good compromise).  Thatt provides the lowest possible power source impedance for the Stratos, which is highly desirable from transient-capability and dynamics perspectives.  I will probably do this sometime in the next few months.  Here in Chicagoland, it's not a trivial project because conduit is required in residences by code.  In my case I have to traverse the entire width of the finished basement to get to the family room, with lots of conduit crossings to contend with.

An alternative approach to the noise from other electronics in the home, such as PCs, etc., is to put filtering between those items and their power sources.  That won't keep your washer and power saw from affecting the line, but it will cut down the "little stuff".

Karl

speyer

« Reply #25 on: 15 Nov 2004, 03:30 am »
Another plug for the BPT.  I use a 2.5 (??) Signature (not sure about the model but it's not a 3.5) on my Extremes and it takes them to another level of performance.  I do not notice any loss in dynamics.  My speakers are the current hungry Apogee Duetta Signatures, and I compared the dynamic performance with and without the BPT and did not hear a loss.

The BPT made a bigger difference to my Sony 777ES sacd player.  It removed a glare and a bit of harshness from the sound and rendered the music more enjoyable.

djbnh

Re: powerconditioning
« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2004, 10:32 pm »
Quote from: djbnh
audioslave, you were exactly right re: Tempest. Thanks, I'll quaff a homebrew tonight to salute you!  :beer:

Sorry to report I have to reverse things and re-run the Tempest from the Power Conditioner. I note the Power Conditioner runs off one duplex, and the Stratos runs off another duplex.

When I followed audioslave's advice, I ran the Tempest from the same duplex as the Stratos. There was no issue with the CPD as the source. Subsequently I tried the phono section, with the overhead lights on, and got a very pronouced buzz (There's no issue with the CPD in the Stratos+Tempest+same duplex configuration.) With the overhead lights off, there's no issue. I might have to try a Chris VenHaus "Hot Box" in place of the Power Conditioner, since I think the circuit is the issue. Of course, I could run a dedicated line or two...$$...