The new Onix Ref 1's vs. 1801's

jackman

« Reply #40 on: 2 Jun 2003, 12:32 am »
Hi Bob,
I wanted to give you a call but got tied up with family stuff...

Anyway, I installed the new crossovers today and found several mistakes I made installing them originally.  They sound very good and, although my memory is not good in this area, I believe they are slightly better on Rock music than the original model (slightly better bass).  They also sound very good on jazz and light rock.  

Let's get together next week for some comparitive listening between the Ref 1's and the 1801's.  You are welcome to come here or I can come over to your house if you would rather.  Like I said, the difference is subtle, but it appears Dave's new crossover is an improvement over the older model.  

Thanks!

Jack

PS-I accidentally hooked the tweeters out of phase originally (on the first revision) and did not sand off the insulation on the ribbon wire connecting the resistors to the tweeter.  Believe it or not, as I have found, this makes a major difference.  I'm a certified electronics idiot...

hectic1

« Reply #41 on: 2 Jun 2003, 01:35 am »
We'll do Jackman!!
I guess we will have some results for you in a week or so on session # 2.. 8) :duel:

Any luck on getting that UFW-10 that we talked about? If not, I can bring mine over so we can hear them paired with a quality sub. I brought my Ref 1's upstairs on Friday and paired them with the UFW-10 and I must say I was impressed. With crossing them over at 80hrz and adding the sub they become and entirely different animal! :beer:

Thump553

« Reply #42 on: 3 Jun 2003, 05:00 pm »
Wow, I would have loved to be at that session.  The Ellis and the Sapphire are probably 1 & 2 on my short list (such as it is, haven't actually heard either) and I'm very intrigued by the Ref.

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #43 on: 3 Jun 2003, 05:26 pm »
Yes, a Saphire, Ref1, Ellis follow-up shoot-out would be great.

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Busy, Busy, Busy
« Reply #44 on: 5 Jun 2003, 02:49 am »
I have been extremely busy with your taxpayer dollars these last few weeks.  I am attending a G.I. school in Alabama that is quite hectic, but quite eductational too.  The American taxpayer is getting his/her moneys worth.  My comments will be terse.

- I am glad that Jack finally got his tweeter removed.  That bugger was wedged in that baffle pretty tight.

- I am glad that Jack figured out his problem.  I have made many mistakes VERY simialar to this one.  Even guys that know about electrics make mistakes.  Mistakes are the sole reason I measure every speaker that leaves my home.

- One guy commented about the cost of components in a speaker and how that does not directly infer a good sound.  He offered that the crossover implementation is very critical.  I totally agree!  // I am very capable of designing a good crossover, but Dennis Murphy can execute a great crossover.  Eventually, I will co-design a speaker with Dennis and learn more.  I spent a few days with Dennis and the Chiropractor in late May and learned a bunch.  I also learned that some of my ideas and thoughts about crossovers were quite valid.  While my knowledge and ability is certainly not comparable to Dennis, I might have some potential. // And, not all drivers that are more expensive are also better.  There are some exceptions.  I believe my choice of drivers at their respective price-point remain unmatched for my design goals - world class midrange and highs with acceptable bass to 40hz.  

Dave