Flat kit??

bubba966

Flat kit??
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jan 2003, 06:11 pm »
We had two panel saws in the shop. But a 5'x12' sheet wouldn't fit in the damn thing!

Woulda been nice had it fit...

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
For Josh
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2003, 05:38 am »
I haven't checked the forum for a few days, please forgive my slow response.

I don't plan on doing a flats kit for a few reasons.

1.  I make sawdust in the order that I receive deposits from folks.  If I make sawdust in the form of a flats kit, it would still be ahead of other folks who have faithfully sent me $.

2. I am getting better with my joints, but still manage to be 1/64" off on a regular basis.  This is quite intolerable for anyone wanting to paint their speakers.  They would need to do a bunch of hand-sanding, or use a bunch of bondo.   This 1/64" isn't a problem for me.  I just hedge a little long, and trim the excess MDF.

3.  Screws have VERY little holding power in MDF edgewise.  They are terrible!  I have even tried the hi/lo screws for particle board.  They are no better.  MDF is good in many aspects, but screw holding is NOT one of them.

Darren and I have corresponded at some length, and fully endorse his cabinet skills.  Darren is good, very good.  His cabinets for Al were built at a slave-labor wage.  I don't expect this to continue for long.  Please feel free to correspond with Darren concerning his $ for cabinets.

Nikko

Flat kit??
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2003, 04:58 pm »
I'd like to put in a plug for the guy who did my cabinets.........

If you're in or around Colorado I found a guy who will build the cabinets per Dave's spec. He does excellent work. He did mine in maple with a natural finish and I can provide closeup photos for anyone interested. I'm about to have my sub done in maple by him as well (if I can find someone to help me lift it into my truck).  :wink:

Jim McFarland
J&M Showcase
(303)772-9176