Where is the fuse?

Wind Chaser

Where is the fuse?
« on: 20 May 2018, 07:09 pm »
Hey Tommy,

Desktop Maraschino’s, where is the fuse and what it the value?

TIA - John.

mfsoa

Re: Where is the fuse?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2018, 10:41 pm »
I think Tommy poo-poos fuses. His big amps used to have a breaker - I just picked up a Mega from him yesterday but I don't recall if this had a breaker as well.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2018, 01:39 am »
I think you might be right but I’ll wait for Tommy to report back.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2018, 03:31 am »
Hey Tommy,

Desktop Maraschino’s, where is the fuse and what it the value?

TIA - John.
John,

DTMs don't use fuses, but the 1kW power supplies do.  Please send me a regular email about it (support address) if you need details.  By the way, Cherry MEGAs do have breakers just like Classic Cherry Amps.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2018, 03:47 am »
Thanks Tommy.

The reason I asked is I tried one of those so called audiophile fuses and not expecting much - if anything at all, I was quite surprised by the difference it made in my DAC. So the next step would be to install them everywhere else in my system...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2018, 07:44 am »
Thanks Tommy.

The reason I asked is I tried one of those so called audiophile fuses and not expecting much - if anything at all, I was quite surprised by the difference it made in my DAC. So the next step would be to install them everywhere else in my system...
What DAC?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2018, 02:50 pm »
Nuprime DAC-10. The fuse in question is "HiFi Tuning Supreme".

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2018, 03:22 am »
Nuprime DAC-10. The fuse in question is "HiFi Tuning Supreme".

One fuse?  Is the fuse in the power supply or elsewhere?   Thanks.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2018, 03:44 am »
Yep, only one fuse adjacent to the AC in.  Why an “audiophile fuse” should have any impact on sound quality is beyond me. Never would have believed it if I had not tried it, but the difference is obvious.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2018, 06:22 am »
Yep, only one fuse adjacent to the AC in.  Why an “audiophile fuse” should have any impact on sound quality is beyond me. Never would have believed it if I had not tried it, but the difference is obvious.
I totally agree.  These device should not make a difference.  Here's an explanation I posted on Facebook a while back....

--------
Well designed equipment does NOT rely on clean AC power.  It cleans the power instead.  Take the DAC DAC for example....  DC power is provided externally, and internally, it is filtered then DC/DC converted and isolated.  From there, it is filtered again and linearly regulated with high performance, super low noise regulators. From there, additional filtering is applied and re-applied for the various circuit sub-sections.  There is NO measurable difference in the output measurements (FFTs, THD+N over freq and amplitude, SNR, etc.) between 1Vpp noise on the power supply and 10mV of noise on the power supply.  PLUS, this power supply is regulated, so it's already nearly immune to even the most horrendous AC line fluctuations.  Cherry power amps use similar techniques to alleviate the concern over clean AC Mains.  This is how you do it, folks.  No voodoo required, just good engineering.
--------

-Tommy O

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2018, 02:52 pm »

--------
Well designed equipment does NOT rely on clean AC power... No voodoo required, just good engineering.
--------

-Tommy O

:thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2018, 05:31 pm »
Well designed equipment does NOT rely on clean AC power.  It cleans the power instead.

I don't think these so-called audiophile fuses claim to clean the power. All I know is I was once was a skeptic, and now I am not. The HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse really works well in my system; much better than the various power cords I've tried over the years. And those power cords cost way more than the fuse.

As for the DAC DAC, I'll probably pick one up by the end of this year. However because it doesn't have a volume control, I will plug it into the preamp section of my Nuprime DAC-10. Should make for an interesting comparison.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2018, 02:17 pm »
I don't think these so-called audiophile fuses claim to clean the power. All I know is I was once was a skeptic, and now I am not. The HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse really works well in my system; much better than the various power cords I've tried over the years. And those power cords cost way more than the fuse.

As for the DAC DAC, I'll probably pick one up by the end of this year. However because it doesn't have a volume control, I will plug it into the preamp section of my Nuprime DAC-10. Should make for an interesting comparison.
We have a volume control option for the DAC DAC 2 in the works.  It's a digital volume control with an analog control (single turn), so there is nothing added to the analog signal path (our "short path" output circuitry) by addition of the volume control.  In other words, the amazing specifications of the 130dB+ DAC DAC 2 HS are not affected.  We have a working prototype.  More on that soon....  Thanks.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2018, 03:13 pm »
Will it be remote controlled?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #14 on: 2 Jun 2018, 01:10 am »
Will it be remote controlled?
Not this particular device.  The Cherry DPA will.  Thanks.

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2018, 06:55 pm »
Tommy,

Any pictures of the upcoming DPA front and rear ???

DW

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #16 on: 7 Jun 2018, 01:28 pm »
Tommy,

Any pictures of the upcoming DPA front and rear ???

DW
Not quite yet.  We're designing the board now.  Enclosure will be done after that, and we might have a mock-up built for photography.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

sumoking

« Reply #17 on: 24 Dec 2018, 05:05 am »

I think Wind Chaser has proven to me he has a good ear.  If he thinks the fuse sounds better, its credible enough for me to try it.  None of us wants to spend money on audio stuff just to waste money. There are always betters speakers or amps to buy.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2018, 05:06 pm »
I think Wind Chaser has proven to me he has a good ear.  If he thinks the fuse sounds better, its credible enough for me to try it.  None of us wants to spend money on audio stuff just to waste money. There are always betters speakers or amps to buy.
I would demand before/after measurements before purchasing such a thing because a properly designed piece of equipment is meant to use the components that the designer (hopefully an engineer) specified for the design.  However, if the design is sensitive to fuse selection to the point that it affects sound quality, I'd question the designer's skill level.  This is a topic that comes up a lot on our Truth in AUDIO Facebook group.  We have close to 5000 members.  Here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423862904335991