Power in front of the 1801s?

NorthMorgan

« on: 4 Mar 2003, 07:37 pm »
With quite a bit of review and assistance from this board and its members, as well as ellisaudio.com, I have decided that the 1801s will be the starting point for my "system upgrade".

That being the case I am trying to select an appropriate amplifier.  Without going overboard, I have a relatively large room, say 20x14, listening position 3/4 back (maybe a little less).  I listen to a lot of stuff, from Jazz, Rock, Pop, and Classical.  My initial thoughts are IRD MB-100/LeAmp if I go SS perhaps Odyssey Stratos, would like to consider tube i.e. JoLida or Consonance.  Although I am concerned about sensitivity of the 1801s with a tube, that is sort of a question.  The JoLida Hybrids might be a great compromise, as would an integrated unit.  Especially price wise, which I would like to stay around $1000 - $1500.

I am interested in suggestions, advice and what folks actually use now.

Thanks in advance.

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Amp
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2003, 08:17 pm »
If'n you want a decent power amp, I suggest something from Frank VanAlstine.  His FET Valve significantly bettered by Bryston 3B-ST when visiting with Kevin Becker a few months ago.  Both amps can really push serious juice, but the FET was much quieter - less grit.

I currently use a Jolida 302B.  I haven't used my Bryston since the Jolida arrived about 2 months ago.  The Jolida has more juice than I need.  I think it is a very good match for the 1801.  

Tube amplifiers are current limited.  The impedance dips to a low of 6.2 ohms in the 1801.  This is very respectable, and makes life with the Jolida very viable.

I have published some stuff on my web page titled "watts and ratings".  This is good information.  Most folks think they need 100wpc to drive a speaker.  I belive this falacy comes from years of amplifiers that merely don't EXPLODE until reaching 100wpc.  My old Kenwood 125wpc amp is a classic example.  I believe it clips at about 35wpc.  Gimme' a GOOD 35wpc tube or 60wpc SS and I'm fine.  My first good amp, the Bryston 3B-ST, was/is overkill.

This is a good topic.  I am interested to hear how often other folks actually use a full 100+wpc in their rooms.

Dave

Nikko

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2003, 12:14 pm »
I would suggest tubes and either the Sonic Frontiers Power 2 or Audio Research VT100 MKII. While both are more expensive than your $1500.00 limit they'll make the 1801s sing better than any solid state amplification I've heard. Either of these amps can be had used on Audiogon for around $2k. And both of these amps have big balls and will drive the 1801s with ease.