My new website

Darren Thomas

My new website
« on: 18 Feb 2003, 05:03 pm »
Hi all,

Just wanted to let people know I have set up my new website showcasing my enclosure work. If you are interested take a peek. Nothing special, just good information for those looking to have some speaker enclosure work done or just want to see what the process looks like.

http://www.ThomasWoodcraft.com

Bones

Awesome!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2003, 04:08 pm »
Looks awesome Darren!

Wow, your craftsmanship is awesome and definetly something to shoot for as I make my own!  

I especially like your pics taken during the buld process.  They will be a help as I build my own I'm sure.

Jamie

Darren Thomas

Re: Awesome!
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2003, 04:22 pm »
Quote from: Bones
Looks awesome Darren!

Wow, your craftsmanship is awesome and definetly something to shoot for as I make my own!  

I especially like your pics taken during the buld process.  They will be a help as I build my own I'm sure.

Jamie

Thanks! Glad the pics will be of help to you. :)

nathanm

My new website
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2003, 10:23 pm »
My compliments on your excellent craftsmanship!  Pictures like those really help illustrate the skill that goes into making something as seemingly basic as a speaker cabinet.  Man, I love those crisp, clean edges.  Wow!  Very tight.  Pictures like those also give me serious woodshop and tool envy!  :cry:

markC

My new website
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2003, 07:16 am »
Very nice work! I get splinters just thinking about those boxes! Any thoughts/comments about a Diappolito design with the w18e001's? These drivers look very impressive although a few more spl's would be nice.

Darren Thomas

My new website
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2003, 04:28 pm »
Hi Markc,

Thanks for the nice words about my work. I myelf probably wouldn't be the guy to ask about "speaker design". I'm just now learning about designing enclosures, I currently build proven designs like the 1801. I bet Dave Ellis would have good information for you though.

Darren

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
For Mark C
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2003, 01:09 am »
Mark,

I provided some very thorough remarks on the MTM idea elsewhere in this forum.  So a search for MTM and you will find them.

"These drivers look very impressive although a few more spl's would be nice."

Have you ever heard the 1801?

markC

My new website
« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2003, 05:36 am »
No Dave, I have not heard the 1801, although I am quite facinated by the info on your web site about them. They are quite impressive by numbers and even more visually impressive. I would love to hear a pair of your speaks, but alas don't know how that would be possible without spending the money. Even building them on my own would cost me large, considering the cost of the drivers. I really am interested in a low bottom end, although 40hz isn't that bad. My current Sililoquy's claim to go down to 35 hz@ -3db. A freind is in the process of creating a tube amp somewhere in the 90-100 watt output and will need a pair of quality speaks to complete the situation. I'm pleasad to say that after 4-5 years of helping me with my audio, he has finally caught the bug.  My wife just looked at us as we were taking apart my pre amp this aft and shook her head. It's all about the enjoyment! I'll do a seach for the Diapallito design. Thanks Dave.

markC

My new website
« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2003, 06:23 am »
By the way Dave, is there still a pair of 1801's out there up for audition? I would certainly be interested in signing up for a session!

David Ellis

Marc
« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2003, 08:07 pm »
There is still a pair of 1801s out for audition.  They will travel from SanFrancisco to Ohio in  a few weeks.  Dependent on where you live, the 1801s might visit a location near your home.  The audition list is about 8 months long.

"a tube amp somewhere in the 90-100 watt output "  this is a huge amp.  The electricity from the rails of that amp could probably arc about 10" and still have plenty of current at the point of impact.  Something like that could provide some visceral impact DIRECTLY!  You wouldn't even need to have a woofer.   You could just touch that thing and get the shot.  It'd go right down to you gut - just like a subwoofer!

I toyed with the idea of a 2 woofer 1801, but don't think it is really necessary.  I can understand why/where most folks think this is necessary though.  Not many folks have spent time with a good long-throw midwoofer.  There are only 3-4 to my knowledge.  They are the SS8545/8535, SEAS W18, and Accuton C95.  Usher also makes a decent long throw midwoofer.  Everything else is quite sub-par with respect to throw, impact and sound presure capability.  

I will admit that none of these midwoofers will approach the impact of a 3 way with a huge woofer.  This is the direction I am heading with my next project.

Dave

EProvenzano

My new website
« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2003, 08:56 pm »
Hi Dave,
Hope all is well.

BTW, has anyone bought those big 3 ways yet???
I figure you'll have a few buyers lined up before you're even done.
If not I'll start saving my pennies...will you take a down payment :lol: .

BR,
EP

ps my stereo SCC300's sound fantastic! Many thanks for lettimg me listen to yours. Even tho it may not be "necessary" with the 1801's boy they sure are fun to listen to!

David Ellis

Emilio
« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2003, 02:52 am »
I am glad you like the SCC300 drivers and the cabinets you created.  The SCC300 really doesn't stink!

BTW, do the twins sit on your lap and listen to music?  And... more importantly, how is your wife holding up?  I am sure she is shouldering a HUGE quantity of work.

I have so many projects happening that I haven't made much more progress on the big 3-way.  I'll be driving to Alabama in May and spending a few days with Dennis Murphy in Wash D.C.. Since I have to drive my truck, I'll take the cabinets with me to Dennis's house.  Maybe my Fall I'll actually have something done with them.

Dave