One Day to the Next?!

headshrinker2

One Day to the Next?!
« on: 11 Sep 2011, 04:36 pm »
I think my ears are going insane.  Today, I throw some tunes on the hifi.  Everything is sounding terrific.. just the way I like it.  No quibbles.  No distractions.  More satisfying than yesterday?!  I've experienced this many times in the past, but I've never been sure how to explain it. 

Others experience this?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: One Day to the Next?!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2011, 04:43 pm »
I have also experienced this from time to time when I perceive that my audio system sounds a little different, or perhaps more accurately, what I remember as "different." The root cause I assign to this phenomenon is my frame of mind or emotional condition at the time.

Be well...   

SoundGame

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2011, 05:06 pm »
I've experience this myself a number of times. Despite doing everything the same - same warm-up time, same recording, same seating position - on occassion, things just sound just that much better - locked in, smooth, euphoric.

I agree with Laundrew - and believe this is due to state of mind.  It's when you really relax and let the music take hold of you - you then experience more pleasure in it and in what you attribute to your system.

Other times, my kit is employed to help me relax, in such situations, it takes a few songs or albums before I get into the "Zone" as it were.

Sasha

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2011, 05:33 pm »
Not the state of mind but the state of power grid.
Clean(er) power that you get from time to time does wonders to performance of your gear.
And this is regardless of power conditioning you may have.
I came to this conclusion due to the fact that I experience this phenomenon during times when power grid is not taxed.
It may also be due to lower RFI during those times as well, but I do not believe it contributes much in my case because there are no significant fluctuations in number of electric devices I have on in the near vicinity.

JfTM

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2011, 10:07 pm »
It also can be due to a number of physical issues.

This was discussed on another board I'm on.  While playing a test LP one of the members was shocked that his hearing peaked at 8K.  Well concerned and shocked.

He posted right away and a number of other members chimed in that varying blood pressure, fatigue, exposure to ambient noise, etc. all contribute to reduced hearing abilities.

saveloy

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2011, 10:57 pm »
I think my ears are going insane.  Today, I throw some tunes on the hifi.  Everything is sounding terrific.. just the way I like it.  No quibbles.  No distractions.  More satisfying than yesterday?!  I've experienced this many times in the past, but I've never been sure how to explain it. 

Others experience this?

It's very difficult for me to make a judgement on this.  Especially when you haven't listed your level of alcohol consumption!

Kyri

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2011, 11:32 pm »
My 'take' on this is the 'spiritual' environment in your vicinity.
The non corporeal beings in your immediate vicinity make a difference.
Seems an insane idea, but it matters.
If a whole pile of heavenly beings are also listening along with you, you are going to enjoy it more.
Same for Devas, demons, angels, dakinis, gandharvas.. etc.
I call it having Dakinis dancing on my cables...
Whatever floats your boat....
Attracting spiritual beings is sort of like attracting birds... just different.
LOL!  :roll:

nomeans

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2011, 03:05 am »

:rotflmao:

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2011, 04:31 am »
No, it's the cannoli!

It's scientifically proved by the horse head people, it not only tastes funny, it can make you feel funny too.  Ahhh those evil lil tubes!

headshrinker2

« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2011, 11:05 am »
 :lol: What kind of music have you been listening to these days Elizabeth?!

My 'take' on this is the 'spiritual' environment in your vicinity.
The non corporeal beings in your immediate vicinity make a difference.
Seems an insane idea, but it matters.
If a whole pile of heavenly beings are also listening along with you, you are going to enjoy it more.
Same for Devas, demons, angels, dakinis, gandharvas.. etc.
I call it having Dakinis dancing on my cables...
Whatever floats your boat....
Attracting spiritual beings is sort of like attracting birds... just different.
LOL!  :roll:

rob80b

« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2011, 04:14 pm »
My system appreciation has been fairly consistent until just recently, balance starting swinging to the right, which I blamed on allergies, then I felt my vinyl sounded a bit distorted which I blamed on the cartridge/needle, then there was a bit of leakage and buzzing from the phono to the balance 1 input, also there was an increase in static when turning the input selector, at which point giving the input selector a couple of back and forth rotations hoping to self clean the contacts I lost volume on the left channel of the phono stage and then the other inputs. :bawl:
Well to make a long story short I did the normal trouble shooting and came to the conclusion the BP25P was the culprit :idea:, so before sending her off to Bryton I popped the lid.

The contacts for the input selectors are not completely sealed although there is a partial plastic covering, by saturating the corner of a very thin piece of paper with methyl hydrate I was able to clean the contact points and voila all of the above mentioned problems were eradicated  :banana piano: and the selector noise which was always there from day one was also cleared up, zero static, silent. Maybe even the erratic tick I hear from time to time when playing the BCD-1 was attributable to a dirty contact but only time will tell.
So with a little internal house everything sounds better than I ever remember. :beer:

SoundGame

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2011, 04:24 pm »
Good work Rob - nice fix and nice to know. 

Interestingly enough - the BP6 / B60 selector is fully shrouded - making it harder to do the same cleaning.

rob80b

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2011, 04:41 pm »
Good work Rob - nice fix and nice to know. 

Interestingly enough - the BP6 / B60 selector is fully shrouded - making it harder to do the same cleaning.

I know, the volume and input selector on my BR60R are both noisy, short of sending it to Bryston there is little to be done, the BP25P is now completely silent. The oxidization must have been gradual on the wiper, my BP25P is from 2002, but it is a bit concerting that one small contact can affect the whole system performance. I tried at first applying a bit of alcohol which did little, but making a swab between contact surfaces from thin paper did wonders.

SoundGame

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2011, 04:45 pm »
Well, if you find a similar fix for your B60R, please do share.   ;)