Super 7 Flat Packs.....

Captainhemo

Re: Super 7 Flat Packs.....
« Reply #220 on: 2 May 2019, 02:26 am »
Getting there....

And to go with the  custom Uber  my buddy dave over  at  PI Audio   recently  built  and  surprised me  witha  custom  tamo Ash  case, had to build some amp boxes out of the same

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #221 on: 2 May 2019, 02:32 am »
Looks really good Jay!

Captainhemo

« Reply #222 on: 2 May 2019, 02:38 am »
Looks really good Jay!

thanks Rich, wish I could capture  how the paint  actually  looks...
this  may be  be a bit better  but  still not    what  one sees in room
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnSEQtbK-lY

jay

ebag4

« Reply #223 on: 2 May 2019, 02:55 am »
Very cool Jay, I love the colors you have picked for your last two speakers, tangerine and tequila sunrise, terrific!  Those amp cases are gorgeous as well.  Looking forward to your thoughts regarding the sound.

Best,
Ed

nrenter

« Reply #224 on: 2 May 2019, 06:46 pm »
Can you get by without using no-rez on the fronts? Hate to see any of that paint covered.

JBELT01

« Reply #225 on: 2 May 2019, 09:59 pm »
Looking good Jay, reminds me of the Tequila Sunrise Oticas that are sounding awesome in my listening room (and I don't even have proper electronics yet)!  Thanks again for such a wonderful listening session at Don's place, you guys are the ultimate hosts!  My wife was just recounting our visit to some friends here in Wenatchee, it was her first trip to Canada and you guys set the bar really high!  Subs went together perfectly but we have not painted them yet.  I did finally pick up some clamps so the amp boxes will get assembled this weekend if all goes according to plan. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #226 on: 3 May 2019, 12:14 am »
Thanks Ed.   Yes, the colors  are similar but  different... these  are  a bit more intense, especaill when the  sun hits them or  even how the room lights reflect on the  edges  I'd say. Amp boxes are  coming along,  a couple more sessions with the danish  oil  and  they should be good.  All filled up with  oil  /  Tamo Ash slurry.   I may not even top coat them... we'l see.

nrenter, ,   I know how much those  woofers load the  h-frames  so I'll be using the no-rez. Kind of a shame to cover  it up but  there will still be  lots of color visible :)

Looking good Jay, reminds me of the Tequila Sunrise Oticas that are sounding awesome in my listening room (and I don't even have proper electronics yet)!  Thanks again for such a wonderful listening session at Don's place, you guys are the ultimate hosts!  My wife was just recounting our visit to some friends here in Wenatchee, it was her first trip to Canada and you guys set the bar really high!  Subs went together perfectly but we have not painted them yet.  I did finally pick up some clamps so the amp boxes will get assembled this weekend if all goes according to plan.

Hey John,  so glad to hear  you've got the Otica's up and running    and  are enjoying them.  They are a great  set of speakers.  Also good to know  you've got the subs  all glued up and had  no issues.
Feeling is mutual   ,  you  two were  great  company,  we   had  a  really  good time  too !!  If you  are  ever back up this way, be sure to call or email .

jay

SoCalWJS

« Reply #227 on: 3 May 2019, 05:50 pm »
Can you get by without using no-rez on the fronts? Hate to see any of that paint covered.
I would love to hear any input on this as well. I definitely want the benefits that the No-Rez provides, but there has got to be a way to make the exposed No-Rez look a bit better (doesn't there?). Even something over the front facing edges would help.

Captainhemo

« Reply #228 on: 3 May 2019, 06:23 pm »
I remember when Tyson   stated that adding the no - rez to his super7's makde  a signifigant improvement and cleaned up the bottom end somewhat.
You  can  miter cut the  no-rez to give a different look

I'll end up  having the  full length grills in place  half the time  ... I usually remove them for any serious listening but for day to tday ,  I've often had them in place with other  speakers
jay

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #229 on: 3 May 2019, 06:43 pm »
I remember when Tyson   stated that adding the no - rez to his super7's makde  a signifigant improvement and cleaned up the bottom end somewhat.

I'll end up  having the  full length grills in place  half the time  ... I usually remove them for any serious listening but for day to tday ,  I've often had them in place with other  speakers
jay

Enough with the foreplay Jay! Time to hear the comparisons of these beauties versus your older NX-Oticas. Give it to us straight bro!

AKLegal

« Reply #230 on: 3 May 2019, 07:04 pm »
There are  a  lot of different adhesives out there, won't be an issue.

I know one guy who glued the tops/bases on his triple h-frames after painting, I believe he used  a clear silicone calk and he says they are   never coming off.
 Right now  I'm  planning on letting this paint cure for a bit then  I'll clean out the dowel holes with a   drill bit so the  dowels are all   wood to wood joints, will use   yellow pva on  them.   Likely the clear  silicone or Melamane  on  the  painted  surfaces.

jay

What brand of caulk did you end up using?

Captainhemo

« Reply #231 on: 3 May 2019, 11:36 pm »
DAP Premium.
I  used wood glue on all the dowels and dowel holes after cleaning out .
I know I've said it before but don't forget to put your  magnets in before glue up !!

Also, I was talking to a  Titebond  (Franklin)  rep  and he was telling  me there is  some new  glue/formula out that  will stick well to  smooth surfaces... I did  not  get  a name for it  but  am going  to look into it.   Remeber too,  the  silicone will stick,   just have to make  sure  you have good  adhesion  between the paint  and  substrate.

jay

emailtim

« Reply #232 on: 4 May 2019, 03:04 am »

The front and corner bevels look great.  I saw someone else do a 1/2 flat - 1/2 bevel on the fronts that also looked great.

SteveKi

« Reply #233 on: 4 May 2019, 10:56 am »
Jay,
Do you have some pictures with the Grills for these. The front is mostly hidden by the Grill isn't it?
Steve

Captainhemo

« Reply #234 on: 4 May 2019, 04:37 pm »
Enough with the foreplay Jay! Time to hear the comparisons of these beauties versus your older NX-Oticas. Give it to us straight bro!

Ron,   they aren't quite done yet .  still need to wire up the  2nd  speaker (this wekend) and am finishing the  sub amp boxes so that I can get the  A370's mounted

The front and corner bevels look great.  I saw someone else do a 1/2 flat - 1/2 bevel on the fronts that also looked great.

Yes,  folks have  cut the no-rez in different ways to  produce different looks, lots of ideas out there.  I left  these pieces a bit longer thanb normal to get as much  of the   hard damping layer contacting the panels as possible.... i bevel cut the rear edge  just  like the front to provide ample  woofer  clearence .

Steve,   I don't have the grills  wrapped yet but yes,  they do cover  most o fthe front .  The very top of the baffle (rounded  section,  is  left exposed as  are the  front edges of the side panels.

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #235 on: 8 May 2019, 09:14 pm »
Eneded up doing a  few more sessions of  grain filling then finished  everything off with 3  satin top coats

Will post  a  fw pics of everything  finished up  in a  day or so
jay

JBELT01

« Reply #236 on: 8 May 2019, 11:17 pm »
Wow, those came out great, you continue to amaze me.

emailtim

« Reply #237 on: 8 May 2019, 11:18 pm »
I like the look of this partial miter cut as mentioned previously.  Found the pict and thread.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139529.msg1558158#msg1558158

Eneded up doing a  few more sessions of  grain filling then finished  everything off with 3  satin top coats

Those amp boxes look fantastic.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #238 on: 8 May 2019, 11:56 pm »
I like the look of this partial miter cut as mentioned previously.  Found the pict and thread.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139529.msg1558158#msg1558158

Those amp boxes look fantastic.

The NoRez in this picture is both mitered and beveled. I've done it this way for a client and to me it looks neater than square cut but it used about 1/3 more NoRez than straight cut so order extra NoRez.

Mike

SlushPuppy

« Reply #239 on: 9 May 2019, 12:49 am »

Will post  a  fw pics of everything  finished up  in a  day or so
jay

Jay, that looks awesome! Really nice work  :thumb: