Demo of aksa 100

Rocket

Demo of aksa 100
« on: 20 Mar 2003, 11:51 pm »
hello,

i have a friend who has a pair of war audio speakers which are made and designed here in perth.  they are an mtm floorstander using the raven 1 ribbon tweeter and 2 x accuton mid/bass drivers.  i caught up with him last saturday at war audio and he was still hoping on buying a bel canto evo amp  (he's been saving for one for about 2 years).

unfortunately for us in australia the amp sells for about $5500 au and like me it is out of his price range.  anyway i spoke to him about the aksa amps and volunteered to demo mine for him.

i went to his house last night and bought a few goodies with me.  firstly i'd like to say his speakers are one of the best that i've heard, unfortunately for me they are at least a level higher than my speakers.

i took my n.e.w. p3 tube preamp, aksa 100 (stock version) and perpetual technologies p3a.  he has a heavily modded kenwood cdp which is about 12 years old, so we initially hooked up the n.e.w. and aksa 100 amp.  his first words were "wow that's a top souding amp and it's not even warmed up".

he had a good listen to the amp for about 2 hours and he is really interested in buying one.  he thinks that they are at least as good as the bel canto, but to be fair we didn't have one to compare it with the aksa.

it looks like hugh will have another sale in the near future.

i have to say that i really really want his speakers but just can't afford them.  as a side note we compared my perpetual technologies p3a dac and his kenwood modded cdp.  to be honest i couldn't hear much difference except i thought the p3a had better bass definition.  my friend thought the pt was slightly better tho.

i thought i'd pass on his impressions of the aksa.

regards

rod