AKSA55 non-plus Nirvana

CButterworth

AKSA55 non-plus Nirvana
« on: 26 Apr 2004, 03:54 pm »
It has been just under two weeks since I decided to upgrade my AKSA55 to the Nirvana.  After a few fraught days when I thought that I had fried the circuit board under one of the caps, then couldn't get the speaker offset to below 20mV, thing began to work.  Thanks mainly to Hugh's calming words of advice.

After ten days of playing, I can hear a good improvement, in spite of certain poor quality components elsewhere in my system.  Even more than the non-Nirvana the transients are much clearer. For example certain cymbal crashes actually sound like cymbals, rather than splashes of white (or pink?) noise with the sound of the metal shining through.

The best thing is that my wife reckons that we ought to invest in another AKSA55 so that we can have audio elsewhere in the house :drums:

Before I do take the plunge with another AKSA, my priority is to buy a pair of intermediate-quality speakers and I have just read reviews in Gramophone of the Mordant-Short 2-way floor standers, which may suffice for a while.

Anyway - what fun!
Charlie