Group Buy: GK-1 Upgrade (AudioCap 40uF & BC560)

Seano

Re: Group Buy: GK-1 Upgrade (AudioCap 40uF & BC560)
« Reply #80 on: 16 Feb 2009, 09:43 pm »
Another reminder...
I am yet to hear from any of you.

-West

You will.......!!

Am unreliably in front of a 'puter this week so only just seen email.

Package is yet to land too.

Greg Erskine

« Reply #81 on: 20 Feb 2009, 04:10 am »
The eagle has landed.  :green:

Thanks again West

whubbard

« Reply #82 on: 21 Feb 2009, 01:53 am »
Thanks Seano. Please let me know when you get it, a lot of others in Vic have received theirs, so it shouldn't be much longer.
...and Greg, glad to hear yours has arrived too.

Only 5 left too pay...and 2 are Americans!  :evil: (And only 4 Americans were involved in the group buy in total). Boy are we unreliable.

-West

[Thanks Angeline, Philip. 3 Left]

« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2009, 06:56 am by whubbard »

Seano

« Reply #83 on: 22 Feb 2009, 10:18 pm »
Thanks Seano. Please let me know when you get it, a lot of others in Vic have received theirs, so it shouldn't be much longer.

Mine showed up late last week..........they're huge!  Nearly threw out the transistors with the packaging....they were so inconspicuous in comparison.

These caps are going to look like sweetmeats hanging off the board!!

And after all this.........Hugh taunts me with a new pre-amp.  Our sponsor is an evil man.

AKSA

« Reply #84 on: 22 Feb 2009, 10:34 pm »
Seano,

Isn't it marvellous that West in NYC, the greatest metropolis in the world (although it will only reach its true beauty when it's finished...) can send a big package of goodies to you in lonely Mildura, a name scarcely known around the globe?  The founding of Mildura by the Canadian Chaffey brothers is fascinating, here:

William Chaffey
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

William Chaffey
Rio Vista, former home of W.B. Chaffey and his family in Mildura, Victoria, Australia.William Benjamin Chaffey (born in 1856 in Brockville, Ontario, died June 4, 1926 in Mildura, Victoria) was a Canadian engineer who with his brother George Chaffey developed what became the cities of Etiwanda, Ontario, and Upland in California, United States of America; and the city of Mildura, Victoria, Australia, as well as the town of Renmark, South Australia.

The Chaffey brothers carried out these developments between 1882 and 1896. In 1896 their Australian projects went bankrupt and George returned to the United States. William Benjamin (known as W.B.) remained in Mildura, however, becoming mayor in 1920 after the development had finally succeeded. Statues of Chaffey stand in Mildura and Renmark today.

[edit] References
Westcott, Peter (1979). "Chaffey, William Benjamin (1856 - 1926)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. Australian National University / Melbourne University Press. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A070687b.htm. Retrieved on 2007-02-22. 
Canadian government digital collections
University of Houston
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Chaffey"

As for being evil, I can only protest that I enjoy preaching to the choir, or poaching to the perverted, as a cynic once remarked!   :banana piano: :deadhorse: :tempted:

Cheers,

Hugh

whubbard

« Reply #85 on: 22 Feb 2009, 10:45 pm »
Isn't it marvellous that West in NYC, the greatest metropolis in the world (although it will only reach its true beauty when it's finished...) can send a big package of goodies to you in lonely Mildura, a name scarcely known around the globe? 

Hugh,

New York will never be finished. We can dream, but sadly it won't happen. The majority of the scaffolding in NYC is due to building codes that require renovations to the outsides of brick buildings ever 5+ years (with major ones every so often), so that will never go away. Also, New Yorkers will keep dreaming and keeping thinking bigger. The buildings will grow, and the city, one way or another will grow too. Therefore, it will never be finished.  :D Even 'unfinished' I do really think it is still beautiful.

Also, I must say what has amazed me the most about all this shipping is the cost. It impresses me that we can now ship a package from the US to Australia for around $10. Forget about tracking, or insurance, but it gets there, and to me, that is very cheap for what is being done. If there is one thing that the governments of the world do a good job with, I must say its the postal service.

-West

kyrill

« Reply #86 on: 23 Feb 2009, 09:11 am »

... If there is one thing that the governments of the world do a good job with, I must say its the postal service.

-West
Unless the package gets over 20 kg (44 lb) than national posts withdraw and let the sharks come in like DHL, FedEX and so on
For instance with Dutch Post a 20 kg package to Australia is 99 Euro, same package 21 kg is 380 Euro with DHL, 340 Euro with FedEX

AKSA

« Reply #87 on: 23 Feb 2009, 09:17 am »
Well put, Kyrill,

You articulate my thoughts exactly.

What amazes me is the universal acceptance of these companies;  they are revered.  Why?

Cheers,

Hugh

Seano

« Reply #88 on: 23 Feb 2009, 09:25 pm »
Easy..........the knife they shove into your belly is very pretty.  And everyone likes a pretty knife.

PT914

« Reply #89 on: 24 Feb 2009, 07:57 pm »
A big thank you to Ron and West.

These AudioCaps are great.  I replace the Solens with the AudioCaps so I have a AudioCap 40uF and a Solen 47uF at C4(mod)  and a AudioCap 40 uF at C7 burned in at 12 hours.  Amazing soundstage from the start.  Great sound top to bottom.

Thank you thank you,
Philip

fos

« Reply #90 on: 28 Feb 2009, 10:49 pm »
Thanks West,

Caps were sitting on the kitchen table when I arrived home. They look like a support frame is required! maybe silicon?

They will have to wait a while, it appears we will be moving to Perth at the end of the month......AKSA may end up in a box for a while..... :cry:

Cheers, Foster

whubbard

« Reply #91 on: 28 Feb 2009, 11:19 pm »
Hi All,
Everybody seems to have received there caps, which is a very relieving.
I'm justing waiting on payment from Dayne and David.

Dayne was very good about communication, but I can't seem to find him now, it should be fine, it's only $5.

David seems to have vanished, as in, witness protection vanished. His email is deactivated, and PMs aren't getting through. Last time he visited the site was September 27.

It's all good, but if anyone knows how to contact the above two, it would be appreciated.

-West

whubbard

« Reply #92 on: 2 Mar 2009, 01:47 am »
David came back!  :thumb:

So everybody has received there packages, which makes me happy.
Now I think we'll be moving onto how the upgrades sound.

-West

AKSA

« Reply #93 on: 2 Mar 2009, 04:27 am »
West,

I'm absolutely delighted this group buy went well, and that all are in contact and all despatches are being paid for as we speak.

Thank you sincerely from the Aspen throne - a rickety chair of rusty metal and sun-whitened plastic.......    :thankyou: :thankyou: :drums: :beer: :dance: :wine:

Cheers,

Hugh

Seano

« Reply #94 on: 2 Mar 2009, 09:35 pm »
Thank you sincerely from the Aspen throne - a rickety chair of rusty metal and sun-whitened plastic....... 

....covered in red wine & coffee stains......and that's just the cat's chair.

AKSA

« Reply #95 on: 2 Mar 2009, 11:35 pm »
Ah, yes, the cat.....

I feed him daily, but he continues to meow until I feed him his red wine, omigod, the expense.....!!

Hugh

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #96 on: 3 Mar 2009, 02:18 am »
So that’s what I have to do for a glass of red when I come around is it?  Come to think of it though, could be dangerous.  If I tried it with Rob at my place, I’d be dead by the third meow.  Far safer to get the wine myself.

By the way, are you back from Adelaide Hugh and is all well (or well enough)?

AKSA

« Reply #97 on: 3 Mar 2009, 04:51 am »
Lyn,

Back home now.....  things are fine, I believe my Mom will get the most modern operation, only ten done in Oz at this time, she should be fine as it's keyhole surgery, very little trauma.

I'm beavering away on new boards, we MUST VIST A CAFFEINE DEALER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!

Cheers,

Hugh

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #98 on: 3 Mar 2009, 07:24 am »
we MUST VIST A CAFFEINE DEALER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
I just did a double take on that one Hugh - must have been looking at too many Sherlock Homes movies lately!

Love to though will have to fit around preparation for that biennial Avalon event which has taken up the last two Sundays and will compromise the next two as well.  As well as the coffee I need to kick the cat out of the chair as well and have another listen to your latest.  I've become a little upgrade starved after the last 5 or so weeks away.

As to the main thread topic itself, I can't wait to hear the reports as the rest of the recipients incorporate their mods.  I know that in my case the larger (24 rather than 20uf) Solens along with the TKD made a huge improvement so wonder if all will find the AudioCaps as big an improvement as PT914.

Oz_Audio

« Reply #99 on: 26 May 2009, 05:09 am »
Hi all, I am about to rebuild my GK1 with as many mods as I can afford, (yes I have re-read the GK1 Platinum thread) and was wondering if there are any of these sets left. :drool:

I underatand if I have missed to boat.  :duh:

Mark