3/12 Listening Session Report

Adam_Reiter

Re: never discount Steve's stuff
« Reply #40 on: 17 Mar 2005, 08:29 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg
Steve Nugent knows what he's doing and how to get good sound...I've been messing w/ his modded P-3/A (has almost all the latest improvements) using my UDP-1 as a transport and it's pretty amazing. just using all of Steve's interconnects (digital and analog), it is nearly indistinguishable from the sound i get from my UDP-1's analog outs running the Silversmith Palladium ICs...I'm going to try his DAC w/ all Silversmith cabling to see how much more the sound will improve...:cool:

That will be a great test, MD.  Let us know for sure. :)

Mad DOg

« Reply #41 on: 17 Mar 2005, 08:29 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
MD...so what mods did the S7700 have?  Everything except the Superclock?  Jensen caps and all?

I'll see if Steve can chime in and provide us with this info. since my intention was just to demo his DAC and not the transport, i didn't really inquire about what was and wasn't done to the 7700.

PhilNYC

« Reply #42 on: 17 Mar 2005, 08:55 pm »

I'll see if Steve can chime in and provide us with this info. since my intention was just to demo his DAC and not the transport, i didn't really inquire about what was and wasn't done to the 7700.

That would be good...I found that the jump in performance from the basic mod + Jensens to the Turbomod+Superclock was as big an improvement as going from the stock unit to the basic mods+Jensens.  Quite a big difference...

audioengr

« Reply #43 on: 17 Mar 2005, 09:28 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
MD...so what mods did the S7700 have?  Everything except the Superclock?  Jensen caps and all?

I believe this particular 7700 has everything except the modded Superclock3.

Steve N.

KeithR

« Reply #44 on: 18 Mar 2005, 01:14 am »
mad dog- you focus way too much on cables :)

Mad DOg

Interconnect impressons...
« Reply #45 on: 18 Mar 2005, 02:18 am »
I just re-read Jon L's impressions and I gotta say that my opinions are so similar it's scary... :o so in addition to what Jon L has already mentioned, i'm going to add some comments as to how some of these cables synegized w/ other gear i've tried.

depending on the system and personal preferences, i can see how some would prefer one cable over the other.

the Venhaus Pulsar ICs do everything very well at a price that won't require you to take out a 2nd mortgage in order to outfit an entire system. they have a nice full presentation across the board. neutral leaning towards a bit of warmth in the mids and bass. the different connectors definitely give each Pulsar a slightly different personality. the Silver Eichmanns being a little leaner sounding in the mids and bass vs the copper Nextgens. the Silver Nextgens provide more detail and clarity with less bass overhand than the copper Nextgens. mids aren't as warm either. worked beautifully w/ the Dodson DAC-263 which had fabulous details in the highs and tight, tight bass w/ little overhang. midrange was a little more relaxed w/ the DAC-263 so the more forward nature of the VH cables compliments this DAC well.

the CryoTweaks Silver Ref MkII has been my reference cable for some time now. while it does have more detail, separation and clarity as well as tighter more extended bass, the midrange does retain the "silver" signature depending on gear. w/ my Esoteric DV-50, the CT IC leaned out the mids a bit too much so the music was less engaging overall. w/ the McCormack UDP-1 and Dodson DA-217MkII, the mids sounded just fine. the CT IC is on the cooler side of neutral. less silver sounding than most any other silver cables i've tried.

the next 4 cables set themselves apart from the rest in how their presentation. all of them allow music to flow effortlessly but do so in such different ways. often folks feel that once you get to a certain level of cables, the differences are minor from there on out. the 3 cables will redefine the limits of what you thought was possible from a mere cable...

the Audioquest Sky is a SUPER dynamic cable and throws up a grand soundstage. bass is thunderous. mids are bold and full. highs are detailed and sparkly! although the conductors silver, because of the extremely full-bodied presentation, the sound reminds me more of copper except with far more detail and clarity.

the Silversmith Silver ICs will impress you with their precise imaging, exacting soundstage capabilities, and again unlike any silver cable i've heard, offers one of the most natural presentations. midrange is neutral, yet remains engaging and breathtaking all at the same time. neutral to warm system will love this cable. analytical sounding systems will only sound worse cuz these are extremely revealing and don't add anything euphonic to the sound.

Harmonic Tech Cyberlights were very good. They had a sound that was very different and difficult to categorize cuz I have not heard anything quite like it in the past. I'm anxious to hear them driven off the battery power instead of the wall wart as a few folks have told me the wall wart only gives you 70% of the performance that the battery pack will give you. stay tuned for an update on this...

Silversmith Palladium ICs...as Jon L so aptly put...Kaboom! :o  :o  :o  in my system, these were simply unbelievably transparent, dynamic, revealing and unfortunately way out of reach price-wise... :cry: i only wish they'd have been too detailed or too analytical or too dry...incredible sounding ICs these are. and they work equally well as digital ICs, too!

I will reiterate that every single one of these cables sounds fabulous in their own right. However as always, you'll have to try them in your system to see which one works best for you!

Until next time, happy listening, everyone! Thanks for reading...:cool:

Ric Schultz

« Reply #46 on: 20 Apr 2005, 07:07 am »
Just noticed this thread including Cyberlight cables.  FYI, I am developing a super duper battery supply for the Cyberlight cables.  So far, my beta tester thinks it is killer.  I will have prototypes ready to ship in about 2-3 weeks.  As was said the Wall Wart is not very good but the stock battery supply ain't that great either.   I have a Cyberlight cable here along with the stock supply.  I should have the design done in about 7-10 days and will post results and A/B tests in Marketplace.  I can send a prototype supply for any further tests versus other cables.  

Ric Schultz
EVS
tweakaudio.com

Jon L

« Reply #47 on: 20 Apr 2005, 06:02 pm »
Quote from: Ric Schultz
Just noticed this thread including Cyberlight cables.  FYI, I am developing a super duper battery supply for the Cyberlight cables.  So far, my beta tester thinks it is killer.  I will have prototypes ready to ship in about 2-3 weeks.  As was said the Wall Wart is not very good but the stock battery supply ain't that great either.   I have a Cyberlight cable here along with the stock supply.  I should have the design done in about 7-10 days and will post results and A/B tests in Marketplace.  I can send a p ...

Jeez Louise Rick.  Is there anything stock out there that's "good enough" for you:)  I'm sure your battery supply will be killer, but hopefully you didn't resort to the humongous sealed-lead-acid battery types !

shokunin

« Reply #48 on: 20 Apr 2005, 07:03 pm »
When I listened the to all the cables at MD's place he had the working battery pack.  I felt that the battery pack was a significant improvement over the wall wart.  Transient response and attack improved, pace and dynamics were spot on, the wall wart felt slow and constrained compared to the battery pack.  I can imagine that a more regulated and beefy PS could further improve upon the sound.

Ric Schultz

Good enough?
« Reply #49 on: 21 Apr 2005, 12:10 am »
My definition of an Audiophile is "someone who is not happy with his/her stereo".  Hey, if you were all in total bliss and totally happy with your stereo you would not be reading this.  You would be "just" a music listener.  I do know a few who have dropped out of being Audiophiles and just listen to music but it is rare.  

It is fun to see what is possible with a component.  And cables are now "components".  I am trying very hard to think of a component that cannot be improved.  Cannot, at this point.  All amps and all speakers have binding posts that can be removed for better sound....all switches, fuses and pots color the sound...every brand of solder has its own sound.....it never ends....this is why my whole approach is about purity and simplicity.  The fewer the components (parts/solder joints, etc., included) in the signal path usually the better the sound and then what is left you find the best parts and implement them in the best way possible (damping, orientation, etc.).

So, nothing is ever good enough (on this dualistic plane) except us....we are not only good enough but we are magnificient.....but, our stereo....hey, it still needs some work.....but what fun this work is!

By the way, the battery in the stock Cyberlight battery supply is a 7ah 12V Sealed Lead Acid battery.  You did not think we were going to use AAA batteries, did you?  More to come....much more.

Ric Schultz

Good enough?
« Reply #50 on: 21 Apr 2005, 12:11 am »
My definition of an Audiophile is "someone who is not happy with his/her stereo".  Hey, if you were all in total bliss and totally happy with your stereo you would not be reading this.  You would be "just" a music listener.  I do know a few who have dropped out of being Audiophiles and just listen to music but it is rare.  

It is fun to see what is possible with a component.  And cables are now "components".  I am trying very hard to think of a component that cannot be improved.  Cannot, at this point.  All amps and all speakers have binding posts that can be removed for better sound....all switches, fuses and pots color the sound...every brand of solder has its own sound.....it never ends....this is why my whole approach is about purity and simplicity.  The fewer the components (parts/solder joints, etc., included) in the signal path usually the better the sound and then what is left you find the best parts and implement them in the best way possible (damping, orientation, etc.).

So, nothing is ever good enough (on this dualistic plane) except us....we are not only good enough but we are magnificient.....but, our stereo....hey, it still needs some work.....but what fun this work is!

By the way, the battery in the stock Cyberlight battery supply is a 7ah 12V Sealed Lead Acid battery.  You did not think we were going to use AAA batteries, did you?  More to come....much more.