DEQX Calibrated™ PDC-2.6 Processor

John Casler

« on: 1 Dec 2004, 12:28 am »
Hi All,

With all the talk about the equalizing, room correction, speaker, correction, crossover units, I decided to procure one to try out, in my room and system.

Once in place, I would be happy to host a "small" session, or two, for those who might wish to hear the DEQX PDC-2.6 Processor.

When I say small, I would probably like to keep it to 4-6 people max, since my system means we do a "time share" in the sweet seat.

But I find this unit very exciting  :o and personally would like to hear it.

With the Holidays approaching, timing is everything, so I am open to times and days.

And while I am not a dealer of this line, I do have connections for some pricing leeway.

Anyone interested?

mac

« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2004, 12:32 am »
John, How do you plan to use it?

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2004, 02:06 am »
Quote from: mac

Hi Mac,

Basically 2 channel Audio

Transport>DEQX PDC-2.6 Processor>AMP>Speakers

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2004, 02:15 am »
Quote from: John Casler

Hi Mac,

John,

No subs?

Come on, live on the edge... :lol:

George

Mad DOg

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2004, 02:33 am »
Hey John,

count me in! 8)

Mad DOg

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2004, 02:35 am »
Quote from: zybar

Hi Mac,

John,

No subs?

George

i think i know john well enuf to say that his reply includes his subs!  8)

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2004, 02:35 am »
I think what MAC was meaning is are you going to biamp, triamp, biamp + subs or just single amp + subs with the EQ and room correcting functions or what?

By the way, if I were to get my hands on one of these babies I would biamp + subs + speaker correction (in prudence, but probably no room correction).  

Do you know if DEQX uses floating or fixed point algorithms?

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2004, 02:37 am »
Quote from: zybar

Hi Mac,

John,

No subs?

George

Danger is my middle name :uzi:  :peek:  :lol:  :lol:

I meant to say "AMPS"> Speakers (meaning mains and subs)

mac

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2004, 02:38 am »

Hi Mac,

John, While I have no doubt that it will help with room mode problems (they exist to some extent in almost all rooms), I think you'll only be utilizing 30% of its capabilities (YMMV - that's my own number based on my own personal experience).  The PDC 2.6 really shines when it comes to multi-amping due in part to its use of high-order, phase linear filter slopes.  Multi-amping also allows it to correct for amplitude and phase response aberrations.

If you haven't already done so you ought to read the white paper on their site.  It explains their philosophy of what room correction is about.  Also, when you get your hands on one be prepared to do some experimentation with it in your system.

If you want to really be shocked, open up one of your exotic 2-ways and bypass the crossover network (just don't tell BigB).  I’m sure you must have an extra amplifier lying around somewhere.   :wink:

mac

« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2004, 02:41 am »
Quote from: JoshK
Do you know if DEQX uses floating or fixed point algorithms?

It uses two high-end DSP's to perform FP calculations.  The filtering is FIR based.

Mad DOg

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2004, 02:41 am »
I think what MAC was meaning is are you going to biamp, triamp, biamp + subs or just single amp + subs with the EQ and room correcting functions or what?

i'll go ahead and answer for John again...

i'm certain he's planning to "experiment" with as many features as he can. :lol:

probably won't be able to bi-amp since he'd be short a few amps if he plans on running all his subs.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2004, 05:13 am »
John,
This is great.  I have been posting all week that I'd like to take a very hard look at this pre/drc with my RM/X's.  I can't be a part of the listening session cuz I'm frickin 3000 miles away, though.  I've spoken to the folks at DEQX about the way they'd recommend speaker correction testing/measuring with the RM/X's (they impressed me that they did some homework on the RM/X design before calling me back, all the way from Australia).  Kim and Ian are top notch.  I'm thinking of bypassing the woofer/mid xover, and then integrating subs in as well (time and phase integration, the whole thing).  
Ted_B

shauk786

« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2004, 07:41 am »
John,

Count me in. I would definitely like to listen to it.  Since room acoustics/equalization is something I am looking to in the very near future.

Shaukat

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2004, 03:16 pm »
John,

Depending on your findings, I could be VERY interested in a unit with your
"leeway".  I know you run your speakers full way, but I would really be interested in you possibly disconnecting the woofer crossover and going 3 ways: ribbon, woofers and your subs.  If you can test out the ribbons with a tube amp, I would kiss you.  :mrgreen:  Better yet, I would buy another Larger from you.  I am a tube guy and I want to know if all this digital processing still yields robust midrange with "soul" if tube amps are used on the ribbons.

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 1 Dec 2004, 03:21 pm »

By the way, if I were to get my hands on one of these babies I would biamp + subs + speaker correction (in prudence, but probably no room correction).  

I will be bi-amping with 1000wpc to each pair of subs, and the Son of Ampzilla running the 626Rs.  626Rs will have to be run "full range" and that will mean only one x-over from the processor (from subs to mains)

This is entirely for experimental purposes, since I am not yet knowledgable enough about the unit, to know if it is applicable to my needs.

With VMPS, I'm not sure whether RC or SC will be most useful or a combo of both.  It would seem that in a "minimum phase design" that RC would be needed more, but that may not be the case.  If phase is already minimized, it would seem that amplitude corrections of mid to low bass would be on the plate, but I guess I will find out.

Obviously some SC will be needed if "any" x-overs are involved.

Should be fun, and hopefully enlightening.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #15 on: 7 Dec 2004, 01:50 pm »
John,

Did you get a chance to check DEQX processor?  I am curious about what  x-over frequencies and what slope DEQX or DACT processors come up with for different rooms.  Since I am using a Marchand x-over, I have to come up with my own slope (so far all 24dB) and frequency values.  

On a side note, I quited understand Brian's facination with the 1st order slope.  4th order is just a little too steep for the woofers.

John Casler

« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2004, 03:28 am »
Please forgive my absence, but I have been in "DSL HELL"  :banghead: thanks to Verizon and have not had proper e-mail or online service since Thanksgiving.

I am typing this from a dial-up which is temporary.

I will try to get them to resolve the issues soon.

Marbles

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jan 2005, 10:31 pm »
John how is this unit working in your system?

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2005, 10:55 pm »
Quote from: Marbles

Actually I haven't "borrowed" the unit yet.

Problem is, my Laptop died and I have been very busy (Holidays, CES and all)

But As soon as I get these "under control" I'll try to get the demo unit to try out.

I also have a "Special Announcement" regarding how We (VMPS) will be addressing those who wish to use TACT and DEXQ type units with VMPS speaker.

Look in the VMPS forum for details

ekovalsky

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jan 2005, 03:39 pm »
It is highly likely you will be ordering a new pair of VMPS "direct" speakers once you master the DEQX.  After I heard how room/driver correction improved the sound there was no going back.  

The TacT S2150 DAC/amp is superb too.  In no way do I feel I have compromised the system by replacing separate high end DAC and power amp with this unit.

In terms of correction the DEQX has several advantages over the current TacT products.  In particular the ability to implement driver correction separate from room correction will allow for better sound over a larger listening area -- with the TacT the best results are definitely obtained only at the listening position.  The software of the DEQX seems a bit more user friendly too.

Quote from: Marbles

Actually I haven't "borrowed" the unit yet.

Problem is, my Laptop died and I have been very busy (Holidays, CES and all)

But As soon as I get these "under control" I'll try to get the demo unit to try out.

I also have a "Special Announcement" regarding how We (VMPS) will be addressing those who wish to use TACT and DEXQ type units with VMPS speaker.

Look in the VMPS forum for details