Best CD transport for Big 7

Lissnr

Best CD transport for Big 7
« on: 21 Feb 2015, 09:10 pm »
I'm looking for a really good CD transport for my B7. I like the idea of the clamping mechanism found on the Esoteric models and a friend has an Accustic Arts machine which he claims is excellent but both of these are quite pricey, especially in an era where computers and hard drives are the new wave of digital source(s). But I do have a reasonably extensive redbook collection as well as ripped discs so I'd like something that could play both. I'm currently running an Oppo BDP-105 and it's doing a very good job but I can't help thinking there must be something which will prove audibly superior without breaking the bank. It can be either "transport only" or a regular CD player as long as it has coax out... My system is highly resolving and differences are generally noticeable for most changes upstream so I am serious about improvements, however subtle they may be...
 I'd like to stay around $2K or so if possible??? New or used, but I'm open to ideas. For the record I did try a borrowed CEC brand player (forgot the exact model) which sounded GREAT but it was redbook only and couldn't handle anything copied...so it was a deal breaker...
Thanks in advance.  :roll:

wisnon

Re: Best CD transport for Big 7
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2015, 02:58 pm »
From Lukasz:

In case someone needs a CD player to feed my DAC, I can recommend the cheapest TRUE high end transport that is worthy of the Lampizator DAC and worth every cent of its price. It is Teac VRDS-10.
It is THE ONE TO GET.

I bought it today for my lab test room and the improvement is huge !
I know intimately all VRDS players from cheapo T1 to wadia7 and Teac is the one.
I paid for a mint unit with fresh laser and remote - just 300 Euro

Lissnr

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2015, 03:42 pm »
Thank you for the advice I have already started searching for one since your suggestion but no luck so far... If anyone sees/ hears of one you can LMK if you get the chance. Meanwhile, as much as I'd rather not go this far $$$$ I 've read some very good things about PS Audio's Perfect Wave Transport and see them popping up used here and there around my pricepoint. Any opinions on how it would match up with my B7? It has coax out but claims its I2s via HDMI is its best connection and I don't believe that's one of my current hook-up options right now?!Is it a generally reliable unit and would the coax out be noticeably better than what I'm running? So...Just sharing some thoughts out-loud and open to anyone elses. Thanks again.

vortrex

sleep_fox

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2015, 02:26 pm »
If you have ripped all you CD collection and decided to go all the way to PCHIFI, I would recommend Auralic Aries. However, you may need a 5GHZ ready router like Netgear R7000 and a decent USB cable (like TotalDAC) to get the best out of it. You may try your local dealer to have a audition.

branislav

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2015, 02:35 pm »
I have used PS Audio Transport with BIG6 with great results. Recommended.

jriggy

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2015, 02:41 pm »
And I am using the PS Audio PWT with a L4G4 with great results.   :thumb: for the memory buffer.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2015, 05:20 pm »
  Esoteric,  TEAC, Woo Audio and PS audio. My favorite is the CEC 01 [ new] just very expensive. The new one plays copies.

charles

dpatters

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2015, 06:26 pm »
I'm using the Woo Audio with good results.

Don

Lissnr

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2015, 11:02 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I have been scouting and following each of them. Looks like I might have something... Will let you-all know soon.