Crossover assembly 101

Captainhemo

Re: Crossover assembly 101
« Reply #200 on: 19 Apr 2020, 03:53 pm »
You  can buy relatively  inexpensive inductor meters but you'll   get  what you  pay for.
Some audio meters such as the CLIO / CLIO Pocket will  do the job as well but you're getting into    more  $$ but at the same time,  getting  a more  versitile  tool that   may be of mor euse  to you in the future

jay

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #201 on: 19 Apr 2020, 05:04 pm »
You  can buy relatively  inexpensive inductor meters but you'll   get  what you  pay for.
Some audio meters such as the CLIO / CLIO Pocket will  do the job as well but you're getting into    more  $$ but at the same time,  getting  a more  versitile  tool that   may be of mor euse  to you in the future

jay

Thank you for the answer. There are rarely any quick fixes, are there..?  :lol:
The Clio seems awesome but as you said... €€€ :o I think I'll just let this rest for a while instead of putting 100+€ into an LCR that I'll probably use once every third year.

Danny Richie

« Reply #202 on: 19 Apr 2020, 06:40 pm »
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but....
If I wanna rebuild a pair of xo's and can't find the schematics, is there a relatively easy way to find out the inductance of the coils?
/Hilding the noob viking

The only way to get the values on them is to measure them.

Ekim

« Reply #203 on: 25 Apr 2020, 09:17 pm »
Thanks for the thread with all this info.
Looking forward to putting this into practice :D.

Mike:Ekim

PZ

« Reply #204 on: 20 May 2020, 10:02 pm »
Danny, I saw that you recommended the Craftsman Dual Heat Soldering Gun. It looks like its temporarily unavailable from Craftsman. 
Does this Wall Lenk Soldering Gun look like the same gun? or does anyone have experience with it?

In some on line tutorials I saw that solder paste flux is recommended to improve soldering joint. Is flux paste needed or help with soldering crossover for the speaker kit?

Most of the crossovers throughout the thread look to be assembled on 1/4" - 1/2" wood laminate boards. Any suggestions on ideal material specs to use for cross over board? Material type? and how thick?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #205 on: 20 May 2020, 11:40 pm »
From my (little) experience working with soldering, flux is great when working with wiring/attaching/removing things onto a circuit board. It helps prevent accidental shorts when attaching/removing chips, or making new connections in tight spaces.

With more direct point-to-point methods, its not been necessary.

Danny Richie

« Reply #206 on: 21 May 2020, 12:15 am »
Danny, I saw that you recommended the Craftsman Dual Heat Soldering Gun. It looks like its temporarily unavailable from Craftsman. 
Does this Wall Lenk Soldering Gun look like the same gun? or does anyone have experience with it?

That looks like the same one.

In some on line tutorials I saw that solder paste flux is recommended to improve soldering joint. Is flux paste needed or help with soldering crossover for the speaker kit?

Any of the solder that we send out has a flux built in. So you don't have to fool with trying to add flux paste.

Most of the crossovers throughout the thread look to be assembled on 1/4" - 1/2" wood laminate boards. Any suggestions on ideal material specs to use for cross over board? Material type? and how thick?

I usually cut out a piece from some 3/8" MDF.

Striker071

« Reply #207 on: 21 May 2020, 02:00 pm »
I am new to this.   I am so confused.  The way I see this and maybe I shouldn't is ins and outs.  On the picture shown on the first crossover when it looks like a complete loop that goes to no where.  My brain says wait thats a short....  can someone help me wrap this around my brain.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #208 on: 21 May 2020, 02:21 pm »
I am new to this.   I am so confused.  The way I see this and maybe I shouldn't is ins and outs.  On the picture shown on the first crossover when it looks like a complete loop that goes to no where.  My brain says wait thats a short....  can someone help me wrap this around my brain.

I know exactly what you mean. Having worked with DC in cars, boats and houses, plus AC in residential and commercial, it looks like a short. But it works. I can't explain it all electrically, but the voltage dealt with in crossover is miniscule in comparison. Wire like schematics and it will work...really.

Striker071

« Reply #209 on: 21 May 2020, 03:15 pm »
Peter

Thank you for your response.  I was able to find another resource that explained it.  I guess a wiring diagram helped me understand it better and I learned something as well.

I just don't take things on faith when it comes to voltages.  I build my own computers as a hobby.   Put a 12 volt connector into a 5 volt line.... needles to say I watched a little trail of red cook the circuits on the motherboard. About 600 dollars of equipment done in a blink of an eye.   

Phenol

« Reply #210 on: 28 May 2020, 08:23 pm »
Patiently waiting on My XL-s encore kit. I have been looking over the crossover pictures does any one have more pictures I could study?

Danny Richie

« Reply #211 on: 28 May 2020, 10:58 pm »
Patiently waiting on My XL-s encore kit. I have been looking over the crossover pictures does any one have more pictures I could study?

Inductors are suppose to arrive here on Monday. And then about 20 X-LS Encore kits can start shipping.

And I can email you crossover photos.

Carlos74

« Reply #212 on: 29 May 2020, 01:04 am »
Just a side note on building your own crossovers with upgraded parts.

I built new crossovers for my Klipsch RF83, new upgraded parts with same values, from GR Research, and I could not believe the difference that made.  My speakers were practically transformed for the better. Not only to my ears, but the measurements proved what I was hearing. This motivated me to continue with bracing the cabinets, changing internal wiring, just ordered NoRez for internal damping and ordering pure copper binding post, and I am sure this will contribute even more. The sum of all these parts should make a considerable difference for the better, I hope!!

I can't stress enough the impact of upgraded parts for your speakers. It is an affordable difference that could have a huge impact. Try it, you won't regret it. And if you can't hear a difference, at least you learned how to build crossovers and got the doubt out of your system!!

Phenol

« Reply #213 on: 29 May 2020, 01:39 am »
Thanks, That sounds good.

Phenol

« Reply #214 on: 29 May 2020, 04:30 pm »
I hope I will hear a difference. However I wear hearing aids. The dangers of loud music.

PnoT

« Reply #215 on: 8 Jun 2020, 08:02 pm »
I'm just getting around to opening up my Elac B6.2 upgrade kit and figured I'd register and learn a bit.

There doesn't seem to be a B6.2 upgrade post with build instructions or did I just miss it because I can't search at the moment being a new user?

Danny Richie

« Reply #216 on: 8 Jun 2020, 11:00 pm »
I'm just getting around to opening up my Elac B6.2 upgrade kit and figured I'd register and learn a bit.

There doesn't seem to be a B6.2 upgrade post with build instructions or did I just miss it because I can't search at the moment being a new user?

Welcome to AC.

If you watch the video's on the Klipsch RP-600M upgrade then the Elac upgrade is just like it but the crossover values are different. I did five videos on it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJHwsTJyrH4YznoJxZmJHQ/videos

PnoT

« Reply #217 on: 9 Jun 2020, 03:48 am »
Welcome to AC.

If you watch the video's on the Klipsch RP-600M upgrade then the Elac upgrade is just like it but the crossover values are different. I did five videos on it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJHwsTJyrH4YznoJxZmJHQ/videos

I was already skimming those vids for some details  :thumb:

Thanks!

fasteddieb

« Reply #218 on: 13 Jun 2020, 11:55 pm »
Hi,

I am attempting my first build (A/V-O) and am having a little trouble with laying out the crossover. Does anyone have a picture of what the A/V-O assembled crossover should look like? The space is pretty tight! I seem to remember seeing a picture in the past but now I cannot find it.

Thanks!
Ed

BakedFireman

« Reply #219 on: 14 Jun 2020, 01:39 am »

Am I on the right track?
I just watched Danny's video on the klipsch speaker crossover networks , gonna go look all this over again.
it is tying both networks together or how to feed them. can i feed them at the same point? :duh:

:duh:OK disregard ,excellent video Danny , I will go back and do it over.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2020, 04:01 am by BakedFireman »