Mike Lundy for cabinets and completed speakers

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Mike Lundy for cabinets and completed speakers
« Reply #80 on: 17 Feb 2023, 04:49 pm »
I've finally learned enough about using the CAD/CAM program Vectric Aspire that I have designed my first project. Hopefully I'll be able to see if it works properly this weekend. Instead of starting off with something like a sign, my first project is for a pair of speaker cabinets with recessed drivers and a port. I know the machine works fine because Norman has been using it to cut out some of his projects.

I wonder how this first attempt is going to go south?

Mike

praedet

« Reply #81 on: 17 Feb 2023, 05:15 pm »
I've finally learned enough about using the CAD/CAM program Vectric Aspire that I have designed my first project. Hopefully I'll be able to see if it works properly this weekend. Instead of starting off with something like a sign, my first project is for a pair of speaker cabinets with recessed drivers and a port. I know the machine works fine because Norman has been using it to cut out some of his projects.

I wonder how this first attempt is going to go south?

Mike
Any idea on the timeframe on ongoing speakers Mike?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #82 on: 17 Feb 2023, 06:36 pm »
I'm down to three, all of which are in-process. A pair of NX-Studio Monitors are ready for the ceramic coating over the finish then they can be wired up and broken in.

I have some edge profiling to do on a pair of NX-Otica cabinets, the burl veneer has been a royal PITA, every time I thought I was ready do do the edge profiling, I found an issue with the burl that needed to be fixed. Once the edge profiles are done the parts will be ready for finish then glue up. On this pair I am finishing the parts before doing the glue up since the wings are being done differently than the baffles. 

The third pair are monitors and will be the next project for the CNC.

The current CNC project is a flatpack for a pair of horn speakers with 15" woofers.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #83 on: 17 Feb 2023, 06:54 pm »
Michael mentioned the NX-Otica cabinets with burl veneer he has in process. Good time to share some photos I took recently of what he is dealing with and the level of skill brought to bear. The swirling of the grain in burl causes the veneer to be anything but flat. In these before/after photos the veneer as delivered looks like bubble wrap made out of wood! It has to be softened, coaxed flat and dried in a vacuum press, glued on then all the flaws inherent in burled woods dealt with. Compare the raw veneer vs the worked veneer glued to the NX-Otica wing.

JakeJ

« Reply #84 on: 1 Mar 2023, 02:45 am »
Hi Mike,

I have asked in the past but you had said you weren't ready yet.  Maybe now?  I am still in need of a pair of Super 7 flat-packs if possible.

TIA,
Jake

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #85 on: 1 Mar 2023, 08:13 pm »
Hi Mike,

I have asked in the past but you had said you weren't ready yet.  Maybe now?  I am still in need of a pair of Super 7 flat-packs if possible.

TIA,
Jake

Hi Jake,

Jay, captainhemo, cut those. I don't know if he has any left though since the drivers haven't been available for quite awhile. I have one of his flatpacks for a pair of Super 7 MTM's, just the top section. I was going to build those out and compare them with the NX-Otica MTM section but the drivers became unavailable before I got a chance to. I was using the wings and base pieces as patterns so have those pieces rough cut out in solid cherry. I can let you have that and you can build a pair of the double trouble subs if you don't mind your Super 7s being a two piece speaker instead of one.

JakeJ

« Reply #86 on: 1 Mar 2023, 10:56 pm »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick response.  Yes I am interested and with a bit of ingenuity I could make them somewhat similar to other monitors mounted on a bass bin.  I mean come on, JBL and Klipsch have been doing it for decades.

Let me know what you are asking for the MTM sections, please.  Could you provide me with the flat packs for the subs?  TIA.

I am envisioning isolating the top from the subs either with some material (Herbie's?) or try spikes with the subs having receiving dots for the spike points (ala Wilson Watt/Puppy).  Any ideas you have please feel free to suggest them.

I will send you an email so we can take the conversation off the forum.

Thanks again,
Jake

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #87 on: 2 Mar 2023, 02:56 am »
Hi Norman, would you mind sharing where you got that burl veneer from?

Norman Tracy

« Reply #88 on: 2 Mar 2023, 08:06 pm »
Hi Norman, would you mind sharing where you got that burl veneer from?

Michael sourced the veneer from one of his sources, I just secreted the photos out of his shop and posted theme here.  :)

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #89 on: 2 Mar 2023, 08:27 pm »
Thanks! I really like it. I want to use something like it on a speaker build happening now.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #90 on: 2 Mar 2023, 09:43 pm »
I got it from veneersupplies.com

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #91 on: 3 Mar 2023, 02:47 am »
Thank you!!!!  :thumb:

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #92 on: 12 Mar 2023, 09:20 am »
Michael mentioned the NX-Otica cabinets with burl veneer he has in process. Good time to share some photos I took recently of what he is dealing with and the level of skill brought to bear. The swirling of the grain in burl causes the veneer to be anything but flat. In these before/after photos the veneer as delivered looks like bubble wrap made out of wood! It has to be softened, coaxed flat and dried in a vacuum press, glued on then all the flaws inherent in burled woods dealt with. Compare the raw veneer vs the worked veneer glued to the NX-Otica wing.

I liked it bubbly :) :) :)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #93 on: 12 Mar 2023, 04:12 pm »
I liked it bubbly :) :) :)

It's interesting, right up to the point where you have to glue it to the cabinet. Getting burl to glue flat to the substrate without cracking is hard enough when the veneer has been softened and flattened first, well without cracking much. When it is dry and all bubbly it is impossible. It will break to pieces as pressure is applied.

Raw wood burls are the most difficult veneers I've worked with, followed by those with crotch figure.

mkane

« Reply #94 on: 29 Mar 2023, 03:42 pm »
 Mike, what are your thoughts on building a finished pair of NX series speakers and dual sub cabinets? We were making a move and our current speakers might need some help.

Shipping might be a son-of-a-gun. May need to come & pick these up.

Thanks

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #95 on: 31 Mar 2023, 12:11 am »
Mike, what are your thoughts on building a finished pair of NX series speakers and dual sub cabinets? We were making a move and our current speakers might need some help.

Shipping might be a son-of-a-gun. May need to come & pick these up.

Thanks

Sent you a PM

Spschmitt53

« Reply #96 on: 17 Dec 2023, 02:26 pm »
Hi Mike, I had posted that I was interested in someone who might have a flat pack of the older super mini’s but I just stumbled onto your post of the builds that you did, especially the Otica Stand mounts. Is there a flat pack for that or even just a front baffle, I can build the rest. And a crossover design? I have the NX Studios but I like the idea of  the mids being open baffle too! Thanks for any help, !!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #97 on: 17 Dec 2023, 04:26 pm »
Hi Mike, I had posted that I was interested in someone who might have a flat pack of the older super mini’s but I just stumbled onto your post of the builds that you did, especially the Otica Stand mounts. Is there a flat pack for that or even just a front baffle, I can build the rest. And a crossover design? I have the NX Studios but I like the idea of  the mids being open baffle too! Thanks for any help, !!

Hi Steve,

These aren't Otica stand mounts. It is more accurate to think of my speakers as Super 7s with different midrange drivers that just happen to be cut in half to make them easier to move up and down stairs. The MTM section cannot stand on it's own. It needs the subwoofers underneath.

At one time Jay made some flatpacks for the MTM section but they didn't sell so he no longer makes them. Maybe someday I'll learn haw to program my CNC to cut them but not in the near future.

Mike