A/V-3 - in which price bracket should they be competing!

Loftprojection

Last week I went to the audio show in Montreal.  I listened to a bunch of kits, some costing more than I can even dream of ever being able to pay for.  Sure, a lot of those systems were setup in a less than ideal environment but many manufactures had brought some room treatment apparatus.

So when I got back at home from the show, I sat down and listened to music, thinking, my ho my, doesn't my system sound good.  I have Danny's A/V-3 with one sw-12a/pr-12a sub.  This is hooked up to an Audio Aero MKII hybrid integrated, an MHDT Paradisea dac and a RWA modded Squeezebox2.  IC and speaker cables are all Danny's offerings.  My room has absolutely no treatment whatsoever, zippo, nothing.  So compared to most systems I saw at the show, my system and speakers should really sound, hum, so so at best!  Well not at all.  I'm not saying it sounds better then for example the Verity Audio Lohengrin that are worth more the $50k but I'm pretty sure my A/V-3 with sub would easily compete with most speakers I heard from $1000 to $3000 maybe even more.

So those of you who own the A/V-3 with or without the sub, if you compared them to commercial speakers, am I crazy or would you say those A/V-3 are pretty incredible! 

ooheadsoo

Re: A/V-3 - in which price bracket should they be competing!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2007, 02:14 am »
Btw, how big is your room?

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2007, 03:20 am »
Your room and acoustic treatments, or lack thereof, make a HUGE difference in system sound.  That's #1.  #2 is system synergy.  Beyond that, my A/V-3's (given to my daughter as a wedding present last July because she and her fiance asked for a pair of A/V-3's) sound as good as any $2,000 - $5,000 pair of hi-fi shop speakers I've ever heard.  My 1.5 cents.

Loftprojection

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2007, 11:30 am »
I never measured my room but it's about 13 by 15.  I've tried but there is no way I will ever be able to put room treatment unless we move or I become single again! 

So Hank, if you gave your A/V-3's to your daughter, what did you build or buy for yourself now? 

Blaine_M

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2007, 02:15 pm »
Have to agree with you Loft.  The only speakers I've listened to at local stores to compare to are some 700 series B&W's, and they weren't even close, and some high end Paradigm speakers, which were comparable, but not quite at the same level...the paradigm's were signature series or something like that, and it was the latest and greatest version of that speaker that was broke in.....I wouldn't trade my AV-3's for any of them.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2007, 05:42 pm »
Loft, I've designed a 2-way tower cabinet for Danny's new M165X woof and Al's custom A-C ribbon tweeter, Danny's crossover design.  I've been off and on it at my glacial speed for 4 months  :oops:  (had some real customer orders inbetween).  But, yesterday I started veneering the cabinets, so it won't be long now.  I've been taking some assembly photos so Al can post them on his web site.  I broke in the drivers/crossovers in a test cabinet and the adjective that instantly came to mind was "fast".  To me, that translates to "accurate".

RAW

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2007, 07:00 pm »
 :banana piano:

World Leader Pretend

• Rosenow Sound Authority
« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2007, 05:57 pm »
I am thinking about building a test pair, then building some as per demand as part of a business venture.  If you can build a pair for ~$500 finished and loaded, how much would you recommend selling them for (assuming the aesthetics and performance are good)?

Blaine_M

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2007, 03:14 pm »
I would say it would partially depend on the veneer/finish and build quality.  If you are a very good craftsman and they turn out looking awesome then anywhere near what $1400-1500. 

Christof

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2007, 04:12 am »
I am thinking about building a test pair, then building some as per demand as part of a business venture.  If you can build a pair for ~$500 finished and loaded, how much would you recommend selling them for (assuming the aesthetics and performance are good)?

WLP-
If you can buy the kit for $330, build a solid pair of floor standing cabs with nice finish and assemble them all for $500 then I have an opening for you in my shop :wink:

World Leader Pretend

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2007, 12:04 am »

WLP-
If you can buy the kit for $330, build a solid pair of floor standing cabs with nice finish and assemble them all for $500 then I have an opening for you in my shop :wink:

Well, I figure $350 for parts, $50 for the MDF, $10 for glue, $100 for paint and finish...  I already have the clamps, saws, sanders and filler.  Seems feasible to me, unless I am missing something important.  You realize that I've built all my A/V equipment using 2x4s, scrap plywood, leftover poly, and whatever else is laying around my garage. :D

Christof

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2007, 01:51 am »
WLP

The problem is that now you have discovered us audiofools here at AC and if you are not careful, in no time, you will be adding a zero onto that $500 speaker budget :lol:   You should be able to build the AV-3 kit for yourself for $500 and have a world class speaker :beer:

World Leader Pretend

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2007, 02:02 am »
Yeah, I'm kinda screwed. 

In another year or two I'll be wondering if I can fit a LS-9 into my attic  :thumb:

On the AV-3, cool, I'm glad to hear that.  A quick question though:  how important is a fancy dampening material like no-rez or blackhole5?  It is pretty expensive and seems to border on the snake-oil side of things...  :scratch:

Is the stuff legit?

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2007, 02:26 am »
No Rez came about from testing done by several companies involving resonance control on MDF. It works wonders. The results are easily heard and felt. It is highly recommended.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2007, 03:57 am »
A quick question though:  how important is a fancy dampening material like no-rez or blackhole5?  It is pretty expensive and seems to border on the snake-oil side of things... 

Is the stuff legit?

Damping is far from snake oil.

Yes, the No Rez is legit. Anything you do to prevent the enclosure from actually resonating and radiating sound waves itself, is a good thing. It's not supposed to be a soundbox, just an enclosure to provide the volume of air needed to the design, whether sealed, or ported. I experimented while building the enclosures for the OB 5's. You can read about my findings in regards to the No Rez here
Now, I wouldn't even consider not lining a speaker enclosure with it.

OB 5 enclosures lined with NoRez:

The other important factors are cabinet bracing, rigidity, and mass. The more the better. A number of years ago, I visited a showroom where they had 2 speakers of the same model 2 way speaker. One was in a bookshelf version on metal stands (sand and lead shot filled), the other model was the same speaker in a floorstanding version, but with the lower empty portion sand and lead shot filled ( it weighed 90 lbs total ). Both versions were the same overall height.
 I thought I was listening to two entirely different speakers. I thought there might be a difference in drivers, or crossovers. There was not. The 90lb floorstanding version clearly sounded better. Better imaging, better bass, better everything. Was it night and day? I wouldn't say so, but it was not subtle at all, however. The improvement was very noticeable.

This led me to an experiment with the small Tannoy nearfield monitors that I have in my recording studio. I built a massive pair of cabinets for them. I maintained the same internal volume, internal dimensions, driver spacing etc. The cabinet was way overbuilt. 1 1/2" thick sides, front and back, and 2 1/4" tops and bottoms. All in MDF.
The original Tannoy enclosures were a combination of MDF, and particle board. The original Tannoys weighed 9 lbs, fully loaded, the modified Tannoys, 32lbs, fully loaded.

I then A/B'ed them in my studio. I set them up side by side on stands and hooked them up, one to each amp output. Because I was feeding them from my mixer, I was able to feed them both the same signal. I fed them a summed stereo signal from my CDP,( both right and left signals, summed in mono) from different channels on the mixer, and panned the channels right and left. This way, I could mute one speaker, while the other played, then do the opposite, and flip back and forth between the two speakers.

Again, the differences were not subtle at all. Same results though, better imaging, better bass (by a long shot), and a much smoother transition between the woofer and tweeter. The modified version also sounds quite a bit clearer. Here is what the two look like. The modded one on the left, the original on the right.

You don't need to opt for the No Rez. There are a number of things you could do other than No Rez. You could do a constrained layer of MDF/Sand/MDF, or concrete. You could make the cabinets out of marble, or even concrete themselves. There are other substitute to these more drastic methods. The No Rez is a simple one. Just cut to size, peel and stick. No muss, no fuss.  :green:

Bracing is the other simple, and very important method of improving the enclosure.

Cheers

World Leader Pretend

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2007, 05:59 am »
Ah, you sold me  :thumb:

Thanks for clearing up everything for me.  Sometimes you can never really tell with products online.  Dayglow, do you use additional R-9 style (loose) insulation in addition to the no-rez?  Your cabs look awesome, maybe it is the 2" thick walls that do it. ;)  Really high quality. 

I've been modeling up some plans, just need to finish up the school year and get started! 

WLP 

Christof

« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2007, 01:46 pm »
Dayglow, et al....

A little OT but still applicable.....I'm curious to know how a cld constructed cabinet with a lossy layer of something like "ice & water shield" or some sort of tar sheet might compare with a normal cabinet using a product like NoRez or BH5.  If you had to choose one over the other, ruling out labor and $ as a deciding factor, which way would you go and why?

To bring this back on topic, I think it is due to these types of discussions that we can, with a bit of elbow grease, realize much better sound from a (AV-3) kit than we can from a commercial speaker with a much higher price tag.  I personally find it very difficult to answer a question like
  It's apples to oranges.  As Dayglow mentioned, there is alot that can be done to customize a speaker cabinet when you DIY....     

RAW

« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2007, 04:45 pm »
Chris

Having been one that had some influence on the Danny doing a new product (No REZ) I can share a few things on this.

Below is just a small pile of the materials I tested for 2 issues with cabinets.

Acoustic absorption for internal absorption.
Plus a damping factor to line the cabinets.

The pile show the BH5 and the BH4 ( no top layer)

First off the top layer on the foam is acoustic absorbant and should not be used.

One issue with all the products it the top layer that was marketed for years is a loss of absorption do not use any material with a layer on the foam.If you have a product with this remove it if you can by peeling it off .Tricky but it can done.Or if it is one one side of the foam place this to the cabinet wall leaving the open foam to the drivers.

Now the damping or vibration damping as some call it.

Really to do any justice the material has to be absorbent and store the energy from the resonant walls (lack of bracing is the biggest fault)
This is a trail and error in the process of getting products made with different barriers, as well as different thickness of the barrier.

What we found was the 3/16" of barrier with 1" of foam works the best for internal absorption for waves and the 3/16" did a very good job of vibration control for the walls.
The only issue was the weight of this product.
We sent samples to Danny of this which was used in the AV1RS shown on the GR site.
A 2X4 sheet weight was over 15lbs  :duh:
So the product that works great for lining a cabinet which is very week in bracing in the first place ,weights a lot to ship and cost was a factor just to get the product in stock as well to the consumers.

Next was to just use a foam with a thinner barrier which Danny has done :thumb:

Now as for tiles ect to use in replacement of the No REZ.

Using floor tiles with a PSA backing similar to the No REZ can be done as well.

When using the tiles the trick is to use a tile with a strong PSA glue.
To check this peel back a corner of the paper and push your finger into the tile and pull it back to see which is the most sticky.

I will say not all the time are the more expensive tiles made with a strong PSA.The tile made be made with a higher quality of product but they will use a cheaper PSA and will not stick.The trick once you have your .40cent tiles (for vibration damping) is to make sure the cabinet walls are clean of dust.I blow them off then wipe them with a damp cloth to make sure the dust is off completely.

The best thing with the PSA tiles is the tiles are THICK.
Now cut the tiles line the walls and make sure they bond.

Now for acoustic absorption we use a 1" foam with a layer we have made but really any 1" foam will do a good job.

Nothing beats a thick cabinet and well braced cabinet.If you brace every 6" yes we do or close to that you can use a 1" foam and have great results.

Below is the last product we tested with a piece of BH5.Notice how thick the barrier is on the mic.(you can not read the mic but this shows the thickness difference)

Before

After

380lb sub cabinets tuned to 14hz :green:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2007, 04:58 pm »
Christof,

I haven't done any comparitive testing. To find out for sure, you would at bare minimun need to make similarly sized test pieces of MDF, apply the various materials to the test pieces, then using some sort of contact driver attached to the MDF, feed it a signal at it's resonant frequency, and probably with an accelerometer find out how well the different materials attenuate the excitation of the MDF. I think that a proper test would be something along the lines of that.
I have a friend in the acoustics business. I've done some project management for him, and have some exposure to the techniques and materials they use to overcome sound transmission problems. One product that I came across and have used in industrial and residential applications is Symar. It works really well as a sound transmission barrier and resonace damper. Better than you would think. Here is some info on it here.

Another trick I've tried is 12" X12" Armstrong industrial floor tile. The stuff you can get at the Home Depot in the peel and stick variety. There is a slightly thicker version ( about 2.5 mm)that is not peel and stick. I used this in my prototype AV/3's. I used contact cement to stick it on. I cut them to size with an old blade on my table saw. These tiles are very cheap, and add a lot of mass.

If you had to choose one over the other, ruling out labor and $ as a deciding factor, which way would you go and why?

Again, this was a while back, so I can't tell you with any certaintly if the materials you mention, or if the floor tile trick would attenuate more than the damping layer on the NoRez. However, if you really wanted to raise the performance a bit more, you could do the tile trick first, then add the NoRez. The NoRez has the foam already attached that you need in order to control standing waves inside the enclosure. That would be your biggest "bang for the buck" and kills two birds with one stone. The tile thing is not as easy to work with or apply, but it does add a considerable amount of mass.
Dayglow, do you use additional R-9 style (loose) insulation in addition to the no-rez?
Yes, but we typically use polyfill instead of fiberglass. This is not a method of resonance control, but a tuning method for the waves reflecting inside the cabinet. I'm not an expert in this regard, so I'll refrain from trying to explain any further.

Hmmmm.....Actually, now I'm inspired to do some experimenting with damping. I wish I had the time to do it now, but unfortunately I don't. I have some of the floor tile, I have some of the Symar, and I have some of the NoRez. I might have access to an accelerometer, I have a sinewave generator, but am missing a contact driver. I'll post my findings when I eventually give this a try.

Actually, I've been thinking as I've been typing this, that when I build my OB 7's, that I'll do just as I'm suggesting to you. I'll first apply the floor tile, then do the NoRez on top of the tile to the insides. Bonus.  :green:

All these little things that we discuss, bracing, damping, capacitor upgrades, bypass caps, wiring etc....are all incremental methods of optimizing performance. Of course you need a good foundation in the speaker design itself (drivers, crossover design). But, as I've learned over the last few years, you really do yield substantial performance gains from proper implementation. The enclosure is a big deal. I have to admit, that I was surprised to find out, to what degree the enclosure can affect the performance of a speaker.

I would be amiss, if I didn't mention another simple way of vastly improving the sound of whatever speakers you may be listening to. Room treatment!!!  

At bare minimum, absortive panels at first reflection points. Then absorption in corners. Bass trapping in corners is a big deal. Diffusion is something that has worked well for me as well. A lot of this stuff you can DIY, and achieve good results. If you overlook this, you are severly limiting what true potential your speaker (and system) has.

I'll stress this. You can thank me later.  :wink:

You feel like you've upgraded to a better speaker by these simple room modifications. The more care you take, the better the gains. What can you expect? Better imaging, clarity, less fatiguing. Bass trapping really tightens up bass. Without the bass ringing in the room, you get better imaging and clarity from the mids and highs.

To bring this back on topic, I think it is due to these types of discussions that we can, with a bit of elbow grease, realize much better sound from a (AV-3) kit than we can from a commercial speaker with a much higher price tag.

I totally agree.

Cheers  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 12 May 2007, 05:10 pm by Daygloworange »

Christof

« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2007, 09:53 pm »
AL & Dayglow

Thanks for the info.  I'm not too sure about the floor tiles :scratch: but it's worth a try I guess.  My understanding is that the acoustical energy needs to be converted to heat via friction in order to reduce the energy.  Floor tiles are probably effective but the effected bandwidth is probably pretty narrow.  The added mass would lower the res Hz of the cab....this is just a guess.  Physics tells us that it is important to have a lossy layer, such as a viscous material like tar, to convert the energy to heat but where is the idea location?  Perhapse it be best to use a lossy layer in multiple locations such as:  mdf->lossy layer->mdf->foam->lossy layer->foam?  Thinking over this a bit I am posed with another problem, how the heck would I cut the mdf/tar/mdf without botching up my table saw :wink: