Digital Amp Comparison 2007

shep

Re: Digital Amp Comparison 2007
« Reply #200 on: 15 Apr 2007, 11:51 am »
We want to do a comparison review of the stock Trends vs. the MM mod.

Think he'd go for it? Anyone know him?

Wow..not much discussion about the shootout. hmmm...

Guys, I'm off to Montreal for the big audio show up there. I'll be back Monday.

http://www.fsiexpo.com/frames_v_EN.html      if you want to check it out.

You can also send me a "Be sure to check this out...." via the website if there's something that interests you.

I'll take a look and listen if i can.

Be good while I'm gone...hehe.
I missed this. Yes I know him! I'm the instigator behind the Trends trend aa "Shep1" That was more fun than having my name on Hollywood blvd.! There's a Shep2 in the works...I'm sure Michael would be pleased as punch to participate in any way. He has no ax to grind and although he's too modest to say so, I think he's pretty pleased the way the whole Trends thing has taken off.

AK

• twisterspeakers
« Reply #201 on: 26 Apr 2007, 04:54 pm »
I think for true blind testing listeners should not be aware at all what is being changed in the system. Results probably would be a total mess :)
Try without switching components for one round...
I think some people would prefer one sound to another :)

AphileEarlyAdopter

« Reply #202 on: 26 Apr 2007, 10:29 pm »
I will give you a clue - the Panasonic receiver did not win...javascript:void(0);

James Darby
Publisher _ Stereomojo

Sorry to be negative here, but I will bet you ANYTHING that there isnt a SINGLE person who has bought the panasonic use the analog inputs for critical listening.  100% of the audiophile customers have and will ONLY use the digital inputs- simply put, there is no other reason to purchase the panasonic.  Thus, I think it should have been tested that way.  Just because none of the other amps allow digital input doesnt shouldnt have been the limiting factor.  Either way, look forward to the review!!

This is very true.  The whole selling point of Panny is that it's basically a DAC with enough output to power speakers. 

I'd be interested in a small followup comparing Panny/digital input vs. the winners :)

Right, the Panny will sound as good as the transport. Maybe, it should also biamp the speakers.
I have a Bolder-modded SB3's digital input into the Panny biamping my Silverline Sonatinas. The Panny also has a Black Sand cables' violet power cord on it, plugged into a balanced power conditioner (from Blue Circle) which is plugged into a Furman Power Factor Pro.

Since it sounds already reasonably good (compared to some high-end stuff :-)) I am hesitant to try the T-Amps, as I have to get a DAC and power cord, interconnects for it.

L'wood

« Reply #203 on: 6 May 2007, 06:21 pm »
Great shootout StereoMojo!!!!  Obviously a labor of love...I've done them with tuners, but the wife quit being the moderator so...

I've had the 10.1 for about 4 months now and it is quite a performer when used as a power amp as opposed to an integrated, just ordered another one to have a little more power for my speakers.  I'm using a Melos Sha-Gold for the preamp, and it's a great combo.

Keep up the good work, great copy too.

L'wood