Digital Amp Comparison 2007

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
Re: Digital Amp Comparison 2007
« Reply #180 on: 2 Apr 2007, 09:09 pm »
OK EVERYBODY. I am a man of my word. It is 5 o'clock here and ALL the results are posted!
Before you go, there is a bit of a twist! We have a winner for the Integrateds AND the Power Amps. What we do NOT have is an overall winner! Now, as publisher, I have the priviledge of chosing the Grand Winner, Overall Champ, King of the Hill, the Schitz!

BUT...

I am going to ask YOU to help make the FINAL DECISION!
[/u][/b]

PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT a Vote! I will have an open mind and like a judge and jury, I will listen carefully to your opinions and arguments. THEN I will decide and declare am OVERALL WINNER.

How fair is THAT?!

Reminder, please play nice. Don't be mean and ugly. Have FUN for heaven's sake!

Go find the results here:

http://www.stereomojo.com/

Thanks again to Danny, Art, the other panelists, the participating companies and all of YOU for your support and encouragement. And, if you have not yet been to Danny's GR Research site, go there first! http://www.gr-research.com/

James Darby
Pulbisher - Stereomojo.com

brj

« Reply #181 on: 2 Apr 2007, 09:30 pm »
Thanks for all of the work that you, Art and Danny put into this, as well as to the participating manufacturers and panelists.

A couple of initial thoughts without having read the article yet:

1) I'd suggest starting a separate thread to discuss the results of each shootout - on for integrated amps and one for power amps.

2) While I respect the desire to involve the AC community, I'm not sure what point a vote serves when taken among those that weren't there to hear the amps in Art's setup?

(Personally, I find that attempting to declare an absolute winner in any category of this subjective hobby is rather difficult, considering that everyone has their own preferences.  Even if a large group of people like a given product, it may still not be right for you in your room and your system.)

jkelly

« Reply #182 on: 2 Apr 2007, 09:32 pm »
Amazing!

Very well done and very exciting to read!

Jeff

Danny Richie

« Reply #183 on: 2 Apr 2007, 09:39 pm »
Okay guys, this thread is already 19 pages long. Let's move the discussion of the results here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=39093.new#new

So go to the new thread for discussion.

Jon L

« Reply #184 on: 2 Apr 2007, 10:11 pm »
I will give you a clue - the Panasonic receiver did not win...javascript:void(0);

James Darby
Publisher _ Stereomojo

Sorry to be negative here, but I will bet you ANYTHING that there isnt a SINGLE person who has bought the panasonic use the analog inputs for critical listening.  100% of the audiophile customers have and will ONLY use the digital inputs- simply put, there is no other reason to purchase the panasonic.  Thus, I think it should have been tested that way.  Just because none of the other amps allow digital input doesnt shouldnt have been the limiting factor.  Either way, look forward to the review!!

This is very true.  The whole selling point of Panny is that it's basically a DAC with enough output to power speakers. 

I'd be interested in a small followup comparing Panny/digital input vs. the winners :)

arthurs

« Reply #185 on: 2 Apr 2007, 10:14 pm »
I'll work on some follow up on the Panny Jon, but it may take a bit so be patient....

gevorg

« Reply #186 on: 3 Apr 2007, 11:44 pm »
I will give you a clue - the Panasonic receiver did not win...javascript:void(0);

James Darby
Publisher _ Stereomojo

Sorry to be negative here, but I will bet you ANYTHING that there isnt a SINGLE person who has bought the panasonic use the analog inputs for critical listening.  100% of the audiophile customers have and will ONLY use the digital inputs- simply put, there is no other reason to purchase the panasonic.  Thus, I think it should have been tested that way.  Just because none of the other amps allow digital input doesnt shouldnt have been the limiting factor.  Either way, look forward to the review!!

This is very true.  The whole selling point of Panny is that it's basically a DAC with enough output to power speakers. 

I'd be interested in a small followup comparing Panny/digital input vs. the winners :)

I agree! I'm using Panny in my system, and the digital input is MUCH more clearer than the analog, the analog input sounds like almost any other receiver at B&M stores. No wonder it took the last place in the shootout.

I will too be interested in a followup of Panny vs. winners.

Thank you for such an awesome shootout!

Catbo

« Reply #187 on: 5 Apr 2007, 04:37 am »
I keep hearing that the digital input is better than the analog input on the Panasonic but I've tried both and they are pretty much sound alike, I've really studied both and hear pretty much the same, but doing digital vs. analog still isn't going to change and make the Panasonic produce a larger sound.  I have the Panasonic SA-XR70 and the Onkyo A-9555 and by far the Onkyo is better.  It produces a much larger sound-field, sound-stage, and resolution that the Panasonic lacks.  To understand what I'm talking about, you would have to hear it.  The Onkyo produces the large sound-field and such as my larger expensive analog amp.  The Panasonic just doesn't produce what I'm talking about.  The Panasonic is good for what it is but it just doesn't match up to what better amps can do, though it does detail well, it's more to it than just that.

larryrx7

« Reply #188 on: 6 Apr 2007, 09:05 pm »
I just acquired the Trend amp in the Michael Mardis modded version and I must say I am impressed so far. I have it running as power amp with a TAD 150 preamp and playing into a pair of Soliloquy sm 2a3 minimonitors. I think maybe the amp and speakers just happen to be synergistic because I can get very reasonable volume with no trouble at all. I will be anxious to see what improvement I will get with proper run-in. Has anybody else had any experience with this modded version.....thanks

shep

« Reply #189 on: 6 Apr 2007, 09:33 pm »
You are going to be a happy camper (give it about 50hrs) Mine was the first :oops:! It differs slightly from your version in the choice of caps (see his site description) but otherwise probably sounds much the same.
Unfortunately I've sold it because it just doesn't like my inefficient TL's (clips easily) :cry: Maybe the best deal in audio for the price. Stictly one source in and one out but who cares! I'm really pleased for M. that this has taken off so well. At first he was jubious but with the right nudge (read insistance) he did a great job. I use mine with the Panny pot. It's probably even better just used as an amp.

larryrx7

« Reply #190 on: 6 Apr 2007, 10:14 pm »
HI Shep...Maybe it's just my imagination, but I think this little guy sounds more musical than the Nuforce 9 and the PS Audio Trio 100; both of which I have audtioned. Go figure

DZetye

« Reply #191 on: 6 Apr 2007, 10:36 pm »
Does Michael Mardis have a website or contact E-mail address?  Thanks.

larryrx7

shep

« Reply #193 on: 7 Apr 2007, 06:45 am »
Small is beautiful aa you figure! Fewest parts, shortest signal lengths? makes sense...

larryrx7

« Reply #194 on: 7 Apr 2007, 01:17 pm »
I understand they are developing some companion pieces to this amp..one being a recharchable battery pack and I think a dac  8)...not sure about that last one though

larryrx7

« Reply #195 on: 10 Apr 2007, 12:25 am »
I been listening to the Mardis modded unit for 3 or 4 days now and it keeps opening up more and more

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
« Reply #196 on: 10 Apr 2007, 09:27 pm »
We want to do a comparison review of the stock Trends vs. the MM mod.

Think he'd go for it? Anyone know him?

Wow..not much discussion about the shootout. hmmm...

Guys, I'm off to Montreal for the big audio show up there. I'll be back Monday.

http://www.fsiexpo.com/frames_v_EN.html      if you want to check it out.

You can also send me a "Be sure to check this out...." via the website if there's something that interests you.

I'll take a look and listen if i can.

Be good while I'm gone...hehe.

ttan98

« Reply #197 on: 11 Apr 2007, 12:02 am »
JDarby's quote:

"Guys, I'm off to Montreal for the big audio show up there. I'll be back Monday."

What a good/lovely lifestyle ha ha.... I don't mind joining you.....

EdT

« Reply #198 on: 15 Apr 2007, 01:40 am »
I have just spent 2 days at FSI and there was nothing more that interested me than Vinnie's Signature 30 and Louis Omega Max playing together.  A T-Amp super combo !

I have had my trusty little TA-10 for 5 months now and not only is it very musical, but it revived my interest in hifi after being dormant for 20 years.  Yes,  this little minimalist amp does wonders and is easy on the wallet.  The newer version TA-10.1 has most of the tweaks that M. Mardis was doing on the earlier versions, so I don't see the reason to have those tweaks done.

Powering the TA-10 with a battery pack like those for boosting your car will increase the soundstage and seperation even more and is proberly the best mod for under $30 !  just becareful to check the polarity before you plug it in your amp or the chip will fry.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2007, 04:34 pm by EdT »

Brucemck

« Reply #199 on: 15 Apr 2007, 11:06 am »

Danny, would this amp have enough "oomph" to drive your RS1s for surround sound duties?