OB 5 or 7 Reviews

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
Re: OB 5 or 7 Reviews
« Reply #80 on: 7 Dec 2006, 09:36 pm »
Adam, if you want to wait a while I will let you know the difference between the Paradox 3s and the OB-5s.  I currently own and love the sound from my P3s and waiting to hear news of a build on OB-5s.   :drool: Hopefully, I will have a pair of OB-5s in a couple of months and should be in the perfect spot to tell you the difference between the two.  And, no...  :nono:...I will not be selling my P3s even if the OB-5s are better.  :D 

L

mnapuran

« Reply #81 on: 8 Dec 2006, 04:10 am »
So are there recommended room sizes and seating distances for the OB5's?  :wink:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #82 on: 21 Dec 2006, 05:05 am »

Hey Mike:

Here are OB 5's in the heat of the battle.

Driven by I-Tunes on a Mac PowerBook. Notice the nice e.q. in I-Tunes. Just in case.

Music is fire-wired to the great sounding Metric Halo 2882 recording interface.

All those tunes at the fingertips.

Speakers are about 3' off the back wall. Don't the OB 5's look nice strutting their stuff?

And about 9.5' apart.

The speakers are sitting about 8' from my chest. The sound stage basically starts at the room opening, and about 3' on each side of it, with the most upfront instruments at the speaker rears. The dining room is filled with music extending to the far back wall and beyond. Soundstage is huge. The way it should be, or why play the game.

Speakers look close but the music is not. There's the awesome McAlister SE 44 Set amp on the rack top.

I am able to get about 85 to 90% of the soundstage I had in my previous home http://www.scripturesongs.com/audio.htm  but the sound is clearly a fair step ahead.

Rocket_Ronny

« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2006, 06:43 am by Rocket_Ronny »

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #83 on: 24 Dec 2006, 06:26 pm »
I'm in the process of building the OB-5 too.

Hey Cacophonix,

How you making out on your build? Any reviews to add yet?

Cheers

Cacophonix

« Reply #84 on: 24 Dec 2006, 09:24 pm »
Hey Cacophonix,

How you making out on your build? Any reviews to add yet?

Cheers

Sorry guys ... i've not made much progress yet.  :duh: :duh:
With my wife moving in ... its becoming harder to take time off and make saw dust  :cry:
Hopefully i'll get around to doing this some time soon.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #85 on: 8 Jan 2007, 03:50 pm »

First off, I am a non-DIYer, and admire all you that have the skills and tools to be able to build your own speakers and electronics.    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

This weekend my wife and I had the opportunity to visit with Daygloworange (Denny) to audition the OB-5’s he built at his workshop.  The workshop is approximately 50’ x 50’ with 16’ ceilings, an enclosed office area housed within this space, plus assorted shelves, wood, table saws, etc.  IOW, not ideal conditions but not a barren echo chamber either.  Dayglow showed us some of his works, which were absolutely beautiful.  Dayglow is the real deal, a master journeyperson cabinetmaker with a strong interest in audio reproduction.  That is exactly the type of person you want building your speakers if you are all thumbs like me.

Dayglow’s OB-5’s were finished in a black satin stain with slightly curved sides on the bottom cabinet and a curved front baffle.  They looked very stylish and smacked of custom designer quality.  Even though they are tall and deep speakers, the relatively small width and lack of a top, back and sides for the OB MTM area made them WAF friendly.   :thumb:

As passionate as Danny Richie is in designing great sounding speakers, Dayglow is just as passionate about the cabinets he makes to encapsulate the design.

Okay, so you want to know my thoughts on how they sounded?  There has been a lot written about the sound of the OB design by Danny, Dayglow and others and I won’t repeat it all here but simply state I totally agree with their assessments.   Due of the listening environment of the workshop, we placed the speakers about 7’ apart and sat in a near field configuration ranging from 8’ to 11’.  (I listen to mostly jazz but did have some pop and progressive rock to see how they would sound.) When they were fired up the first thing we noticed was the very wide and deep 3-D sound stage.   (I currently own a pair of Paradox-3s w/ Focal tweeter)  This was the first time I had ever listened to a Neo 3 tweeter and I was impressed how airy and smooth they sounded in the upper frequencies.  The space between instruments became very apparent due to how much blackness developed between them.   I stood up, slouched down and moved side-to-side in my chair to see how big the sweet spot was, and it is very large.  These speakers will disappear as a focal sound point in the listening experience.  My wife used the word transparent to describe them. 

We listened to vocal tracks by Seal, Porcupine Tree, Michael Buble, Lara Fabian, Diana Krall, and Patricia Barber.  These vocal tracks were reproduced flawlessly.  Patricia Barber’s cds have a tendency to bring out the best and worst in a system and in this case it was all positive.  We turned up the volume and they did get very loud.  The only limiting factor in how these speakers ultimately will sound in your listening environment is the amp, preamp, source unit, and room treatment.

It appears Danny’s biggest competitor currently is himself and his design imagination (LS 6 & 9, O-3, etc.)  He is providing many options to consumers through GR Research and his work with other companies 

Danny Richie has developed another fantastic design that Dayglow implemented beautifully.  So if there are any other non-DIYers out there looking for a reasonably priced speaker that will outclass some of the major players, please give Dayglow’s offering serious consideration.  And for you DIYers, I am in awe with how you do what you do. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Laserman

bushbison

« Reply #86 on: 8 Jan 2007, 05:13 pm »
Just a few questions for Ronny et al; for one thing those speakers look GREAT. 

I am a big ribbon fan and have owned Newform Research, BG's, Aurum Cantus (still one of THE best bangs for your buck I DO say) and now VMPS.  Now Ron, I think you've owned N. Research before, yes??  Can you compare them to your new speaks?

I am still not hitting the mark with my VMPS RM-30's; I miss some of my old Newforms absolute transparities, but not their VERY narrow sweet spot, and fairly poor versatility that is eliminated by the VMPS's.  However, even though the VMPS's are much more forgiving of all material and thus a bit versatile, I do still detect some harshness in the upper mids and "air" that the Newforms did not have.  I do not care spending all my time tweaking and would like to just listen to music rather than play with EQUIPMENT all day!!  I do have a failry good ear that is refined from quite a few years in the music business in creation (song writing, performing) and production (recording, mastering).

I also am a fan of high res music and surround applications (movies are secondary to music); I know that is not "sexy" with you LP people :), but just my passion and opinion!

Comments?

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #87 on: 8 Jan 2007, 10:00 pm »
Hey Bush:

Hard to compare to the NewForms totally since I sold those a few years ago.

I thought they had a very large sweet spot.

Where the OB's better them is:

More dynamic.
Ribbon, woofer, integration much, much, better.
More lively I believe.
Tighter, faster bass, although does not play as low.
More transparent overall.
WAF.
Open baffle mids are real nice.

I don't know what your set up is, but I have to say I do like the looks of the VMPS 30 a lot, and would be the speaker I would choose from VMPS, even though it may have an uneven frequency response, as I have heard. 

Myself, I plan on getting a Behringer Ultra E.Q. 24/96, and using it digitally. That is, I would ship audio from the Laptop through the Metric Halo interface into the Behringer digitally, then use it's RTA section and microphone to set up a flat frequency response, then back into the Metric Halo digitally, and out it's DA.

Or one could simply get a modded Behringer and use it's analog outs. The unit would cost around a grand modded.

But think of this. Once you are able to tweek e.q. issues, you can really stop the merry-go-round.

I might still have my first good speakers  :roll:rs , the Angstrom T2's, if I could have fixed the brightness I had in my room. I traded them for a marble base Kenwood turntable to Wind Chaser. Ah, the horse trading started back in 1979.

To adjust e.q. is a BIG DEAL !!!! And digital e.q. can sound very good.

So my advice to to forget the speakers, you got some nice one's there, and go for the e.q.

But then of course, you could always go for the LS 6 or 9's. That would be a sure step up.

Rocket_Ronny
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2007, 11:10 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

bushbison

« Reply #88 on: 9 Jan 2007, 02:09 pm »
Thanks Ron; you're a good man; I'm curious about your comment "uneven freq. response"; what have you heard, and can you explain that?? Because it is something I feel I have been experiencing with these and I though maybe I was losing it!!  I feel that they are quite inconsistant.

I guess my frustration is that I seem to spend a fair bit of time perfecting what I WANT to hear, and with my old N.F.'s, I didn't ..... mind you, I wasn't as "into" the whole audiophile perfection thingy as much then......

One thing I've been curious about; my system is very basic, especially around these boards, and may be seen as very low end by some, but sonically I think it can stack up to most, if given a "blind taste test" :)
I am running a Denon 3910 dvd player DIGITALLY to my 3860 receiver (ONLY ONE CORD for multi-channel sound -sacd, dvd-audio-, and NO, it doesn't sound worse than the analogue cords, and has quite a lower noise floor ... my digital bias!! :} ), pre-out to a high powered Rotel power amp bia-amping my RM30's ... and for now using the receiver to power my vmps 626 surrounds ...
How and where can I insert a dig. eq. such as Behringer, without breaking the digital chain??  b/t the outs of the rec. and the power amp??  Would I not then need two Behringers??  again, a lot of $ and tinkering to just get stuff to sound "real"!!??

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #89 on: 9 Jan 2007, 03:56 pm »

Hey Bush:

What cable are you using in between your DVD player and amp. I bet it is a optical cable of some sort. Depending on your cable will determine whether you can insert the Behringer digitally.

Does your amp offer any digital e.q. in it? That might be a way to solve some issues easily.

Regarding the uneven frequency response. As I understand it, the acoustical centers of the drivers is too far apart to not have frequency hills and dips. All this changes the distance from the speakers and listening height. I think they are a great looking speaker though, and should sound very nice indeed. I would not get hung up about the frequency response thing. I have lived with speakers that would change ratically depending on positioning. Just got to learn how to live with it.

I would play with speaker positioning until I came up with the sound I like. Then mark out the spot with tape or something if you have to move the speakers when not listening.

Yes, the NewForms were pretty much point and shoot speakers for me.

Rocket_Ronny

mnapuran

« Reply #90 on: 10 Jan 2007, 05:53 am »
How directional would you say the OB5's are?  The LS6's are VERY directional, and I'm looking for something that can do double duty in an HT setup as well.  If they are closer in their directional aspect to the AV3's, then I'll recommend OB5's :)

Ettepet

« Reply #91 on: 10 Jan 2007, 10:10 am »
The LS6's are VERY directional, and I'm looking for something that can do double duty in an HT setup as well.

Where did you learn this?  I'm planning to use the LS6 for HT duties (and music).  All indications sofar are that they work well over a wide horizontal range.

mnapuran

« Reply #92 on: 10 Jan 2007, 03:56 pm »
The LS6's are VERY directional, and I'm looking for something that can do double duty in an HT setup as well.

Where did you learn this?  I'm planning to use the LS6 for HT duties (and music).  All indications sofar are that they work well over a wide horizontal range.

I heard them in person..... No way the LS6's would work for me, especially in my room.

Danny Richie

« Reply #93 on: 10 Jan 2007, 04:59 pm »
I have heard them as well and certainly wouldn't describe them as directional.

The OB-5's are going to be a lot like the A/V-3 but more transparent and they have a cleaner midrange and better resolution and detail levels.

Ettepet

« Reply #94 on: 10 Jan 2007, 11:37 pm »
I heard them in person..... No way the LS6's would work for me, especially in my room.

What was your main issue?  Did the sound change when you moved your head sideways?

mnapuran

« Reply #95 on: 11 Jan 2007, 04:12 am »

What was your main issue?  Did the sound change when you moved your head sideways?

I don't want to discount the LS6's... they sound amazing, especially for the money.  I just found them VERY subjective to your listening position.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #96 on: 11 Jan 2007, 04:19 am »
I don't want to discount the LS6's... they sound amazing, especially for the money.  I just found them VERY subjective to your listening position.

What speakers aren't?

George

Danny Richie

« Reply #97 on: 11 Jan 2007, 01:38 pm »
You can push them back against the front wall and spread them to the corners of the room and they will sound virtually the same anywhere in the room. Or you can pull them well out into the room to create a deep enveloping sound stage that is focused more towards a center.

mnapuran

« Reply #98 on: 12 Jan 2007, 02:14 am »

The OB-5's are going to be a lot like the A/V-3 but more transparent and they have a cleaner midrange and better resolution and detail levels.

So is there a matching center channel design yet?  :wink:

Danny Richie

« Reply #99 on: 12 Jan 2007, 02:34 am »
So is there a matching center channel design yet?

Sure