Magnepan - X Upgrades

AK-Grwn_v2

Magnepan - X Upgrades
« on: 19 Dec 2023, 02:11 pm »
I am seeing some noise on the X series of magnepans. The 1.7x, 3.7x, etc.

I wonder where that idea comes from!

Chops

Re: Magnepan - X Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2023, 12:07 pm »

Exactly.

Probably no different of upgrades than Danny's, and at extremely outrageous prices.

For my 1.7i's for example...

Magnepan upgrade price: $4000.00 - And they continue to use the same stock crappy ferrous terminal connectors.

GR-Research upgrade price: $409.00 - Literally one tenth of the price!

Gee... I wonder which one I'll be going with. 

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2023, 08:05 pm »
I think Magnepan should show pictures of what the upgrades are with pricing for each piece, and a detailed explanation justifying the reason for these prices.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2023, 10:41 pm »
Holy cow... I just saw that stuff.  I think I saw $18k for 3.7i???  I owned a pair of 3.7i and sold them earlier this year. 

Magnepan speakers do some good things... among those things are:

• They let you experience the magic of an open baffle speaker.
  • They make you miss / appreciate a dynamic driver speaker.
  • They teach you that what you may want is a dynamic, open baffle speaker.

It's a process...

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2023, 10:56 pm »
I think Magnepan should show pictures of what the upgrades are with pricing for each piece, and a detailed explanation justifying the reason for these prices.

I disagree.  "Value" is more that just the cost of tangible goods.  I think they, and everyone else, should charge whatever the market will bear, for whatever they want to sell.  The buyer and seller (market) will figure it out.  Buy, or not.  Sell, or not.  Look at what is happening with EVs right now.  Over half of Buick and Ford dealers just told their respective automakers to go pound sand on EVs - and the automakers tucked their tails and said "OK" - because none of them are making money on EVs. It's the market...

I have observed that those who complain about what someone else charges for something, curiously, don't seem to apply the same standard of "justification" when it comes time to sell their own property.  Go figure.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2023, 04:34 am »
Well then I guess I am done with any future purchases of Magnepan then.

AK-Grwn_v2

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2023, 09:15 am »
Exactly.

Probably no different of upgrades than Danny's, and at extremely outrageous prices.

For my 1.7i's for example...

Magnepan upgrade price: $4000.00 - And they continue to use the same stock crappy ferrous terminal connectors.

GR-Research upgrade price: $409.00 - Literally one tenth of the price!

Gee... I wonder which one I'll be going with.
Have you done the 1.7i GR upgrade yet? Had been waiting for the warranty to run out before making any mods to mine. At this point most likely will just sell them as is. Have barely listened to them since I got the nx studios.

When I had been thinking about the upgrade I had thought about pulling the fabric all the way off and adding felt or foam all the way around the edge of the sound board. There is a 1/2 in lip that runs all the way around the sides.

Chops

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2023, 11:35 am »
I have observed that those who complain about what someone else charges for something, curiously, don't seem to apply the same standard of "justification" when it comes time to sell their own property.  Go figure.

Well it looks like you're observing the wrong people. If and when I sell something, I sell it at a realistic, reasonable price, typically averaging between what others are selling like items or the same item at.

I'm complaining about Magnepan's upgrade pricing because they are outright price gouging, plain and simple. Unless they are using the best of the best of components of the likes of Duelund capacitors, resistors and inductors (and you know darn well they're not), they have no way to justify the prices they're charging for the upgrades.

How on Earth are you going to sell a brand new pair of 1.7i's for $3000, then charge another $4000 on top of that for crossover upgrades? Purely stupid.

The only other thing is, they don't want to do the upgrades so they're trying to price themselves right out of the market.

Chops

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2023, 12:11 pm »
Have you done the 1.7i GR upgrade yet? Had been waiting for the warranty to run out before making any mods to mine. At this point most likely will just sell them as is. Have barely listened to them since I got the nx studios.

I haven't yet, but will eventually.

I'm willing to bet Danny's upgrade is more well thought out and will probably outperform Magnepan's own "X" upgrades. Though I did read somewhere that Magnepan will convert the 1.7i's 3-ways to 2-ways upon request. Whether they give any reasons to the benefits of that to the customer or not is a different story.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2023, 05:19 pm »
I agree 1000% with Chops!👍

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2023, 05:25 pm »
From jmimac351:
“I have observed that those who complain about what someone else charges for something, curiously, don't seem to apply the same standard of "justification" when it comes time to sell their own property.  Go figure “
I don’t know where you are coming from with this, but nobody here has ever stated anything like that. Don’t make things up here.

Tam Lin

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2023, 07:30 pm »
I am seeing some noise on the X series of magnepans. The 1.7x, 3.7x, etc.

The idea comes from Audio Excellence.
https://www.audioexcellence.ca/blogs/audio-excellence/unveiling-the-magnepan-x-upgrade-program-elevate-your-sonic-journey-with-the-mg2-7i

I'm complaining about Magnepan's upgrade pricing because they are outright price gouging, plain and simple.
Do your homework before you complain about Magnepan. They have nothing to do with the X-Series upgrades.

mr_bill

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2023, 07:52 pm »
Do we even know the actual upgrade cost for the 1.7i?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2023, 09:16 pm »
It looks like they're contemplating some sort of modifications to existing speakers.   
The idea may have sprung from one of their dealers.

I've seen lots of speculation but I don't believe anyone has produced an actual invoice.
I do know they're trying out some new things.  Some they've tried in the past and it simply didn't work out.

Hafgrim

« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2023, 10:49 pm »
Some of you guys seem to be confused. Prices are in CAD and include the price of the magnepan. Those are not the prices of the upgrades them selves. For the people on this site I imagine they would rather pay for Danny's munch cheaper, and better performing, DIY upgrade. But it's diy in the end, I've worked on magnepans and they are a annoying to work on.

Hafgrim

« Reply #15 on: 24 Dec 2023, 10:50 pm »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2023, 12:37 am »
Hafgrim,
Thanks for posting that.
It looks like it ran him $2000 all told.
Not much left of the old 1.6s.
This program will create a lot of problems for them.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2023, 02:12 am by SteveFord »

Saturn94

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2023, 05:21 am »
...Probably no different of upgrades than Danny's, and at extremely outrageous prices…

Unless I’m misunderstanding something, the GR upgrade is a redesign of the crossover, whereas the Magnepan X upgrade is just an upgrade in parts without a redesign.

Saturn94

« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2023, 05:27 am »
Also, this seems relevant.
https://youtu.be/FAJiPTBsAog?si=8FEqiCiaqkwzWYn_

I’m not convinced the upgrade in crossover parts is responsible for the bulk of the SQ improvements he heard.  The fact that the panels were replaced with 1.7i panels could easily account for the bulk of improvements heard.  Also, I don’t know why you would now call them 1.6x when the frames are the only remaining part of the 1.6.  The are in fact 1.7i with upgraded crossover parts (ie 1.7x).

Chops

« Reply #19 on: 25 Dec 2023, 01:21 pm »
Do your homework before you complain about Magnepan. They have nothing to do with the X-Series upgrades.

You might want to take your own advice there, Spanky. Go do some research before attempting to correct me.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2023, 04:32 pm by Chops »