New guy introduction.

Eric F

New guy introduction.
« on: 26 Jan 2023, 02:53 am »
Hello, I'm Eric from Alpena, MI
51 years old, USMC vet., Master Electrician. My hobbies are HiFi (duh) trout fishing, aquariums and any outdoors warm weather activity. I have always liked HiFi and had a system of one kind or another. I have built speakers without much real knowledge, mostly trial and error. Started getting deeper into it and found this place to learn.
I have a couple of different set ups, but my main system consists of:
RME ADI-2 DAC fs
Schiit Freya+ Noval
Crown XLI2500
Several speakers-
Cerwin-Vega SL-15
Elac DBR 62
Polk T15
SONY SSCS 3
Cerwin-Vega! Vs100 rebuilds
And a couple other speakers, receivers and subs. I understand none of my speakers are "high end"
but I am running with what I got until I can afford actual next level speakers. I am here to learn, maybe ask questions and post my progress on any project for feedback or if people are interested. Currently I am retrofitting crossover in CV! SL-15s. I will post that info where appropriate. Thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New guy introduction.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2023, 03:02 am »
Welcome to AC :thumb:
I discovered hi-End equip really mean hi price.
What I look today are purist equip with no things as tone controls, xovers and hi power amps.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2023, 03:53 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2023, 01:37 pm »
Welcome!

I'm from Owosso Michigan and have been into stereo/audio for 50+ years.  Built Hafler pre/power amps and I.M.Fried transmission line bass cabinets in 1980.  Many would say its been mostly downhill ever since.  Literally dropped my nice turntable in 1984 and went digital ever since.  Now I stream, use class D amps, and floor-standing single driver transmission lines that I commissioned in 2005 in a designed listening studio with 3 subwoofers and ten absorption panels (to control inherent bass peaks/dips).  I focus on speakers and room. 

Retired a few years ago and enjoy listening every day.  I agree with FullRangeMan in that good gear isn't necessarily expensive.  I look for companies that have long track records with in-house R&D/manufacturing.  That severely limits the possibilities.  My last two loudspeakers have been active monitors from Dynaudio and JBL. 

Eric F

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2023, 04:48 am »
Really cool.I like your approach. I grew up in Davison (Flint area) so not too far away from you. Been to Owasso many times. Did I spell it right? Lol. Thanks for the welcome.