m3 turbo s/ accuphase 20 watts /roon eq

meracus

m3 turbo s/ accuphase 20 watts /roon eq
« on: 18 Dec 2022, 09:03 pm »
hello chaps
my name is andre and im new here
I recently purchased a pair of m3 turbo s
currently powered with a devialet with an m4 sam setting to boost the bass

as a hifi  collector , I like to tinker with gear ..... I have a component missing from my collection and I set my eyes on an Accuphase 20v pure class A

given the efficiency , it seems the 20v is suitable , what do you guys think ? is 20 watts ok ? anybody tried a similarly powered combo , im planning on using eq , as nulls can't be boosted im probably gonna have to attenuate certain frequencies , anyone messed with correcting a m3 turbo ?
thanks guys

mick wolfe

Re: m3 turbo s/ accuphase 20 watts /roon eq
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2022, 05:20 pm »
Same old questions.... how big is your room, music genre's and how loud do you listen?  I can only relate having once owned M2 Turbo's, but 20 watts would have left me woefully short. This considering I listen to a wide variety of music at reasonably loud but not outrageous levels. The room itself falls between the med. to large category. Last amp used that I was satisfied with was a Schiit Vidar. (100 watts into 8/200 watts into 4) This set-up was supplemented with 2 HSU subs. Given enough power, I'm not sure you'll feel the need to boost bass frequencies with 2-15" mid-woofers in play. In a perfect world, OB subs would be the ticket, but that's a whole new kettle of fish.

meracus

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2022, 11:25 pm »
hello
thanks , eclectic music taste and 15ft wide by about 12 deep
listen at moderate to low level really

Mr. Big

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2022, 01:05 am »
I owned many speakers, and the one common thing was they loved current and power. Some said Quad Electrostatic speakers could be driven by 20 watts, well they could but my McIntosh meters showed 30-40 watts when they came to life and more at times, my amp was 400 watts and these same amps drove my Spatial M3 Sapphires and they loved it. Today 300-watt Mark Levinson. Drives the 15" woofers are just great you can feel the pressure at times and slight rattles from lamps and they are not driven crazy loud.

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2022, 02:09 am »
I owned both M3 Turbos and M3 Triode Masters and 20 wpc wouldn't have cut it with either of them regardless of what the specs say unless you just want to listen to acoustic music at low volumes.

ric

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2022, 02:32 pm »
I own the M3ts and they are fine with my 30 watt VAC Avatar EL34 amp, no problems for me.

morganc

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2022, 04:12 pm »
Wattage needs depends on room size, music genre, and volume you listen to as well as the sensitivity of the speakers of course.

James Edward

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2022, 12:22 pm »
My 30 wpc class A Luxman integrated plays very well the M3 Turbo S. My room is 12ft x 16ft x 9ft, with large openings to other areas. I enjoy my music on the louder side of reality- 80-100 db depending on my mood. I keep an eye on the meters, and though they move to the right side quite a bit, they’re never close to the red danger zone (0db).
I go into this detail because at one point I did audition a couple of other speakers- both would come VERY close to the ‘red’ zone on the meters, with less output. I was using an SPL meter to verify this.
My less than scientific findings tell me that the M3TS presents a fairly benign and efficient load to the amp. I believe Luxman and Accuphase are similar in sound and build quality.
Where I fall short is not having tried other, more powerful amps as others here have.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2022, 02:54 pm »
I owned both M3 Turbos and M3 Triode Masters and 20 wpc wouldn't have cut it with either of them regardless of what the specs say unless you just want to listen to acoustic music at low volumes.

I have a differing viewpoint with the M3 Turbo...

They sound great and play quite loud with a Vinnie Rossi LIO DHT (which I think is around 20 watts).

I play all kinds of music...again, no issues.

George

harley.guy07

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2023, 07:47 am »
I have had my Turbo S's for several years and have tried them with many amplifiers. In fact just got done listening to an Enluem Amp-23R and with its 25 watts per channel, it ran them great unless you are a person that listens above 90 db all the time. Have also run them with a Cray SLI-80 HS with great results. Probably the biggest surprise was when a friend brought over a 300B amp putting out like 8 watts. It actually sounded good and ran them well if you kept the volume at average listening levels. Now my normal amp in my system is a Pass X150.5 and it runs the crap out of them and is my choice most of the time.