Shipping the NX-Oticas and Triple Subs?

Jaytor

Re: Shipping the NX-Oticas and Triple Subs?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Nov 2022, 01:25 am »
I used to own a pair of Duntech Sovereigns and moved them three times for my job (once from Boston to Silicon Valley). These were 74" tall, 34" deep, and weighed 275lbs each, uncrated. When we got ready to move a fourth time, my wife convinced me to sell them. A lucky local buyer got them for way less than I paid for them. Pretty amazing speakers in their day.  The NX-Oticas are a piece of cake in comparison.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 9 Nov 2022, 02:32 am »
I have used Craters and Freighters to great success. Very carefully packaged and palletized. Used 4 times with no problems. They will pick up from seller, package and ship to your address. Last time I had 2 pallets from Colorado to NH. Just over $1200. My gorgeous Mulcahey Horn System

Went with the Craters and Freighters rec.  They will box and crate each speaker and ship it direct to me, with insurance.  Total is $1500.  Expensive but I felt like it was the least risky of the options.

celebrat

« Reply #22 on: 9 Nov 2022, 02:46 am »
Hi Tyson
I think you made a sensible choice. The Craters and Freighters shipped (and carefully packaged) both of those Azura horns, the 2 big bass bins as well as the crossovers and miscellaneous power supplies and parts. I was sent photos of the packaging before shipping. Went on 2 pallets with 15lk of insurance provided by them so no dealing with trucking companies. Arrived perfectly. Those are beautiful speakers you have coming to you. I also have the NX Oticas and they are awesome. Of course you already know that. My Mulcahey Horns are my pride and joy but the NX-Oticas are truly special. Enjoy :)

Tyson

« Reply #23 on: 9 Nov 2022, 03:04 am »
Hi Tyson
I think you made a sensible choice. The Craters and Freighters shipped (and carefully packaged) both of those Azura horns, the 2 big bass bins as well as the crossovers and miscellaneous power supplies and parts. I was sent photos of the packaging before shipping. Went on 2 pallets with 15lk of insurance provided by them so no dealing with trucking companies. Arrived perfectly. Those are beautiful speakers you have coming to you. I also have the NX Oticas and they are awesome. Of course you already know that. My Mulcahey Horns are my pride and joy but the NX-Oticas are truly special. Enjoy :)

Thanks, I really appreciate the info and your endorsement, I'm feeling a lot better about the whole process now.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #24 on: 9 Nov 2022, 04:02 am »
Glad you have it worked out! Now comes the waiting.

Looking forward to your listening impressions when you get them.  :bounce:

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #25 on: 9 Nov 2022, 03:27 pm »
I tip my toque too you Tyson, most people in this hobby(sport) don't actually put their money where there mouth is, and you did!! Now to complete your speaker ensemble, we should talk Line Force!!

Cheers,

Don

Tyson

« Reply #26 on: 10 Nov 2022, 02:24 am »
Does anyone have a schematic for the NX-Otica that they could send me?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #27 on: 10 Nov 2022, 03:57 am »
And what are you going to upgrade.  I can see all the boxes out of the closet and parts spread around, mmmm what can use :scratch:

We're waiting :popcorn:

Alan

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #28 on: 10 Nov 2022, 04:01 am »

I bet Danny has it.  :peek:

BrandonB

« Reply #29 on: 3 Feb 2023, 11:36 pm »
OK, so I bought these:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=183572.0

Now I just need to get them from California to Colorado. 

Does anyone have some advice on that?  I'd planned to just fly to CA, rent a Uhaul and drive them back to CO.   But that's CRAZY EXPENSIVE.  Like almost $3k when all is said and done.

Another option I saw while I was on the Uhaul website is Ubox:

https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/

Basically you rent a portable storage box from Uhaul, then a packing crew packs up your stuff and would drive it to CO and unpack it here for me.  Total cost would be less than $2k.  I'm leaning toward doing this.

Does anyone know of a better or cheaper way to do it than this?  The seller doesn't have packing material and won't box things, so freight is not possible.  And that's OK, I knew that going in.
Tyson I see you have had these a while.  How do you like them compared to the studio's you reviewed.  Have you made any changes?   

Tyson

« Reply #30 on: 4 Feb 2023, 12:12 am »
Tyson I see you have had these a while.  How do you like them compared to the studio's you reviewed.  Have you made any changes?   

Oh, you know for sure I had to improve the crossovers.  Got all the parts in last week.  The new crossover is so massive, it barely fits.  Stuffing it in to the base of the NX-Otica is quite comical:

I am very happy with them.  You do need to sit at least 10 feet from them as the MTM design needs that much space to fully cohere.  With the new crossover, with what I'm hearing so far, I'd say they are not as good as the Super 7's for Classical, Jazz, or female vocals.  But the NX-Oticas might actually be better than the Super 7's for Rock, blues, electronica and male vocals.  Oh, and HT.  NX-Oticas with triple subs are much better for HT than the Super 7's. 

Overall I still prefer the Super 7's because of the type of music I listen to, but I can see why someone might prefer the NX-Oticas. 

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #31 on: 4 Feb 2023, 12:30 am »
So much for open baffle on that bottom woofer. Did you throw your back out moving that thing around?  :lol:

Jon L

« Reply #32 on: 4 Feb 2023, 12:37 am »

Oh God, it was such torture resisting the urge to buy these speakers, which is somewhat local to me, but I need another pair of speakers like I need another #$%$!

Enjoy  :thumb:

BrandonB

« Reply #33 on: 4 Feb 2023, 01:07 am »
Oh, you know for sure I had to improve the crossovers.  Got all the parts in last week.  The new crossover is so massive, it barely fits.  Stuffing it in to the base of the NX-Otica is quite comical:

I am very happy with them.  You do need to sit at least 10 feet from them as the MTM design needs that much space to fully cohere.  With the new crossover, with what I'm hearing so far, I'd say they are not as good as the Super 7's for Classical, Jazz, or female vocals.  But the NX-Oticas might actually be better than the Super 7's for Rock, blues, electronica and male vocals.  Oh, and HT.  NX-Oticas with triple subs are much better for HT than the Super 7's. 

Overall I still prefer the Super 7's because of the type of music I listen to, but I can see why someone might prefer the NX-Oticas.

WOW! that crossover is crazy.  Can you tell me what all you have in it?  Do you think the Otica's are to much  for a 18x13 enclosed room or should I look at the NX-Studios. 

Tyson

« Reply #34 on: 4 Feb 2023, 01:32 am »
So much for open baffle on that bottom woofer. Did you throw your back out moving that thing around?  :lol:

They do weigh about 20lbs each, now.  More of a bicep workout than anything :P

Oh God, it was such torture resisting the urge to buy these speakers, which is somewhat local to me, but I need another pair of speakers like I need another #$%$!

Enjoy  :thumb:

Thanks, it was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up.  If you know anyone that wants to buy my old Spatial X3's, send them my way  :thumb:

WOW! that crossover is crazy.  Can you tell me what all you have in it?  Do you think the Otica's are to much  for a 18x13 enclosed room or should I look at the NX-Studios. 

Inductors are all Jantzen copper foil in wax, the big caps are Miflex copper, the smaller caps are Janzen Alumen Z Cap along with a pair of Clarity CSA caps.  Resistors are Duelund Graphite.  Yeah, it was really expensive, about $3k total ($1500 per speaker).  It definitely brings in that last 15% of improvement.  Which might not sound like much, but when the speaker is already world class, like the NX-Otica is, then even small improvements become significant. 

For your room, I'd probably do the NX-Studio on top of double or triple subs.  Or, if you are patient, GR Research is designing a slimmed down NX-Otica, a little brother using 3 of the 8 inch Servo subs.  Here's a pic of the mock up:

Jaytor

« Reply #35 on: 4 Feb 2023, 04:57 pm »

Lookin' good!