Shipping the NX-Oticas and Triple Subs?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Shipping the NX-Oticas and Triple Subs?
« on: 6 Nov 2022, 07:44 pm »
OK, so I bought these:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=183572.0

Now I just need to get them from California to Colorado. 

Does anyone have some advice on that?  I'd planned to just fly to CA, rent a Uhaul and drive them back to CO.   But that's CRAZY EXPENSIVE.  Like almost $3k when all is said and done.

Another option I saw while I was on the Uhaul website is Ubox:

https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/

Basically you rent a portable storage box from Uhaul, then a packing crew packs up your stuff and would drive it to CO and unpack it here for me.  Total cost would be less than $2k.  I'm leaning toward doing this.

Does anyone know of a better or cheaper way to do it than this?  The seller doesn't have packing material and won't box things, so freight is not possible.  And that's OK, I knew that going in. 
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2022, 02:24 am by Tyson »

Jaytor

Re: Shipping the NX-Oticas and Tripple Subs?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2022, 07:50 pm »
The other option to consider is to contact one of the national moving companies and see if they can add it to another load. This might be a fair amount less than $2K and they have insurance to cover any damage. Plus they should know how to pack/wrap them to avoid any damage.

I gave my NX-Oticas to my son and he took them from Portland to San Diego as part of a UHaul full of other stuff. We wrapped the speakers in cling wrap (with cardboard covering the front baffle), then moving blankets held in place with more cling wrap. They arrived unscathed despite the fact the were just loaded in the truck with a bunch of other stuff (e.g. not strapped in).

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2022, 08:08 pm »
3 days in a car and $600 worth of gas & red bull for a long weekend road trip.  :lol:

That'll be one hell of a fun setup!

jn316

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2022, 08:20 pm »
3 days in a car and $600 worth of gas & red bull for a long weekend road trip.  :lol:

When I saw on the other thread that you bought them, this is what I figured you would do...maybe an extended Thanksgiving weekend? Heck, I'll come up from the Springs, pick you up with my Sienna Minivan, and we can do the road trip. All I ask is your Super 7s in return.  8)

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2022, 10:26 pm »
 :o :o :o

And just what the heck are you going to do with those? You already have such great stuff - are you giving something up? Did you build another listening room?

J/k. A bit jealous - would love to hear those with the Tripps.

Not sure what to do about shipping though. Trust somebody to build good boxes around them and then ship, but……..Who?

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2022, 10:38 pm »
And just what the heck are you going to do with those? You already have such great stuff - are you giving something up? Did you build another listening room?

Tyson is undoubtedly, unequivocally, and unquestionably the most audiophilic audiophile on audiocircle!

Are you gonna replace your Spatials with this setup?     

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2022, 11:26 pm »
If using the uhaul method I would be cautious of the "Movers" they are referring to.  At best they will be a day labor.  I used the service to get boxes inside the house and that was like hearding goats with a stick.

I was just talking with a neighbor on how I would demo drive a used pickup to haul a piece of furniture the wife bought years ago.

I wonder on getting them to a ups store where they pack and ship?  Or change of company.

I do know major moving company's load a similar crate for storage or moving small apartments etc.

If the wife wasn't awaiting surgery I am up for a road trip :thumb:

Alan

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2022, 12:27 am »
The other option to consider is to contact one of the national moving companies and see if they can add it to another load. This might be a fair amount less than $2K and they have insurance to cover any damage. Plus they should know how to pack/wrap them to avoid any damage.

I gave my NX-Oticas to my son and he took them from Portland to San Diego as part of a UHaul full of other stuff. We wrapped the speakers in cling wrap (with cardboard covering the front baffle), then moving blankets held in place with more cling wrap. They arrived unscathed despite the fact the were just loaded in the truck with a bunch of other stuff (e.g. not strapped in).

You gave your son NX-Oticas?  Hell, can I be your adopted son?

5 years ago I would have done it that way no question.  But 3 things held me back - my SUV wouldn't fit all 4 boxes, plus it's winter and I don't want to deal with snow over the mountains, and finally, I'm old :)

When I saw on the other thread that you bought them, this is what I figured you would do...maybe an extended Thanksgiving weekend? Heck, I'll come up from the Springs, pick you up with my Sienna Minivan, and we can do the road trip. All I ask is your Super 7s in return.  8)

Deal.  I'll leave the Super 7's to you in my will.

:o :o :o

J/k. A bit jealous - would love to hear those with the Tripps.

Not sure what to do about shipping though. Trust somebody to build good boxes around them and then ship, but……..Who?

It's going to be my bathroom system.  You know, to help me sing in the shower.

Tyson is undoubtedly, unequivocally, and unquestionably the most audiophilic audiophile on audiocircle!

Are you gonna replace your Spatials with this setup?     

Right now I have the X3's in my 2nd system upstairs and the Super 7's in my main system downstairs (also my HT is down there).  What I realized is my music listening has shifted and 90% happens in the upstairs system now.  So I decided to move my Super 7's upstairs.  I was going to put the X3's downstairs but I was worried that the single 15" woofer would have trouble with the demands of movies in the HT.

Then I saw the NX-Oticas and triple subs for sale for a screaming deal and bought it more or less on impulse.  They seem like a much better fit for the HT than the X3's.  And better than the Super 7's too.  I mean specifically for HT.   The Super 7's still rule for music.  Nothing but the Line Force can beat them there, IME. 

If using the uhaul method I would be cautious of the "Movers" they are referring to.  At best they will be a day labor.  I used the service to get boxes inside the house and that was like hearding goats with a stick.

I was just talking with a neighbor on how I would demo drive a used pickup to haul a piece of furniture the wife bought years ago.

I wonder on getting them to a ups store where they pack and ship?  Or change of company.

I do know major moving company's load a similar crate for storage or moving small apartments etc.

If the wife wasn't awaiting surgery I am up for a road trip :thumb:

Alan

Thank you, that helps a lot.  It got me to search around on national movers and I found this:

https://www.forbes.com/home-improvement/moving-services/best-moving-companies-denver-co/

3 of the companies listed there seem like they would all be good fits for what I need.  I'll call around this week to see.  Thanks again  :thumb:

morganc

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2022, 12:32 am »
I was just about to pull the trigger on the subs as it’s just a 6 hour drive for me and my best friend leaves nearby. Glad you got ‘em!

Tyson

« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2022, 12:38 am »
I was just about to pull the trigger on the subs as it’s just a 6 hour drive for me and my best friend leaves nearby. Glad you got ‘em!

Thanks man, I appreciate that. 

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2022, 12:53 am »
Right now I have the X3's in my 2nd system upstairs and the Super 7's in my main system downstairs (also my HT is down there).  What I realized is my music listening has shifted and 90% happens in the upstairs system now.  So I decided to move my Super 7's upstairs.  I was going to put the X3's downstairs but I was worried that the single 15" woofer would have trouble with the demands of movies in the HT.

Then I saw the NX-Oticas and triple subs for sale for a screaming deal and bought it more or less on impulse.  They seem like a much better fit for the HT than the X3's.  And better than the Super 7's too.  I mean specifically for HT.   The Super 7's still rule for music.  Nothing but the Line Force can beat them there, IME. 

Oh, this makes sense. You'll definitely need a set of 22 lb. crossovers to get them to sing, though. 8)

2bigears

« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2022, 01:15 am »
 :D good score Tyson.  I was looking at that deal. Fantastic quad setup !  Bass heaven.  :D

VinceT

Re: Shipping the NX-Oticas and Triple Subs?
« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2022, 06:10 am »
There are ways to get these shipped, but I would see if the seller can somehow box or crate the Oticas. The tricky thing with these is load securement. It was a bit easier with my LS9s being they are a box speaker. I operate a logistics company so i was able to secure a sprinter van with only my freight inside. Uship is always a good option, but the driver needs to known what he is doing and not have your speakers in back of a trailer with a bunch of other random loads banging around . But again I would not ship anything without some kind of boxing and packaging for both speaker and subs. I would discuss with the seller a safe way to box and blanket wrap these speakers, and the transporter you want pictures before he leaves the shipper's residence with the speakers secured in the back of the truck/trailer before you give the good to leave California and you are satisfied the product is ssfe for transport, and have the seller watch the driver load and secure the speakers so you both are satisfied.

celebrat

« Reply #13 on: 7 Nov 2022, 11:37 am »
I have used Craters and Freighters to great success. Very carefully packaged and palletized. Used 4 times with no problems. They will pick up from seller, package and ship to your address. Last time I had 2 pallets from Colorado to NH. Just over $1200. My gorgeous Mulcahey Horn System

celebrat

« Reply #14 on: 7 Nov 2022, 12:13 pm »
Fully Insured as well :)

genjamon

« Reply #15 on: 7 Nov 2022, 01:12 pm »
Yeah, given the sensitivity of packing and securing properly for shipment, I’d probably want to be there for the loading and unloading. Adding the cost of a flight out there puts the Ubox option up there with renting a UHaul yourself. But at least it would save you the drive to go with Ubox.

genjamon

« Reply #16 on: 7 Nov 2022, 01:17 pm »
What about just renting a minivan for a one-way trip? The Chrysler/Dodge minivans have seats that fold down into the floorboard, baking the entire rear area a storage. I used this option when I had to move to KS during pandemic summer of 2020, and flying wasn’t gonna be an option. Brought a couple bikes us, extra monitors for WFH needs, etc. probably would cost you less than $1k, and I bet you could fit everything in one of those minivans.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #17 on: 7 Nov 2022, 03:36 pm »
You could look into “Less than truckload” (LTL) carriers like Shiply but there’s risks to that. You’d have to find someone trustworthy to crate them up and put them in the truck, and then they would go into a truck with other shipments running the same direction.  The timelines can be long too since the first load in is the last load out and vise versa.

VinceT

« Reply #18 on: 7 Nov 2022, 04:08 pm »
LTL is an option. But like many have suggested it requires professional crating, also want to add you will need a lift gate truck at both pick up and delivery which is and both services are an additional charge. With LTL there is a lot if handling, cross docking, transfers involved and potential for freight claims in much higher. I'd say safest bet is a u ship guy with a cargo van, as long as there is a plan for packing and transport, picture verification as already mentioned. And you can actually have a conversation with the driver.

With the Oticas you have some options to maybe lay these down with the inside wing side down. You would have to somehow account for the base while laying these down. When the driver straps it down and readies to transport a lot of blankets have to be used and none of the straps can touch the speaker drivers. Another option is to maybe remove the crossover and bottom speaker and ship these standing up using the cut out for bottom of the baffle to secure the speakers down with straps. In both cases I would use some kind of pallet for these lay or stand these up on. The servo subs are pretty easy to ship. Crating these are not much easier because you need to account for the challenges I mentioned. They cannot have anything touch the face or back of the baffles and damage any of the speakers. Disassembling and removing the speakers from the baffle and boxing separate would be the safest bet all together. That would allow ease of transport and packaging. Knowing Tyson he probably already has some mods in mind anyway with new internal wire, crossover parts etc. so removing the drivers would be safest for transport and not an inconvenience.
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2022, 08:15 pm by VinceT »

alaska_grown

« Reply #19 on: 8 Nov 2022, 12:47 am »
Looking forward to hearing more on this move. Very interested in the NX-Oticas...but I move a lot due to my work and they look to be a bit awkward to have to handle a cross-country relocation every few years.