LGK 2.1 Sneak peak

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
Re: LGK 2.1 Sneak peak
« Reply #20 on: 16 Oct 2022, 01:30 am »
They've turned out great!

Taking the bass frequencies off of the LGK driver really helped to open up the midrange performance. So vocals and strings sound fantastic.
It also allows you to push the speaker a lot further/louder than the LGK 2.0 alone, so they're better suited for larger rooms, even without a sub.

The bass on the 2.1 isn't quite as detailed, but being able to push it further and having a more gradual roll off is a fair trade-off, plus it also allows for near-wall placement and easy integration with a subwoofer without the need for a high-pass filter.

Here's the On-Axis response.

If you find the very top end to be a little bright, towing them out to roughly 10° will help to soften it quite a bit. I personally didn't have a problem with it.

Addressing it with a notch filter, like on the 2.0, would have required a larger cabinet, or using two separate boards, as it's already a tight fit as it is.

Danny plans to film a video on it this week, likely to go live after the Klipsch RC-64 III upgrade video.
The 5 db at 11khz suits me fine. At my age I need it. The distortion there, not so much.
Can you stop calling these LGKs? These are no relation to the originals.
Let's see the untruncated Low FR measurement.
Are these ported? Can you optimize for a stuffed port alignment at 80hz for use with subs?

thanks

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 16 Oct 2022, 02:52 am »
They're a sealed box, so there's no worries about port tuning, and they naturally begin to roll off around 70Hz.

Danny is the one that came up with the LGK line so that's up to him.
The only way we can get non-truncated measurements below 200Hz is more difficult as we dont have an anechoic chamber to get accurate results. Best we can do would be to take nearfield measurements. Also dont forget that below 200Hz, the room is far more likely to dominate the response far more than the speaker does.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 16 Oct 2022, 03:06 am »
They're a sealed box, so there's no worries about port tuning, and they naturally begin to roll off around 70Hz.

Danny is the one that came up with the LGK line so that's up to him.
The only way we can get non-truncated measurements below 200Hz is more difficult as we dont have an anechoic chamber to get accurate results. Best we can do would be to take nearfield measurements. Also dont forget that below 200Hz, the room is far more likely to dominate the response far more than the speaker does.

Thanks, I doubt that I want to see nearfield measurements even at higher frquencies. At low frquencies the room is the whole enchilada. Even so, if you have a mic you can take them outside to measure, just for my and/or your amusement.

tuckergeorge

« Reply #23 on: 24 Oct 2022, 10:00 pm »
I finished them at 11:30 last night, so I couldn't turn them up to really hear them without getting nuisance calls.
Soon as I have a chance, I'll compare them directly to the smaller 2.0s.

Let us know once you get a chance to really open them up! Are you using inline high pass filters to knock off some low end and push them a little harder, or does the crossover to that 5inch cone do a good enough job?

Also, how are the dynamics?

Maybe I'm asking silly questions for a "desktop" speaker, but I actually want to use these for music and movies in my 18x18 theater. I don't like movie theater volume, but I do like movie theater dynamic range, and I like music with a high dynamic range as well.

Thanks,
Tucker ( new here :wave: )

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 26 Oct 2022, 03:53 pm »
When I was listening to them after I finished putting them together, they really sounded great, even pushing them fairly hard, easily beyond where the smaller 2.0s would struggle without a 125Hz high-pass filter.
When we put them in Danny's system, we did have an in-line filter taking off the bottom octave, since his room is a lot bigger, where the bass would easily get swallowed up, allowing the subs to take over and We were able to push them quite hard without ever really making them struggle, even on dynamic drum tracks.

They may struggle a little with dynamics down low as mains in a HT setup, especially without subs, but we are working on a tower version using 4 woofers down low to allow for better bass control and dynamics as L&R mains, and we are also just about finished with the network center channel-version as well.

If you set the speakers to "small" on your receiver and use a sub to take over the bottom end, you may be just fine with regards to dynamics.

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 28 Oct 2022, 10:58 pm »
Can you stop calling these LGKs? These are no relation to the originals.

They are very similar and even better than the originals.

Have you heard the audio clips played through these speakers?

Downloads:
👉 LGK 2.1 Sound Clips Downloads: https://bit.ly/3RJeMK9

👉 Original Music Files (for comparison): https://bit.ly/3ROjUwQ

Artist Support:
Jack Johnson: https://jackjohnsonmusic.com/
Allison Krauss: https://www.plantkrauss.com/
Vienna Teng: https://stores.portmerch.com/viennateng/

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 4 Nov 2022, 08:12 pm »
Though it'd share some feedback from a customer who just finished building a pair of 2.1s:

Awesome.

That’s the word.

I got the speakers all set up. My first diy speaker set up I’ve ever done, in sure they’re not done perfect as it’s my first but they sound incredible. They truly do. They’re on my desktop with my computer and they are BY FAR the most well balanced speakers I have heard on the computer. It’s insane. All the issues I have had with my other desktop speakers are gone and they just play the music and videos as intended. Perfect.