BDP-1 VS newer variants as squeezebox

sfraser

BDP-1 VS newer variants as squeezebox
« on: 11 Oct 2022, 12:45 pm »
Good morning.  I have been a long time squeezeserver (LMS) fan. Currently most of my Squeezebox's (SB's) are of the Pi variant with a HiFiberry DAC or "digital out" HAT installed. I was thinking of picking up a used BDP-1. It would only be used as a SB Squeezelite client  "Digital out", player,  controlled remotely via the LMS remote control and hardwired to my local  network.  I have a couple of questions. Can i configure the BDP-1 so that the Squeezelite client is always active when I turn it on?  Second , used only as a SB , is there any reason why I should look at a BDP-2 ?

Thanks,

Scott                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-1 VS newer variants as squeezebox
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2022, 01:57 pm »
HI Scott - I would send this to Chris - crice@bryston.com

james

sfraser

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2022, 02:38 pm »
Thanks James, message has been sent.

jcn3

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2022, 05:31 pm »
Thanks James, message has been sent.

I think it's been amazing how long the BDP-1 has been supported.  I do think that its worth noting that a Raspberry Pi 4B would be more powerful from a processor and memory point of view.  Of course, the quality of the power supply is a consideration and would need to be at least on par with what's in the BDP-1.

sfraser

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2022, 05:49 pm »
I think it's been amazing how long the BDP-1 has been supported.  I do think that its worth noting that a Raspberry Pi 4B would be more powerful from a processor and memory point of view.  Of course, the quality of the power supply is a consideration and would need to be at least on par with what's in the BDP-1.

I agree, normally I would spark up another Pi/HiFiBerry. The issue I am experiencing now is a shortage of Pi availability/or ludicrous pricing for them.   I thought this might be a great opportunity to  pick up a used BDP-1 and give it a go with an existing DAC in my pre/pro etc. I don't know what the background overhead is on a BDP-1 H/W resources, but the squeezelite client should be a minimum increase.

Scott