XLS Encore Build

JoshuaBarz

XLS Encore Build
« on: 21 Sep 2022, 02:05 pm »
Hello all,

I built the XLS Encore’s as my third or fourth big speaker project about 6 years ago. I learned a lot of neat techniques along the way and files away some notes on plans for future cabinets.

Now that I have access to an XCarve CNC router, I want to build some curved cabinets. While I plan on documenting that process, I wanted to share the old build here first.

So here you go. I used a tongue and groove technique that really gave me a lot of faith in the sturdiness. Check it out.

Also, if anyone here has links to an XLS Encore curved cabinet build, I’d love to see it. I can’t use the search function yet.

Danny Richie

Re: XLS Encore Build
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2022, 03:42 pm »
Curving the sides and creating a cool shape is fine if you keep the air space the same or larger (they can use more air space), and keep the front area the same. Changing the surface area of the front baffle will alter the response.

JoshuaBarz

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2022, 02:03 pm »
Thank you. Yes, the front baffle will remain unchanged.

Digi-G

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2022, 08:20 pm »
I built the NX-Studios a while back and considered making the sides curved.    But with my limited woodworking ability, limited woodworking tools and limited patience (Lol) I said screw it.  No regerts (sic) on my part.  I love the speakers.

Good luck with your build and I look forward to following along.

JoshuaBarz

« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2022, 04:25 pm »
I just joined a local Maker Space, so I’m excited to get to use their cnc routers etc.