Introduction and Crossover Board Question

Shackney1127

Introduction and Crossover Board Question
« on: 16 Sep 2022, 10:17 pm »
Hi, my name is Stephen; I'm 39. I've been into diy audio for about the last year. I enjoy the satisfaction of building things. I've built the Akitika amp and preamp and the Bottlehead Crack. Currently, I'm looking at speakers. I just purchased a Klipsch 600m (Old model, not the new one). I'm looking to do the GR Research upgrade for this speaker. I've watched the videos of it being constructed. My concern is the crossover. I don't have a workshop where I can cut out a board. Not sure if you can just request that small a piece of wood at Home Depot. I was wondering if 3d printing was an option and if there were any blueprints for download anywhere. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
Re: Introduction and Crossover Board Question
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2022, 10:03 pm »
I can cut you a pair of boards and ship them to you, if you have no option local to you.  You could of course 3d print,  but my experience has been that 1/4" Baltic birch ply is probably stronger than 3d printed and likely cheaper material cost.

Buying even a partial sheet of plywood to cut one set of boards might not be cost effective. Almost any scrap material you find in the discard bin at your lumber store could likely work.  Id have to look up what dimension I've used for RP-600m but 5" x 8" is probably plenty. 

If you want me to ship you a pair of boards I'll ship em to you for $10. That's probably $6 or 7 just for the shipping cost and the remaining for the material.  Normally, I'd probably donate the material and cut them for free with you just paying the shipping, but wood keeps getting more and more expensive.

Elon
elon@ezeescrossovers.com

fre11111

• Industry Participant
Re: Introduction and Crossover Board Question
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2022, 08:44 am »
Hi there,
Another option is to go to Lowes or Home Depot and ask for Hobby Boards. They come in 3.5 x 24 inches, 5.5 x 24 inches and so on. You can ask them to cut for you for free. Elon raised a good point, wood is getting expensive. Goodluck and have fun on your project.

Frederick