Nola Discussion

vsrrr

Nola Discussion
« on: 14 Sep 2022, 05:28 pm »
Hi all, this is my first post.

After owning Nola Boxers before selling everything and moving overseas, I recently moved back to New York and have just started building a system around a pair of Nola KO's.

I'd love to start a thread about these speakers to share info and also meet others who own or have experience with these speakers.

Phil A

Re: Nola Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2022, 07:24 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2022, 07:26 pm »
Once you have a few posts you can do searches to find discussions about Nola speakers - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179841.msg1890251#msg1890251

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2022, 09:47 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC vsrrr   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2022, 10:09 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

vsrrr

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2022, 02:26 pm »
Thanks all. I'll do my best not to create new posts about subjects that may have already been discussed!

vsrrr

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2022, 02:28 pm »
PS are there any Circles for different states/regions? Would be amazing to have a NY/NE section for people who might want to meet up and listen to each others' systems.

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2022, 05:59 pm »
Welcome to AC. My friend has a pair of Nola KO's. Drives them with Quicksilver V4 monos.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2022, 08:58 pm »
PS are there any Circles for different states/regions? Would be amazing to have a NY/NE section for people who might want to meet up and listen to each others' systems.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=55.0

vsrrr

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2022, 11:12 pm »
Welcome to AC. My friend has a pair of Nola KO's. Drives them with Quicksilver V4 monos.

Interesting takeaways so far:
1. Carl has only ever shown the KO's with tube amplification at audio shows, and to my knowledge, he's never shown them being driven with more than 100W of power.
2. Your friend drives them with 170W tube monos
3. The fellow I bought them from drove them with a 400W ML solid state

My big question to myself:
Do I really need to prioritize this much power?

Integrated amplifiers I've been hunting for used:
Audio Research GSI75 (75W)
Line Magnetic 805 (50W)

Others I've been considering:
Vinnie Rossi LIO (25W)
Rogue Cronus Magnum (100W)
Roksan Blak (150W)
Luxman 590 (30W) or 509 (120W)
Gamut DI-150 (150W)

I'm struggling to find much Nola info on here, but if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2022, 11:52 pm »
Good question in regard to power. I believe they're around 90db in efficiency. My friend's room a fairly large especially in regard to ceiling height. So the power is welcome in this situation. In a medium size room, you'd most likely be able to get by with less power for sure.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2022, 01:46 pm »
The relationship between power (watts) and sound pressure levels (dB) is logarithmic, meaning it takes ten times the watts to double the dB and doubling the watts only adds 3 dB.  So bumping wattage from 50 to 75 watts adds less than 2 dB.  More importantly look for beefier power supply/transformers/capacitors so the amp provides a commanding grip on the loudspeakers. 

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2022, 03:16 pm »

I'm struggling to find much Nola info on here, but if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!

Just go to the 'search' function near the top of the page and enter the term 'Nola'

mick wolfe

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2022, 04:06 pm »
Interesting takeaways so far:
1. Carl has only ever shown the KO's with tube amplification at audio shows, and to my knowledge, he's never shown them being driven with more than 100W of power.
2. Your friend drives them with 170W tube monos
3. The fellow I bought them from drove them with a 400W ML solid state

My big question to myself:
Do I really need to prioritize this much power?

Integrated amplifiers I've been hunting for used:
Audio Research GSI75 (75W)
Line Magnetic 805 (50W)

Others I've been considering:
Vinnie Rossi LIO (25W)
Rogue Cronus Magnum (100W)
Roksan Blak (150W)
Luxman 590 (30W) or 509 (120W)
Gamut DI-150 (150W)

The first two mentioned ( AR and LM) would be fine in a medium sized room provided you're not a head banger. Room size, music choices and desired volume levels are key to getting the most accurate answer to your question BTW. Of the others, the Rogue Cronus Magnum and Luxman 509 ( the 120 watt version) would be the safest bet if you listen at fairly decent volume levels. Not familar with Gamut or Roksan, but their power ratings seem to make them a safe bet as well. As sweet as the Vinnie is, just not enough juice there....especially at the asking price.