Room treatment journey

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Room treatment journey
« on: 8 Sep 2022, 02:43 am »
While I spend the next 4 weeks burning in the new NX-Studio crossovers, i figured it would be a good time to start working on my room.
Plus I've just sent my Greek tube preamp to Charlie Cocci be serviced/upgraded.

It's easily the weakest point of my setup, as I'm still to lazy to go and buy actual furniture.. So I have a lot of bare walls, and even in the near/mid field, I can tell I'm getting a lot of room interaction. Especially with OB speakers like my X-Statiks or Danny's Wedgies.

I figured the easiest place to start would with some DIY absorption panels, Killian released a few months ago. Each kit makes a pair of panels.
https://www.dentonwoodworkers.com/shop/absorption-frames-kits/2?page=1&limit=60&sort_by=category_order&sort_order=asc

Gunna start with eight 24x24x5.5" panels. 4 in the front, 4 in the back. I plan to get 12 in total. Making 8 in the front and 4 in the rear. I'm also planning to make the rear units into hybrid absorption/diffusion pannels.

Assembly is pretty simple, as the plywood is quite light and soft,
The trick is to make sure the holes for the corner pieces are all on the same side.
I didn't use any glue, but it wouldn't hurt to add some before screwing the panels together if you're inclinded.

Then from there you attach the two outside pieces together

Then install the first corner brace.

Then you can repeat the process for the remaining frame and corner pieces.

The holes on the bottom are for the in case you want to leave a gap between the panel and the walls. I plan to leave a 4-5" gap so the provided pegs are a little too small for my needs.

The screws take a square head which works really well.

Next step is to find some suitable cloth to wrap them in, and buy a bunch of rockwool to stuff them.
I have a bunch of black grill cloth left over from my NX Studios, so I may start with that.

Ill keep you posted once I make more progress.
But for now, I'm 2 frames down 6 more to go!  :thumb:

Badd99

Re: Room treatment journey
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2022, 11:47 pm »
I recommend accoustic Maine fabric. It doesn't look different but it is. It's far better for panels than the cheap stuff and worth the few extra bucks, trust me. Do it right once and be done!

Mikethehunterguy

Re: Room treatment journey
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2022, 11:03 pm »
Keep us in The loop. I'm planning on doing .you own panels this winter. I will go 6" deep. Probably multiple 2'x2' panels as what I've read shows this to be more effective.