X-SLS woofer troubleshooting

Kilomiles1

X-SLS woofer troubleshooting
« on: 3 Sep 2022, 05:35 am »
Hey all,

Just got my kit in today and spend all evening building it up! Threw on a record and the right channel seemed off. After a minute or two it popped/crackled and everything sounded fine. I got close and noticed the the woofer wasn’t getting any power. But then it came back on, So I switched everything around to make sure it wasn’t my amp or cables, and it did the same thing. It seems to be periodic, but always seems to require a “warm up” while the other speaker comes on and has no issues. The cut out is also cut sporadic and has been diminishing over a record or two.

Where should I begin looking? Is this just break in?

Here is a picture of my crossovers, not sure which is in the problematic channel, but if there is something obvious to others, I’d love the insight. I’ll open em up tomorrow to take a closer look and would love some guidance as to what I should be looking for. I’ll also throw my multi meter on the terminals, someone posted that is a good step to take.

Thanks y’all.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: X-SLS woofer troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2022, 12:51 pm »
That is definitely not break-in. Break-in is the suspension of the woofer being loosened over time. It should never pop or crackle.

It sounds like a bad/loose connection somewhere, so i would test the woofer outside of the cabinet first, no network amp straight to woofer to make sure it's not an issue with the woofer.

Next I would check each of the connections in the woofer circuit to make sure there is good connection between the wires on the woofer and the crossover.

Those look like US Coils inductors, but I would still make sure that the leads are making good contact with the tinned leads, as the red enamel is an insulator which will prevent a good connection as the soldering iron often isn't hot enough to burn it away.

You might also have a cold solder joint that didn't get enough heat to properly melt the solder. In which case, re heating the solder joints will reflow the solder and allow for a better connection.

That's where i would start.

Kilomiles1

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2022, 03:10 am »
Update: so the issue seems to have resolved itself, seems odd that after running the speakers for a while it just stopped happening. It is worth further explanation also. when the speaker "switched" it'd run, but at noticeably lower decibel level and then flip back over to matching the output of the other speaker.  Any Ideas?

Also, coincidentally, my pre amp stopped working shortly there after. It was repaired, but I don't have a diagnosis yet.

I've been reading up on an issue that may have caused this, overcurrent. How would I test the speaker for this? thanks for all your help so far, I'm pretty new to the electronics side of this world.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2022, 04:44 pm »
It really sounds like it is or was a connection issue.

I would double check to make sure you stripped enough of the red varnish off of the woofer inductor to make good contact.