Proper shutdown of Salkstream III?

Saturn94

Proper shutdown of Salkstream III?
« on: 24 Aug 2022, 03:56 pm »
There’s a discussion on the Roon forum about properly shutting down your Roon core device.  Someone mentioned a momentary press of the power button on the device would work, allowing the device to shut down gracefully without risking damaging the Roon database (it was also said holding the power button for 5 seconds would force an immediate shutdown, risking damage to the Roon database).

This has me wondering how the Salkstream III behaves.  Can the Salkstream III be properly/gracefully/safely be shut down using the power button on the unit?  Or is shutting it down using the web browser interface the only way to safely shut it down?

Thanks.

DEP14

Re: Proper shutdown of Salkstream III?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2022, 12:57 am »
Look for the IP address in Roon (Easy enough to find).  Type it into your browser and you will get the streamer "homepage".  You can simply shut it down from the menu there.

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2022, 02:30 am »
Look for the IP address in Roon (Easy enough to find).  Type it into your browser and you will get the streamer "homepage".  You can simply shut it down from the menu there.

Thanks for the response. 🙂

That’s how I’ve always been shutting down or rebooting my Salkstream. 👍  I was wondering if it can be safely shut down using the power button as someone indicated on the Roon forum?

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2022, 06:47 pm »
There are two ways to shut down with the power button.  Press it for a short duration and it should go through the shutdown process.  Hold it for a 3- 5 seconds and it will shut off hard, often without going through the shut-down process.  But my unit has gone through numerous power outages where the units were not shut down properly and all have been just fine. In normal operation, there is no data that is being held in a cache and needs to be written to the hard drive.  So it shouldn't matter that much what process you use.

I say this with a caveat...these are basically purpose built computers and like all computers, once and while they don't behave as expected.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2022, 06:57 pm »
There are two ways to shut down with the power button.  Press it for a short duration and it should go through the shutdown process.  Hold it for a 3- 5 seconds and it will shut off hard, often without going through the shut-down process.  But my unit has gone through numerous power outages where the units were not shut down properly and all have been just fine. In normal operation, there is no data that is being held in a cache and needs to be written to the hard drive.  So it shouldn't matter that much what process you use.

I say this with a caveat...these are basically purpose built computers and like all computers, once and while they don't behave as expected.

- Jim

Thanks for the explanation.  :thumb: