Conversation starter - What chair do you use for critical listening?

Desertpilot

• Retired
I've been beat up a few times because I use a high back recliner for listening to music (and watching movies).  Almost all my music is multichannel surround (typically 5.0).  It's true, I have to turn up the channel volume on my rear speakers to blend in with my X3s.  My room is 30 feet long with absorber/diffusion on front and back walls.

I love my recliner, but maybe it is time to consider a low back chair.  What do you use?  Is it comfortable for 2 hours or more?

Thanks
Marcus

VinceT

Recliner in reclining position = low back chair

Problem solved  :lol:

WGH

The Copenhagen Tammy sofa works for me. The premium leather and firm bottom is comfortable for hours. Back support is perfect for me either upright or reclining.
The fold back headrest and reclining are independently adjustable. The sofa is located little off center so I'm not sitting on the crack. Tammy is also perfect for 2 people on movie night.

https://www.copenhagenliving.com/product_detail/0/0/2167494

A matching Tammy power chair is available
https://www.copenhagenliving.com/product_detail/living/recliners/2167496

Mariusz Uszynski

I wonder what's next????

"WHAT SLIPPERS DO YOU USE FOR CRITICAL LISTENING"

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I wonder what's next????

"WHAT SLIPPERS DO YOU USE FOR CRITICAL LISTENING"

How about "What scotch do you use for critical listening?"

Mariusz Uszynski

This looks very comfortable and has wifi.

DannyBadorine

Dalmore King Alexander III, Glenmorangie Signet, or Oban 14.  I'm still not convinced that cables need break in time but I know that letting the scotch sit for 10-15 minutes makes it taste better.......

Early B.

I've been beat up a few times because I use a high back recliner for listening to music (and watching movies). 

What point are they trying to make??? If you're comfortable, don't change a thing.

DaveWin88

Maybe drape a quilt over the back of the chair.

zoom25

I use this for my console gaming. Perfect comfort wise. Thick padding. Nothing behind head to cause reflections.

Desertpilot

• Retired
Recliner in reclining position = low back chair

Problem solved  :lol:

I actually do this quite often.

Desertpilot

• Retired

A glass of red wine is my choice.

Desertpilot

• Retired
What point are they trying to make??? If you're comfortable, don't change a thing.

I'm with you.  But, I had to ask to satisfy my curiosity.

aniwolfe

The best chair is no chair!  :P

So for me I use a low back mesh computer chair or a low back wood chair. Less is more as they say.

As a test get a  basic stool and see if it sounds different, compared to one of those gigantic lazy boys chairs or IKEA POANG. You will be amazed at the sound quality.

If you must go with something that is heavy leather padded and bulky...at least get something that will NOT cover your head/neck area. Bad chairs in my opinion screw up the soundstage. 

You just need to find the happy middle ground between comfort and sound quality.

« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2022, 10:08 pm by aniwolfe »

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Thanks for starting this thread as I find I'm searching for the "right" chair.

genjamon

If I'm sippin' scotch and relaxin' to the tunes, I need neck support dammit!  Ikea Poang it is - but cloth and not leather.  Easy to move around, and not as heavy as a recliner or sofa.  Good enuff, and definitely doesn't muck up the sound like the faux leather recliner I had for around 6 months many years back.  That said, I don't usually sit and listen much anymore.  Am typically listening in an open living area while doing other things like cooking, playing with my son, or working at the dining room table. 

GeorgeAb

I like this chair as it supports decent posture and back is not to close to my head. I have more of a lounger for home theater.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Maybe drape a quilt over the back of the chair.

That's my solution.

Wayner

Swivel gliders made by The Best Chair Company.

Tarheel

Zero Gravity chairs.