The Eagles have landed with four feet! X4s in Walnut have arrived!

sunmountain

I don't post on forums much, but you guys have been a big help with deciding on the X4s! Thank you!

Just received my X4's yesterday with the new (x4) foot bases. I spoke with Clayton a month or so ago about adding IsoAcoustic feet to the three foot bases and he said that they are working on a four foot base with IsoAcoustics like the X3 and X5 if I wanted to wait. Heck yeah I did!  Took another month, but I believe the wait was worth it!  Initial impressions are WOW! These do just about everything right and are not even broken in yet! I have been building this system for the past 2-3 years and what I have now is the best I have heard in my house and honestly better than a lot at dealers and systems at RMAF. I have had Tekton Lore, Magnepan LRS, Klipsch Heresy III, Klipsch Cornwall IV, Klipsch LaScala AL5 and my temporary, but surprisingly good, Polk R200.  I have tried components from Hagel, Schiit, McIntosh and Cayin.  Among others that I am sure that I am forgetting about.  This system is by far the best combination!  Loving it!

Some speakers that I was looking at during my decision process were Vandersteen Treo CT, Magico A3, Klipschorn AK6, Magnepan, Focal and used market "audiophile speakers". The Vandersteen's were at the top, but just out of my price range. I heard them and they are fantastic! Very similar to the X4s from what I can remember. But, I prefer the X4s.

My System:

Kinki EX-M1+ integrated with upgraded Staccato Opamps. (Tried Burson and Sparkos as well. I prefer the Staccatos) Crazy good integrated! Highly recommended
TEAC NT- 505 Streamer/DAC
VPI Scout Jr. with Soundsmith Zypher Cart
Manley Chinook Preamp
Audioquest Colorado Interconnects
GR Research DIY speaker cables (Basically Kimber 12CT)
IsoAcoustics under everything
Audioquest Fog Lifters - yes I believe in smoke and mirrors!

My buddy helped me unpack them last night and set them up.  Super easy to do and packed with extra care! Easy to mount the speaker baffle to the bases with two very large bolts. Initial set up was easy. Set them up 5' from the back wall, 10' apart and 10' from the listen position. About 33" from the side walls with GIK panels at the first reflection point. This throws an excellent image and the stage depth is amazing! My wife even commented about the staging when I played Can't Stop Thinking About You from Martins Sexton's Live Wide Open album. I would say that they sound more like the Vandersteen's than any of the other speakers I auditioned. And we listened to a lot of speakers before I made my decision. Funny thing is, the X4's are the only speakers I didn't audition.  It was an easy decision after speaking with Clayton, Cloud, Bryan and a couple of others from this forum.

I will be out of town from Thursday through next Monday and plan to let them run the entire time. Hell, they are playing now! Even with just a few hours on them (approximately 13 hours) they sound even better than the initial listen. This could have a lot to do with me getting more familiar to their sound signature. Doesn't matter! These are the best speakers I have had in my house! Hands down!

Here are some photos of my system. It is still a work in progress, but it's getting close! I will have corner bass traps from ATS here this weekend and will set them up when I get back next week.

Enjoy!

Thanks for looking!

Dave

dpatters

Nice setup. The Kinki electronics are top notch. I’m using their preamp and mono blocks in my system. The ATS stuff is very good also. Their diffusers sit behind my speakers.

Don P.

Daryl Zero

SFDude

Very nice!

Do you have the carpet disks or just put the isoAcoustics directly on the carpet as-is?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Envious am I!

I'll definitely spend some quality time in Clayton's room at PAF this weekend.

Congratulations!

sunmountain

Very nice!

Do you have the carpet disks or just put the isoAcoustics directly on the carpet as-is?

Thanks! They are just on the carpet right now. I may get the disks once they are in their final location.

sunmountain

Envious am I!

I'll definitely spend some quality time in Clayton's room at PAF this weekend.

Congratulations!

Thank you!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Your room looks beautiful, the X4's really complement the decor.  And of course the sound amazing too!

newzooreview

Congratulations on the new speakers and excellent system. I have the M3 Sapphires, and you will definitely continue to hear improvements as the high-quality capacitors break in and the big mid and bass drivers limber up.

Are these walnut veneer on top of the birch ultralam used in other X4s?

Or are they veneer over MDF?

My M3 Sapphires are walnut veneer over MDF, and an attraction of the X4s is the ultralam (thicker and stiffer to control energy loss from the mid and bass drivers).

If I understand correctly, these and the painted X4s (the stock black, white, and gray) use MDF, and the only way to get the ultralam is with the clear coat showing the laminations. I think that looks cool, but walnut laminate over the ultralam would be an interesting alternative.

sunmountain

Your room looks beautiful, the X4's really complement the decor.  And of course the sound amazing too!

Thanks Tyson! You were instrumental in my decision to move forward with the purchase! Thank you!

sunmountain

Congratulations on the new speakers and excellent system. I have the M3 Sapphires, and you will definitely continue to hear improvements as the high-quality capacitors break in and the big mid and bass drivers limber up.

Are these walnut veneer on top of the birch ultralam used in other X4s?

Or are they veneer over MDF?

My M3 Sapphires are walnut veneer over MDF, and an attraction of the X4s is the ultralam (thicker and stiffer to control energy loss from the mid and bass drivers).

If I understand correctly, these and the painted X4s (the stock black, white, and gray) use MDF, and the only way to get the ultralam is with the clear coat showing the laminations. I think that looks cool, but walnut laminate over the ultralam would be an interesting alternative.

Nope! No veneer here! These are solid walnut! I spoke with Clayton and he said that these will be just as good as the Ultralam. They look even better in person!

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
I love the solid walnut. Is that a standard option or a custom order?

sunmountain

I love the solid walnut. Is that a standard option or a custom order?

Custom. It was a $750 upcharge, but is worth it!

newzooreview

Wow. Very cool. I like the rounded corners as well.

Hmmmmm.

DaveWin88

You have an excellent room :) I'm curious on how the Gr-research cables sound after sometime. Even with the speakers not broken in, you can hear the potential all day. Oh and please treat yourself to some Haydn / Mozart symphonies. I'm sure you'll be blown away.

morganc

Congrats! That's a beautiful set up and great speakers!  Enjoy.

Mr. Big

I don't post on forums much, but you guys have been a big help with deciding on the X4s! Thank you!

Just received my X4's yesterday with the new (x4) foot bases. I spoke with Clayton a month or so ago about adding IsoAcoustic feet to the three foot bases and he said that they are working on a four foot base with IsoAcoustics like the X3 and X5 if I wanted to wait. Heck yeah I did!  Took another month, but I believe the wait was worth it!  Initial impressions are WOW! These do just about everything right and are not even broken in yet! I have been building this system for the past 2-3 years and what I have now is the best I have heard in my house and honestly better than a lot at dealers and systems at RMAF. I have had Tekton Lore, Magnepan LRS, Klipsch Heresy III, Klipsch Cornwall IV, Klipsch LaScala AL5 and my temporary, but surprisingly good, Polk R200.  I have tried components from Hagel, Schiit, McIntosh and Cayin.  Among others that I am sure that I am forgetting about.  This system is by far the best combination!  Loving it!

Some speakers that I was looking at during my decision process were Vandersteen Treo CT, Magico A3, Klipschorn AK6, Magnepan, Focal and used market "audiophile speakers". The Vandersteen's were at the top, but just out of my price range. I heard them and they are fantastic! Very similar to the X4s from what I can remember. But, I prefer the X4s.

My System:

Kinki EX-M1+ integrated with upgraded Staccato Opamps. (Tried Burson and Sparkos as well. I prefer the Staccatos) Crazy good integrated! Highly recommended
TEAC NT- 505 Streamer/DAC
VPI Scout Jr. with Soundsmith Zypher Cart
Manley Chinook Preamp
Audioquest Colorado Interconnects
GR Research DIY speaker cables (Basically Kimber 12CT)
IsoAcoustics under everything
Audioquest Fog Lifters - yes I believe in smoke and mirrors!

My buddy helped me unpack them last night and set them up.  Super easy to do and packed with extra care! Easy to mount the speaker baffle to the bases with two very large bolts. Initial set up was easy. Set them up 5' from the back wall, 10' apart and 10' from the listen position. About 33" from the side walls with GIK panels at the first reflection point. This throws an excellent image and the stage depth is amazing! My wife even commented about the staging when I played Can't Stop Thinking About You from Martins Sexton's Live Wide Open album. I would say that they sound more like the Vandersteen's than any of the other speakers I auditioned. And we listened to a lot of speakers before I made my decision. Funny thing is, the X4's are the only speakers I didn't audition.  It was an easy decision after speaking with Clayton, Cloud, Bryan and a couple of others from this forum.

I will be out of town from Thursday through next Monday and plan to let them run the entire time. Hell, they are playing now! Even with just a few hours on them (approximately 13 hours) they sound even better than the initial listen. This could have a lot to do with me getting more familiar to their sound signature. Doesn't matter! These are the best speakers I have had in my house! Hands down!

Here are some photos of my system. It is still a work in progress, but it's getting close! I will have corner bass traps from ATS here this weekend and will set them up when I get back next week.

Enjoy!

Thanks for looking!

Dave

Dave, very nice setup! Looks great I noticed the window to the right of the speakers, if you have 2" blinds tilt them upward a bit to make a defuser, and then add some lined curtains they don't have to be light blocking that will really give you better imaging and highs with the GIK panel. I have a large window right between my Sapphire M3's so that was not good for sure. Now it adds with the blinds and curtain and one ASC 4" x 48" panel right in the middle of the window behind the blinds with the curtains you cannot see it.

sunmountain

Thanks for the advice Mr. Big! Blinds are definitely on the horizon!

bygrace

Congrats on the X4s! The walnut is beautiful! I have Cornwall IVs, but am very interested in the X4s. I’ve never had the opportunity to hear an open baffle design. Would love to hear your thoughts on Spatial vs Klipsch since you’ve heard both.