A new X4 ultra owner

Sense63

A new X4 ultra owner
« on: 18 Sep 2022, 07:35 pm »
I just received my pair of X4 ultras a couple of days ago in the Sepele stain over the ultralam.  I only have about 20 hours of playtime on them and will give my impressions once they get at least 50-100 hours logged.  I’ve included a few pictures below.

(NON PROFESSIONAL IMPRESSIONS BELOW)

« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2022, 05:26 pm by Sense63 »

Mr. Big

Re: A new X4 ultra owner
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2022, 07:51 pm »
They look very nice. I see your room is with no acoustic treatment be interesting to hear how they sound.

Sense63

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2022, 07:56 pm »
I do have foam treatment in the corners. 

DaveWin88

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2022, 07:59 pm »
Man those are beautiful speakers.

Sense63

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2022, 08:12 pm »
Thank you.  I think the Sepele finish turned out nice.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2022, 10:42 pm »
Are these your first OB speakers?

Sense63

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2022, 01:45 am »
These are my second pair.

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2022, 02:16 am »
I had OB, then went back to box, and now am back to OB.  Boxes do some things well but man I just love how OB sounds in my room.

Sense63

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2022, 01:19 pm »
There is quite a difference as I'm experiencing.  I think there needs to be much more time for break in as I'm hearing changes daily.

Sp33ls

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2022, 03:17 am »
I had OB, then went back to box, and now am back to OB.  Boxes do some things well but man I just love how OB sounds in my room.
What things would you say boxes do better?

I'm a sucker for scale, dynamics (higher efficiency), texture & tone. Does the X4 excel in these areas compared to most box speakers?

Bingenito

« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2022, 01:39 pm »
Once you get the X4 setup in the room properly the scale and dynamics are on point. Sensitivity... I would say that it is moderate and sounds more like 90ish DB than 93 to me in my room. Not measured just basing that on vs. other speakers that I have had in the room.

Still they can get loud with no problem and I preferred to listen at 75-82db median 11.6ft away

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2022, 04:30 pm »
What things would you say boxes do better?

I'm a sucker for scale, dynamics (higher efficiency), texture & tone. Does the X4 excel in these areas compared to most box speakers?

Yep, the X series scale like a dream.  In fact, IMO they beat box speakers in every area I care about.  The only place I could see someone being disappointed is that box speakers do percussive bass better.  So if you want something to thump you in the chest, a box speaker is better at that.  The tradeoff is that a box speaker's bass is also a lot more boomy and muddy. 

Other than that, it's OB for the win, IMO.

Sense63

« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2022, 05:17 pm »
So……I have about 75 hours logged with the X4’s at this time and there have been definite changes.  Before I go into my impressions, I’ll list my gear for reference:

Speakers: Spatial X4’s (of course), Manger Z1
Source: Aurender N200 music server/streamer, Gato CDD-1 CD player/DAC
DAC: Merason DAC1
Amplification: Linear tube Audio Z40+ integrated, Circle labs A200 integrated
Cables: Belden Iconoclast SPTPC speaker, Belden Iconoclast 4x4 Gen 2 ultra pure Ohno ccc, Belden BAV power cords (10 gauge and 14 gauge, Anti-cable usb level 3.3
Power conditioner:Puritan Audio labs PSM 156

My room dimensions are approximately 12’ x 28’ with 8’ ceilings that have slanted side walls as my room is a loft.  The X4’s are 31” from the side walls and 7’ from the front wall.  They are placed 91” from tweeter to tweeter and 91” from the listening chair.  It took some minor tweaking each day to find the right placement, but once you get it right, you’ll know.

The first thing I can confirm is that the X4’s do need at least 50 hours of playtime to start coming into their own.  Before that, there are ups and downs with bass, soundstage, tone, midrange and treble.  Once I hit 50 hours, much of this evened out and I was able to listen critically.  As others have said, I’m really looking forward to the next 50+ hours and expect things to improve even more.

What I’m hearing at about 75 hours is a tight and tuneful bass.  It’s not overwhelming, but on certain songs that have strong bass, you can definitely hear and feel it.  I would also agree with others that it may not be as impactful as some box speakers, but I actually prefer it as it seems more realistic to my ears. 

Soundstage is one of the many strengths of this speaker.  Once they had some time on them, I noticed the soundstage gradually going from just inside the speakers to about 2 feet outside the speakers.  I’m sure if my room was wider, it would be even more pronounced outside of that.  The presentation is relatively neutral, meaning it’s not forward or recessed.  The music is coming from between the speakers which I prefer, but the music has a relaxed feeling to it with a natural and lifelike sound.  I also notice the music just seems to float above the speakers.

It took a little getting used to the tone, but once my ears adjusted, it is all making sense now.  The tone is spot on and I don’t have to adjust to it while listening which makes listening more like a live concert and more real to me.

I’ve heard some great midrange from speakers like Harbeth, QLN, Magnepan, Tannoy, etc. and the midrange with the X4’s is as good or better than each of those mentioned.  The difference is a special magic that I’m hearing with both female and male voices.  It’s the most lifelike that I’ve heard as they don’t add anything to voices.

All I can say about the treble is “wow”!  Extended but not fatiguing and natural sounding.  Dare I even say slightly on the warm side of neutral?  Best treble I’ve heard south of $20k.

I was skeptical at first about diving into OB, but I’m so glad I did!  I am thoroughly enjoying music now with the X4’s.  No more analyzing but just enjoying.

sunmountain

« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2022, 07:17 pm »
Just wait until you get 500+ hours on these! They are magical!