Major Product Announcement - M4 Ultra

Spatial Audio

• Facilitator
    • Spatial Audio Lab
Major Product Announcement - M4 Ultra
« on: 8 Sep 2022, 12:08 am »
September 07 2022 - Today, we are announcing the introduction of a new premium level M4, known as M4 Ultra. This is a new, no compromise M4 with Beyma mid/woofers from the X4 and a new silk dome tweeter from Beyma (Spain). The 3 inch thick, 80 lb structure is modeled after the X4 to provide world-class bass performance and high rigidity. The machined aluminum support base completes the structure.

The Beyma silk dome tweeter replaces the Sapphire tweeter, which is no longer available. The Beyma unit has a wide frequency range and linear response like the Sapphire M100 tweeter. Crossover point is 800Hz. Factory direct price is $4950 pr. For more information, see our website: www.spatialaudiolab.com

Cheers,
Clayton

RonN5

Re: Major Product Announcement - M4 Ultra
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2022, 12:25 am »
Clayton… best of luck with the M4 Ultra… presumably the M3 Sapphire will be resurrected in an updated format as well.

Question:  does the new tweeter have wide dispersion similar to the Sapphire tweeter?

Spatial Audio

• Facilitator
    • Spatial Audio Lab
« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2022, 12:32 am »
Clayton… best of luck with the M4 Ultra… presumably the M3 Sapphire will be resurrected in an updated format as well.

Question:  does the new tweeter have wide dispersion similar to the Sapphire tweeter?

Thanks Ron,

The radiation pattern is a little narrower (90 deg @4kHz) and very even because the faceplate is a Controlled Directivity (CD) lens.

Clayton

Rthomeint

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2022, 12:03 pm »
I have a few questions about the new speakers.

Are crossover part of the same quality as the X4?

I the baffle construction like the X series?

RonN5

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2022, 12:58 pm »
Clayton, thanks for the quick response.  As you can already see, there will be a lot of questions about the updated M series.  As you know from my posts, I have the M3 Sapphires...they are really, really great sounding speakers...I have three relatively simple questions:

1.  Ron from New Record Day described the Sapphire tweeter as marching up to the point of being edgy..without going over.  I agree, the level of detail without fatigue is excellent.  Does the silk tweeter march as close to the edge...or is it a hair further back...or even further?

2.  This next question is about the low end...not the quality of the bass but the quantity.  The Sapphire's 15" drivers put out a lot of bass (bass quantity), does the M4 Ultra Beyma 12" woofer put out as much bass as the 15" M3 Sapphire woofer?

3.  Does the new M4 Ultra retain an outboard crossover box mounted to the aluminum base?

Thanks again Clayton...I think the more clarity you can provide regarding the updated M's, the more new orders are going to be flooding in!

catluck

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2022, 12:54 pm »
Clayton,
What happens to the M3's in the field if their tweets fail/damaged? Is the Beyma a direct replacement? X-over mod's necessary?  OR, do you anticipate the peerless unit coming back on line in the near future?

Mr. Big

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2022, 02:02 pm »
Clayton,
What happens to the M3's in the field if their tweets fail/damaged? Is the Beyma a direct replacement? X-over mod's necessary?  OR, do you anticipate the peerless unit coming back on line in the near future?

Looking at the design of the M3s are would guess we could update the tweeter and buy 2 new crossover boxes and have an updated speaker which would be a great value and easy to do due to the crossover over being plug and play. In fact, I will be all for these options and am willing to pay for them. I love silk dome tweeters. Be good for Clayton and the owners.

catluck

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2022, 02:23 pm »
Mr. Big,
I'm with you. I also own the big Merlins using Dynaudio Esotar D-330's silk domes, reputedly among the finest ever made. And, yes, I love their presentation. So silk domes are OK with me.  The replaceable x-over? That's fine as well.  What, though, send the old x-over back to Clayton? Toss it? Actually, upon thinking about it (rare, I know), there isn't supposed to be much of an M3 x-over, correct? A resistor in-line with the tweet and maybe an inductor for the bass drivers? Isn't that about it?

Mr. Big

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2022, 12:31 am »
Well, the design is great to order a new crossover takes the old one off and put on the new one. No muss no fuss. I have no issue with that at all. Tweeter would just be inserted it in the M3 if you wanted to try a silk dome. In fact you have both tweeters so if you wanted to change the sound a bit you could or your preference. Win, Win for all. Good business also.

AndrewA

« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2022, 04:50 pm »
The M4 is listed as a two-way, while the X4 is described as a 2.5-way, implying that the upper woofer in the X4 is being used in a different way (different crossover) than in the M4.  Is that right?