New Member - hello!

deanchen

New Member - hello!
« on: 11 Jul 2022, 07:12 am »
Hi all - was a big headphone guy for the last 10 years and started getting more into speakers around a year ago. Found this forum via google and look forward to participating in the community!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New Member - hello!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2022, 07:23 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2022, 12:11 pm »
Welcome!

The switch from headphones to loudspeakers is very involved.  First is the room.  Avoid small/squarish/uninsulated/undedicated rooms.  Next pick loudspeakers that suit your tastes and the room.  Shopping for loudspeakers isn't easy.  Take your time and take notes to force you to really compare.  And if you go with passive loudspeakers you'll need a power amp (that mates well to the loudspeakers).  Ideally you'll add 3 or 4 subwoofers to deal with inherent in-room bass peaks/dips.  With the "right" room treatments are optional.  All this cost money and takes time.  But the benefits are better imaging and sound staging. 

I did headphones while in college dorms, an ideal solution there.  Eventually I've settled into single driver loudspeakers which have several advantages, especially when using subwoofers.  But I've also tried active monitors in recent years, which I like very much.  They also have inherent advantages. 

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2022, 12:23 pm »
Welcome!