Burn In Skeptic, Maybe Not

77SunsetStrip

Burn In Skeptic, Maybe Not
« on: 20 Jun 2022, 03:43 pm »
Rebuilt crossovers in multi $K speakers a few months back with good quality, not expensive, parts.  Immediately after, the speakers had more dynamics and life.  Good recordings really stood out as much better than average recordings.  A very disappointing experience was AC/DC Live CD.  A very thin and irritating sound.  OK, chalk it up to a poorly mixed live recording.  My favorite music and artists were very pleasing, so AC/DC goes back on the shelf.

Yesterday, in the mood for some pin your ears back rock and roll.  Gave AC/DC Live a try that had not seen the light of day in months  Did somebody replace my CD in the dark of night?  The difference was too great to ignore.  Sounded Great!  Is it possible burn in made the difference? 

mkrawcz

Re: Burn In Skeptic, Maybe Not
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2022, 04:02 pm »
Yes, poly caps usually undergo a lot of change over the first 50hrs. They cause the music to sound congested and thin.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2022, 07:09 pm »
GR Research speakers?
Crossover parts bought from GR Research?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2022, 10:26 pm »
I've been there man. Sometimes it is subtle but clear, and then there are some of those Copper foil caps.... Man, those things go through a transformation.

77SunsetStrip

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2022, 11:25 pm »
GR Research speakers?

Crossover parts bought from GR Research?

No. From a loudspeaker company with a long history in the business. 

Upgrade parts not from GR Research.  Project inspired by Danny's videos, my research led to parts selection.