Removing M3 Grill Covers?

DaveWin88

Re: Removing M3 Grill Covers?
« Reply #40 on: 16 Jul 2022, 11:45 am »

OK guys. I was thinking out loud and before someone starts breathing in a paper bag haha,  a crochet needle would probably work?

AllanS

« Reply #41 on: 16 Jul 2022, 12:58 pm »
Paper bag only if trying on my own speakers.  I’m not sure what you have in mind but I’d be concerned about poking a hole in the fabric on the way in and/or damaging the ring and fabric on the way out if it slips.

DaveWin88

« Reply #42 on: 16 Jul 2022, 01:00 pm »

Here's a photo of the inside. The crochet needle at the edge right where the inner ring is should be just fine. Crochet needles are meant for fabric, and the inner ring will be fine trust me :)

DaveWin88

« Reply #43 on: 16 Jul 2022, 01:08 pm »

Personally I would be comfortable doing it on MY speakers alone, but please just take the suggestion with a grain of salt.

DaveWin88

« Reply #44 on: 16 Jul 2022, 01:11 pm »
Paper bag only if trying on my own speakers.  I’m not sure what you have in mind but I’d be concerned about poking a hole in the fabric on the way in and/or damaging the ring and fabric on the way out if it slips.
I hear you AllanS. Probbaly a bad idea overall. Just trying to think about options. SCRAP the idea people SCRAP the idea.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #45 on: 16 Jul 2022, 02:39 pm »
Is the grill ring plastic or wood?

DaveWin88

« Reply #46 on: 16 Jul 2022, 03:07 pm »
Best I can tell it looks like wood? MDF?

DaveWin88

« Reply #47 on: 16 Jul 2022, 03:21 pm »
You know guys when I used the pinch the fabric as close to the edge as possible method, I had to hold the speaker from moving with my knee. They're on there that good. Just use your finger tips. It will take four or 5 very small incremental movements and it will be painful for a few seconds each time. I'm an old man haha so yeah everything is more painful.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #48 on: 17 Jul 2022, 11:18 pm »
I guess I'll add my 2 cents.  I have four dachshunds.  I know, the minute I remove the subwoofer covers (X3s), the dogs will go into "high" play mode and "crash" into one of the subwoofers.  Gotta keep them on for my own sanity.  I could remove the mid range cover but the WAF will object, as she has in the past.

So, better sound or not, the covers in my situation, stay on.

Marcus

DaveWin88

« Reply #49 on: 18 Jul 2022, 01:06 am »
I guess I'll add my 2 cents.  I have four dachshunds.  I know, the minute I remove the subwoofer covers (X3s), the dogs will go into "high" play mode and "crash" into one of the subwoofers.  Gotta keep them on for my own sanity.  I could remove the mid range cover but the WAF will object, as she has in the past.

So, better sound or not, the covers in my situation, stay on.

Marcus
Nothing wrong with that. They do look sooo dang good with the grills on. I'm kicking around the idea of replacing the grill fabric with something more sheer?

DaveWin88

« Reply #50 on: 20 Aug 2022, 04:46 pm »
OK guys. I was looking at options for grill cloth material and found this site. Seeing the Spatials look so damn good with the grills on, this is very promising. I'm going to reach out to them Monday.

You can see the grill on the table, then when in his hands. Looks pretty dang transparent front on.
https://www.speakerworks.com/

catluck

« Reply #51 on: 21 Aug 2022, 01:20 pm »
Would love to try the more transparent fabric but STILL can't remove the grills. Afraid to tear the fabric and they're just in there so tightly.  Oh well...I'll just have to continue enjoying the M3's as is.

DaveWin88

« Reply #52 on: 21 Aug 2022, 04:42 pm »
Would love to try the more transparent fabric but STILL can't remove the grills. Afraid to tear the fabric and they're just in there so tightly.  Oh well...I'll just have to continue enjoying the M3's as is.
You can do it buddy. Man those grills aren't playing around though. Just put one back on and they are on there damn good. Here are a couple of photos to show how little you can get in there. But just pull a couple mm at a time, then move just right below it and do the same. Working around it a bit.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #53 on: 21 Aug 2022, 08:17 pm »
I wonder if that's No-See-Um netting in the video screenshot?  It'd be an easy thing to try with the screen retention bead that Spatial is using. It's not as bulky as knitted fabric so grill retention, which appears to be friction fit, may be affected. It's my go-to grill cloth now. Can you link the video, I'd be curious to watch?

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139529.60

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/54-No-See-Um-Mosquito-Netting-499-linear-yard_p_92.html

DaveWin88

« Reply #54 on: 21 Aug 2022, 09:29 pm »
I wonder if that's No-See-Um netting in the video screenshot?  It'd be an easy thing to try with the screen retention bead that Spatial is using. It's not as bulky as knitted fabric so grill retention, which appears to be friction fit, may be affected. It's my go-to grill cloth now. Can you link the video, I'd be curious to watch?

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139529.60

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/54-No-See-Um-Mosquito-Netting-499-linear-yard_p_92.html

Not sure if it's the same product as you are using? If you click the link at the bottom of my post, go to about us. It's a VERY broad description of the services they provide. So no real detailed info.