New Toy

Early B.

New Toy
« on: 4 Jun 2022, 04:17 pm »
For many years, I had been searching for a simple digital source -- a device that could store my music files and connect to my 2-channel system. A couple of weeks ago, I had an old friend visit and he hooked up his iPod (yeah, that old thing) to my system. It got me wondering if there are similar, audiophile-quality devices, so I reached out to a technically-oriented audiophile who sent me wading in the field of DAPs (digital audio players) which are designed for the headphone guys. I eventually purchased an iBasso DX320 and hooked it up to my DAC. I was stunned. It sounded great!!! At least as good as my transport. The interface is as simple to use as your cell phone. I even downloaded an app that allows me to use my phone to control the music app on the DX320.

https://www.moon-audio.com/dx320-digital-music-player.html
I'm guessing a less expensive DAC should work just as well, but make sure it has coax output capability if you plan to hook it up to your DAC.

newzooreview

Re: New Toy
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2022, 08:19 pm »
I eventually purchased an iBasso DX320 and hooked it up to my DAC

Looks cool. What role is it playing in your system? If you hooked it up to your DAC (via its coax output?) then where is the music stored and what function is the DX320 providing?

Early B.

Re: New Toy
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2022, 10:27 pm »
Looks cool. What role is it playing in your system? If you hooked it up to your DAC (via its coax output?) then where is the music stored and what function is the DX320 providing?

The DX320 stores all of my music files and provides the interface to access them. It "replaces" my CD transport and offers all the conveniences of digital playback such as creating playlists, categorizing music by genre, etc. If I want to get more complex, the DX320 connects to my home network and has Bluetooth, so I can pull music off the cloud or a dedicated music server if I want to (but I don't want to). The DX320 runs on Android 11, so it can also perform virtually any function a cell phone can do. In fact, I ordered a Samsung Tab A7 to use instead of my phone for the larger display.

A comparable, audiophile-quality music server/streamer would cost a helluva lot more money.