High Pass Filter

ahaiden

Re: High Pass Filter
« Reply #40 on: 25 Aug 2022, 04:04 pm »
Here's the insides of that same filter

Here’s my version, but I’m getting really bad noise come in through these. I can tell why, since there’s a decent amount of exposed wire, but what can I do to fix this? Thanks!

DLStryker

« Reply #41 on: 4 Sep 2022, 01:44 am »
Can I ask what amp or amps you are using?

Rolling off my nx-otica at ~55hz (3db point) via XLR to amp from my modified schitt fretya + (changed all coupling caps to VCAP ODAM) for 95% of songs it doesn't need it, but when I listen to some really heavy EDM songs with a lot of 20-30hz I will bottom the mid drivers when I am playing quite loud. I just don't want to worry about it. 27k input impedance amp so I used 4 0.1uF VCAP ODAM

I tried sonic caps for fun on the high pass filter, sound was okay but lacked a lot of clarity and punch

Then I tried the miflex pure copper, lot more meat on the bones and better detail across the board

Then I tried VCAP ODAM, without burn in - WOW. FAR better than the above two. VCAP ODAM had everything the pure copper miflex did but added far more details but the biggest thing was the SPACE between notes and THE SOUND STAGE BECAME MASSIVE. I then let 400 hours on them and I about cried at the sound. They sound better with these caps then without them. Using 4 perfectly matched to 0.2% tolerance since doing balanced XLR cables from preamp to amp.

I have my nx-otica using all vcap ODAM bypassed by dueland pure silver 0.01 on the tweeter and the mid cap bulk cap is the sonicap but with a 0.1uF vcap ODAM over the miflex and then another 0.01 dueland pure silver and the detail, musicality, and soundstage is just utter next level real.

I personally wouldn't use a miflex anymore after hearing the VCAP ODAM.

ahaiden

« Reply #42 on: 23 Sep 2022, 12:56 am »
Here’s my version, but I’m getting really bad noise come in through these. I can tell why, since there’s a decent amount of exposed wire, but what can I do to fix this? Thanks!

Any help on this?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 23 Sep 2022, 02:45 am »
That's really odd, my guess would be either a bad connection somewhere, it's being placed too close to other electrical devices, like a transformer within an amplifier or other electrical device, and it's picking up a lot of electrical noise from it, like an antenna, or it's somehow creating a massive ground loop.

Does the sound go away if you touch the outer housing of the full range output, or does get worse?

If it's acting like an antenna, or has to be kept close to powerful transformers then using some copper shielding kits on the inside like you see for guitars may be a good idea to reduce/prevent EMI issues.
https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/shielding/self-adhesive-shielding-kit/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2022-09-gp&gclid=Cj0KCQjwj7CZBhDHARIsAPPWv3d3h9QOx80RGneVEPEByXqoI-8k1tidif-GergTGkJRliAVUdPDJKQaAsMyEALw_wcB

I would also check if it's causing a ground loop. Do both connections exhibit the same noise issue? does it exist if only one connection is made, or is it only with both connections are used that the issue arises?

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 24 Sep 2022, 08:42 pm »
Any help on this?

I am kind of wondering if it is a ground connection issue.

whydontumarryit

« Reply #45 on: 25 Sep 2022, 04:06 am »
Any help on this?

Those solder joints are horrible. It's probably diode effect from the cold joints causing RF pickup.

1. The leads ends are tinned first.
2. A good mechanical conection is made to the solder tabs before soldering.
3. The ground tabs should be positioned between 2 nuts not compressed between one nut and the plastic case.
4. You need to apply enough heat to allow the solder to flow uniformly without spent solder sticking to the iron when removed.
5. Practice.

ahaiden

« Reply #46 on: 26 Sep 2022, 07:44 pm »
I hadn’t had any issues all weekend. I run my music off of a desktop, but today as soon as I arrived with my work laptop to put in more hours at home the sound started again, so I’m wondering if it’s picking up WiFi noise.

Edit:As soon as I got done working I turned off my work laptop and the issue went away. So it’s definitely causing some signal to be picked up by my filter.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2022, 11:02 pm by ahaiden »