Cyclops revisited

jMelvin

Cyclops revisited
« on: 19 Mar 2022, 12:25 pm »
Hey guys .. it’s been a while. I’ve had my Cyclops for about 10 years now and recently put it back into service after a 4 year hiatus. It only went into storage because I decided to pursue a long time SET curiosity and purchased a Decware SE84UFO. I’ve been very happy with my little Zen amp but for a change of pace this winter I swapped back to the Cyclops. I decided to pair it with my Mark & Daniel Ruby loudspeakers. Boy, I had forgotten just how good this combination is. These speakers are terribly inefficient (82.5dB/2.83V/1m) with a nominal impedance of 3-6 ohms. The Cyclops, which was the Extreme level back then, never even breaks a sweat, driving the speakers with power and finesse. Fantastic sound quality. I’ll be living with this system for the foreseeable future. Happy to be back.

Ed_Zachary

Re: Cyclops revisited
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2022, 09:36 pm »
Old One-Eye is a strong amp with plenty of Triple A mojo packed inside. As long as you avoid backing off a ladder and stepping on a binding post (story told elsewhere, and every word is true), it should last pretty much forever, or 20+ years and maybe by then you're looking at a re-cap. Maybe not. Parts quality in these amps are pretty darn stout.

Mine drives a pair of JBL 4311Bs, which were en vogue (especially the "civilian" version, the L-100s) back when I was in school. The L-100s that still run are likely on a 3rd or 4th refoam, the 4311B drivers are still working fine, I rebuilt/rewired the crossover networks in '09 (a good how-to exists in some detail on *another board*). Of note to audio historians with a taste for the bizarre, one Mr F. Zappa used 4311s to mix and master several of his albums. If only he had had some Odyssey electronics...

My girlfriend despised this picture.

jMelvin

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2022, 10:30 am »
I need to read about your ladder incident! A link perhaps?

Ed_Zachary

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2022, 09:47 am »

jMelvin

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2022, 07:50 pm »
LOL .. thank Ed. Stout amps and parts indeed!