Need Help troubleshooting my system

morganc

Need Help troubleshooting my system
« on: 3 Mar 2022, 03:10 am »
I Need help:  today my system shut down mid day.  Now there is a 1db output from one speaker only in the tweeter at max volume. 

My system now:

Monoblock Amps--> Don Sachs Pre--> Audio Mirror Dac--> Streamer

It was playing well this AM, I was home alone, touched nothing.

Thoughts on how to easily troubleshoot?  Cables are all connected and all components powered up..

abomwell

Re: Need Help troubleshooting my system
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2022, 10:28 am »
Wow, that's a bummer! It seems unlikely that both monoblocks would fail so the logical culprit is the streamer, DAC or the preamp. Do you have a CD player you could hook up to the preamp using its analog outputs? If so, and the system works with it, the problem is likely the streamer or DAC, not the preamp or amps. If it doesn't work it, it eliminates the streamer and DAC as the issue and the problem is likely the preamp. If it does play then hook up the CD player's digital output to the DAC. If it doesn't play using the digital output, but did play with the analog outputs, the issue is likely the DAC. Of course there could have been a power surge that knocked out more than one component but let's hope that didn't happen and go for the low hanging fruit as described above. Good luck!

Al :roll:
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2022, 02:01 pm by abomwell »

Mr. Big

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2022, 02:16 pm »
I am guessing your amp is due to having some output, but then you have a tube preamp and perhaps a tube blew, and they can go quickly. If you can hook up your DAC to the amp and have volume try that 1st, if you have sound from the speakers you know it is the preamp. It is a bummer though. Bane of owning Electronics sometimes they need repair. Lets us know what you find.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2022, 02:28 pm »
As these guys are saying, try to isolate one component to eliminate possibilities.
Also be aware that it could be specific inputs so change those around if you aren't finding the problem.

geerock

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2022, 02:37 pm »
Check the rectifier tube in the preamp.

morganc

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2022, 04:10 pm »
The rectifier is cool to the touch. I changed all other variables and the problem still persists so new rectifier has been ordere.  Thanks y'all.

geerock

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2022, 08:02 pm »
I thought so.  That tube is the only dual cathode in one bottle tube ever made.  And its surprising how inexpensive they are.  But order a few at a time.  They're pretty available right now.  But when they're gone or get scarce.....