Spatial Audio M3 Triode Master Mini (Center Channel)

theater_lover

I'm posting this here first before I share it with a wider audience.

Last year I picked up a pair of M3 Triode's and loved their sound... particularly for home theater.
However, I was missing a matching center channel.  After not finding anything that would exactly work, combined with wanting a project, I decided I would make my own mini M3 Triode.  And if you are making one, why not make two?

Trying many 3D designs, I decided on something elegant with matching dimensions (but 33.5" tall), and started to pull the parts together.

At around this same time, a M3 Triode upgrade kit (crossovers and compression drivers - from Spatial Audio) was put up for sale.
I also purchased identical new woofers, the same wiring, same grill cloth, and bought the legs from Spatial Audio.
The body was CAD designed and machine cut from two layers of 1.25" thick MDF (same as the originals).
I looked and looked for matching paint and it turned out that Duratex was extremely close and a tough coating.
Lastly, I wanted a very slight upwards angle so the center would hit the same height in space as the originals and bought sets of Hudson isolation feet.  They fit perfectly and work great.

After way too much time and effort... here is the result.

If you would be interested in buying one of these from me, please let me know.  I am keeping the other.  I've been using the other one I built for about 4 months now... amazing as a center.

In every way these are of OEM quality with new or OEM parts.  The only area that could be improved is the final finish.  I did it by hand (with about 12 steps of sanding/seal coats/paint coats) so it isn't paint booth perfect, but from listening distance in normal light, you can't tell.  I made the photos bright enough so you could see the finish clearly.

« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2022, 09:50 pm by theater_lover »

ric

Re: Spatial Audio M3 Triode Mini (Center Channel)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2022, 02:22 pm »
Wow, beautiful job!

theater_lover

Re: Spatial Audio M3 Triode Mini (Center Channel)
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2022, 02:08 am »
Thank you.  It was a fun challenge.

theater_lover

Re: Spatial Audio M3 Triode Master Mini (Center Channel)
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2022, 09:50 pm »
This is now listed for sale in the trading post.

theater_lover

Re: Spatial Audio M3 Triode Master Mini (Center Channel)
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2022, 06:26 pm »
A little bump just letting those who may be interested know that this is still available.