Sub Experiment on X3's

MichaelHiFi

Sub Experiment on X3's
« on: 7 Feb 2022, 10:16 pm »
I was listening to my system (as I do nearly everyday now) God-smacked about how this system can make anything one throws at it sound so frickin good. Finally my wife stopped reminiscing about the
LS6's...  :thumb:

Was letting Qobuz play some random music and along came a song from Soundgarden - Superunknown album - forgot the name of the song. the bass notes came in and was jaw dropping. The bass impact was pretty insane and it left another impression on me. Then a thought occurred to me (it happens sometimes), what if I took the SVS Ultra 16 subwoofer sitting in my HT setup and installed it, temporarily, with my 2 channel X3 system? I lighten the load on the X3 subs slightly and let the SVS take us down to twenty Hz? It doesn't cost anything (well not yet anyway...).

This I found may not be possible unless someone here can help.

My integrated does not have any audio outputs. However, the plate amps on the back of the X3 do but of course only speaker cables are attached. I don't know who the plate amp vendor is so I don't know what is possible with only that analog signal, probably nothing.

Thoughts?

Mr. Big

Re: Sub Experiment on X3's
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2022, 12:25 am »
If your sub has speaker connectors on the back then just get a set of speaker cables and come off your amp, the amp will not see any load, the upside is the subs are easier to blend in, and they take on the same sonics from your amp as you main speakers are doing.

James Edward

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2022, 12:47 am »
 I looked up the SVS 16, no speaker level inputs.

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2022, 12:12 pm »
I was listening to my system (as I do nearly everyday now) God-smacked about how this system can make anything one throws at it sound so frickin good. Finally my wife stopped reminiscing about the
LS6's...  :thumb:

Was letting Qobuz play some random music and along came a song from Soundgarden - Superunknown album - forgot the name of the song. the bass notes came in and was jaw dropping. The bass impact was pretty insane and it left another impression on me. Then a thought occurred to me (it happens sometimes), what if I took the SVS Ultra 16 subwoofer sitting in my HT setup and installed it, temporarily, with my 2 channel X3 system? I lighten the load on the X3 subs slightly and let the SVS take us down to twenty Hz? It doesn't cost anything (well not yet anyway...).

This I found may not be possible unless someone here can help.

My integrated does not have any audio outputs. However, the plate amps on the back of the X3 do but of course only speaker cables are attached. I don't know who the plate amp vendor is so I don't know what is possible with only that analog signal, probably nothing.

Thoughts?
I have an SVS SB16 as well as X5's, but keep the HT and 2Ch separate. I tried it briefly at line level from preamp outs and decided it just wasn't worth the effort to get the integration to the level I like. I also demo'd REL Carbons, which have speaker level inputs, and still preferred the X5's by themselves. I'm a veteran of 4 sub setup from my days with Geddes Abbey's, so I probably could have made it work, but ... it is a LOT of work and the X5's bass is already very satisfying in my room. Guess I'm getting lazy in old age lol.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2022, 12:18 pm »
I have an SVS SB16 as well as X5's, but keep the HT and 2Ch separate. I tried it briefly at line level from preamp outs and decided it just wasn't worth the effort to get the integration to the level I like. I also demo'd REL Carbons, which have speaker level inputs, and still preferred the X5's by themselves. I'm a veteran of 4 sub setup from my days with Geddes Abbey's, so I probably could have made it work, but ... it is a LOT of work and the X5's bass is already very satisfying in my room. Guess I'm getting lazy in old age lol.

Not lazy...smart and wise.

You have learned to enjoy the gear and what it produces!!   :beer:

George

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2022, 12:19 pm »
Not lazy...smart and wise.

You have learned to enjoy the gear and what it produces!!   :beer:

George
Exactly  :green:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2022, 07:44 pm »
Thanks gentlemen. I think it's a good thing it won't work or I would try it find that - it won't work  :lol:

Getting room treatments today. My energy way better spent.

Like George and Tom said "enjoy the music"