Sapphire M4 review

franSSS

Sapphire M4 review
« on: 31 Jan 2022, 06:48 pm »
Brand new Spatial Sapphire M4, the 1st 15 Minutes impressions.

On Saturday 29.01.2022 I tested positive for COVID. 3 Days after the 1st signs of COVID.

On Monday 31.01.22  Spatial M4 Sapphires delivered to my drive way.

Happily  :thumb:I was notified in advance of their arrival by the delivery company. Bravely I fortified my inner person for the auspicious occasion.  Munching on 3 Sto-pain tablets which I washed down with a triple espresso. Press on Brave Soldier I stuttered whilst fighting back a sneeze.

Eyes red, rolling like a chameleon in breeding season I appraised the big boxes being offloaded. Thinking to myself, “these things are big and will be difficult to handle”.  Soon i found myself sucking on a strepsil to calm the coughs (I sound like a mistuned v8). I set about the sweaty job curtsy my friendly COVID to assemble the pair. Surprisingly easy to unbox for one man with COVID I discovered.  In addition easy, really easy to install the footplate (“Suppose maybe I am not that sick after all?”. “Smile Mr”, I murmured to myself. “You had two Vaccines”). With a Huff and a Puff (ok I am lying, make that ten) they were playing with in the hour.   A couple of huffs more, and less puffs than previously, I cleared the stage for their moment in the sun. The setup is not ideal at all in my lounge. Half my household goods stashed here due to renovations. Cramped for space etc, TV in-between.) They are not set up in the right spot either. All just make shift to hear the obvious “difference in sound” at start-up.

Quick comparison Sapphire M4 vs Polk lSiM 707
“My Eyes can’t see Nobody” Bee Gees, the 1st track on hand.( NUDGE NUDGE WINK WINK) Out of the box the Sapphires sounds a bit smaller in sound, almost like there is less, but for the 1st time I hear voices in the mix I never heard. More airy, more open. Better instrument separation. Percussion sounds less smeared at the end of each strike. But less, like it needs a bit more body.

Treble.
More “Bright” but weirdly nor sharp or harsh on the ear, only on certain passages does it seem to err towards too bright. Most people will likely never pick it up but it seems highlighted in certain passages the other areas is most acceptable. I am hypersensitive to bright, sharp or piercing sound. (Nope I am not unique; many/most audiophiles are hypersensitive to it.) The 707’s have silk dome tweeters.

Mids.
More defined than the 707’s. Yet the 707’s seem to sport more warmth.
Perhaps a bit less substance than the LSiM 707?

Bass.
Less pronounced than the LSIM 707’s, weirdly I do not find them seriously lacking in bass in this situation. Will I want more bass? Yes, oh yes, I want more bass! However the Bass comes over across as more “defined” and “clean” which is good for the male auditory system, Unlike woman we battle a bit with separation and placement within a group of noises. Seems when Noise filters were handed out the guys was playing golf.

Final Thoughts
Overall conclusion at 15 minutes of playing with tintus in the left ear drum and Covid bashing the right? The Overall M4 sound signature gives the impression of more balance, more coherency, yes, more free.  Even without proper setup there is more soundstage and better instrument placement.

At 1st the M4 sound is “less of a statement”.  It does not mean inferior? Nope, not at all.  There just seems to be more meat on the bones with the 707’s Like the one is a medium roast Coffey and the other Dark.

Keep in mind in general the Polks LSiM 707 get quite a bit of love as stereo speakers. They upscale sound particularly well as you improve on front end gear by all accounts.

Anyhow, I realize I am in for a 500 hour plus stint. With up and downs, same a COVID. We ride the wave, and bravely press on, what else?  :D

18h45. Chris Rea. “You can go your own way”
Just noticed the presentation is more get up and dance along compared to how it sounds on the 707’s. And that i like.

Gear used
Currently Speakers Driven with Aragon Palladium’s 1k. Pre Amp Freya+ Cd Player CEC TL51XR
Waiting for LTA Z40 I Ref +. ETA Feb if production goes well
Lampizator Amber. Present for a couple of months. Have not even opened the box yet.
Anticables 3.1 Present, but not yet connected. The 3.1’s will have their work cut out for them. They are up against a pair of Harmonic Technology Pro-9 Reference External Bi-wire speaker cables. The Harmonic cables floored my jaw the 1st time I heard it. Especially, since I too believed it to be impossible for cable to make much of a difference. Was I wrong?!

Will add some stuff as it gets time to perculate….

Tarheel

Re: Sapphire M4 review
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2022, 07:58 pm »
Wow what timing!  Feel better soon.....I want to hear more about the Spatials! 

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2022, 08:42 pm »
I feel so sorry for you.  I had a similar problem way back in 2002.  I had just bought a brand new set of speakers.  After setup, WHAM, a serious sinus infection with headaches plus both my ears plugged up.  It was soooo miserable, especially looking at brand new speakers I could hardly hear.

Get well soon!

Marcus

RonN5

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2022, 10:10 pm »
Congrats on the speakers....but.....Hoping for a quick recovery...

A few comments on your M4:

1.  compared to box speakers, they are so open that it will take a while to get used to a sound that doesn't have the box midrange and may initially seem brighter....its not, its just an openness and an overall tonal balance

2.  over the next 400 hours, the speakers will change a lot...and you will end up with really good bass and a really good top to bottom balance.  But, the bass may not have that hit you in the chest impact of a big box woofer...but the tone will be much more realistic....and if you need the thump, you can always add a sub and bring it in about 40hz where it will have minimal/no effect on the tone.

3.  And if you get the positioning correct in relation to the walls and the seating position correct in relation to the room nulls, the soundstage will be wide and the sound presentation itself will be big...my M3 Sapphires sound so much like live music sometimes that it can be disconcerting to experience such a sound in your home.

Good luck and keep us updated.

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2022, 04:24 pm »
FranSSS, has your health gotten better? I sure hope so - I really want to read how the X4's sound has changed for you during the interim period. If I had hearing & health ailments with new speakers from Spatial, I would certainly want to set them up to break (in in a way that doesn't drive everyone else at home crazy) and get them ready for "prime time" listening when feeling all better. My M3T's took a couple of YEARS to break in, but now that they have, I can't imagine ever parting with them - and want to buy a pair of X4s!! Please follow up when you have your health back and your fingers limber enough for typing your thoughts concerning the X4's.

rich121

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2022, 04:48 pm »
Looking forward to your updates!

I came down with Covid January 19.... had it for a week, then it turned to pnemonia...was pretty rough for about 5 weeks... still not 100%...

I much prefer the Covid to pnemonia!  :)

Stay healthy!

franSSS

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2022, 08:41 am »
Hiya All!!!

Thank you for your kind wishes on my health. All though i dont have COVID any more it seems i have long Covid where the huffing and puffing will stay for like 3 months. I still get mean coughing attacks every day but i press on.

Since i am renovating and painting my house i dont have much time to to listen. In addition the speakers are cramped into my bedroom and they are completely out of alignment so i can not judge the sound. What i can say is there is less sharpness in the highs so it seems to have smoothed out to nicely in my room.

What is a marked difference is i find i am now listening to music and not sound. I will lay on my bed and just enjoy the music. With my other gear i focused more on the sound. I suppose this tells me something about my older gear.

The music remains open and less constricted compared to box speakers. At this point i dont see any value pursuing any other gear.

As for the Amber 3 dac. I still have not listened to it in the system with the z40i +.  I am so keen to hear this combination compared to my Furutec stratos dac.

i think they may have about 120 hours on them now give or take

i will update again once i have the gear back out into the dinning room.

franSSS

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2022, 08:46 am »
FranSSS, has your health gotten better? I sure hope so - I really want to read how the X4's sound has changed for you during the interim period. If I had hearing & health ailments with new speakers from Spatial, I would certainly want to set them up to break (in in a way that doesn't drive everyone else at home crazy) and get them ready for "prime time" listening when feeling all better. My M3T's took a couple of YEARS to break in, but now that they have, I can't imagine ever parting with them - and want to buy a pair of X4s!! Please follow up when you have your health back and your fingers limber enough for typing your thoughts concerning the X4's.

Hiya Mr.

Thank you for your kind wishes. I have the M4 and not the x4 set. However as per Claytons comments there is not much different in sound signature. The x4 is more directional compared to the M4. So i can walk around and still enjoy great sound.

geerock

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2022, 08:18 pm »
Fransss
Get that Amber in the chain.  Those Lampizator DAC's are really something special.  I just found a Golden Atlantic used and will be using it with the LTA Ref 40 + and a Don Sachs pre driving X5's.  Very very nice.  That DAC should bring me closer to audio nirvana.
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2022, 01:09 am by geerock »

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2022, 12:15 am »
I can relate about bad timing and the arrival of heavy gear.

This past Sept. a pair of floorstanding speakers (70 lbs each box) arrived at my front door exactly 3 weeks after undergoing total knee replacement surgery.  What a shit show that was, without help, me flip-flopping them end-over-end up a staircase (15 steps) into my condo.    :o    Sometimes the addiction empowers us with extra determination.   :lol:

Hope you are on the road to recovery, and enjoying your new speakers!   :thumb:

franSSS

« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2022, 11:02 am »
Fransss
Get that Amber in the chain.  Those Lampizator DAC's are really something special.  I just found a Golden Atlantic used and will be using it with the LTA Ref 40 + and a Don Sachs pre driving X5's.  Very very nice.  That DAC should bring me closer to audio nirvana.

You are telling me! i simply cant wait. Enjoy your system. i would love the Golden Atlantic but out of my budget. :-(

franSSS

« Reply #11 on: 9 Mar 2022, 11:04 am »
hhahaaa Sunnydaze i can just imagine the pain you suffered. Makes for a memorable experience!

sunnydaze

« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2022, 12:19 am »
hhahaaa Sunnydaze i can just imagine the pain you suffered. Makes for a memorable experience!

Made for a memorable dent in my liquor cabinet!     :rotflmao: