Dipole sub?

abomwell

Re: Dipole sub?
« Reply #20 on: 2 Feb 2022, 04:01 am »
No, I purchased the Martin Logan Depth I subs. The reviews were excellent. I'll see how well they work with the X5's.  I used to have SVS SB 3000's which were also excellent and I almost purchased them again but I was intrigued by the design of ML's. And a number of reviews made a point of saying how great they worked with their Quads.

abomwell

« Reply #21 on: 2 Feb 2022, 02:03 pm »
 The best way to hook subs up is by high-level speakers connections on the sub from your amp, REL does this also, Martin Logan does also, this way the subs tale on the same sonics as your main speakers. Your amp See's no additional load due to the sub being powered design. Much better than running interconnects from a preamp sub out or line out.
[/quote]

I'll certainly try the high level speaker inputs. I had Rel's that did work well that way. But if I use the subwoofer outputs from my my DSPeaker Anti-mode X4 Preamp/DAC it will integrate the subs with my X5's when doing automatic room correction. I set the crossover frequency and it will set the phase, volume, time delay and EQ's the subs. And by using the crossover at, say, 30Hz, it will give the X5's plate amp more headroom and eliminate clipping. Theoretically, I would think the X5's sub would function with reduced distortion as it's excursions will be shorter not haven't to play below 30Hz. But it's nice to have a choice and most other subs don't offer that.

Mr. Big

« Reply #22 on: 3 Feb 2022, 12:59 am »
The best way to hook subs up is by level speakers connections on the sub from your amp, REL does this also, Martin Logan does also, this way the subs tale on the same sonics as your main speakers. Your amp See's no additional load due to the sub being powered design. Much better than running interconnects from a preamp sub out or line out.

I'll certainly try the high-level speaker inputs. I had Rel's that did work well that way. But if I use the subwoofer outputs from my my DSPeaker Anti-mode X4 Preamp/DAC it will integrate the subs with my X5's when doing automatic room correction. I set the crossover frequency and it will set the phase, volume, time delay and EQ's the subs. And by using the crossover at, say, 30Hz, it will give the X5's plate amp more headroom and eliminate clipping. Theoretically, I would think the X5's sub would function with reduced distortion as it's excursions will be shorter not haven't to play below 30Hz. But it's nice to have a choice and most other subs don't offer that.

The subs using the speaker connector inputs if they are designed that way will always blend better and easier then using the inferior line RCA inputs. That is a fact.